Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 728 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You call that dinky little thing a knife?

Now. THIS is a KNIFE. Actually. A 175th Anniversary of the Alamo Commemorative Bowie Knife. A 21 inch wall hanger,from Colt Firearms, that I had to have. After all the 175th Anniversary of The Alamo only comes around one time. 1836 was also the year Colt was founded.

Attachments

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Beautiful piece and a keeper for sure.
A few years ago an auction on Ebay offered one of the prop Bowie knives used in the Alan Ladd movie "The Iron Mistress" - with provenance proving it was what it was claimed to be.
I wanted it badly - and put it on my watch list - but when the bidding went above $2000.00 I quit watching.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Now THAT'S what I call a "KNIFE"!

·
Registered
977 Posts
that will sure look great hangin the wall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Remember the Alamo!! With all the drug cartel problems down that way, it makes me wonder if we're headed for a re-match of the Texas war for independence. I believe Texas is good for another win. Put me down for $100.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
That ain't a knife - it's a machete! That's a beauty, but you're going to need a bigger belt :D.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Knives and such

Are any of you all fans of knives as well as guns? I really like knives myself. I used to have quite the collection, but most of it went to pay for school tuition, etc. I used to do only custom (handmade) knives, but now I do factory as well. Here are some of the few I have left. Please let us know if you enjoy cutlery, and if so, show us some pics! :D

1. Terry Ridge (Swamp Fox Knives) patch knife -- custom
2. John Park Ikabana/kiridashi -- custom
3. J. McGowan rescue kiridashi -- custom

4. Ed Chavar Fang neck knife -- custom
5. Cold Steel kiridashi -- factory
6. Fred Perrin kiridashi neck knife -- custom

7. Dick Atkinson folder -- custom
8. SOG AirSog folder -- factory

9. Pachmayr Model 200 hunting knife (yes, Pachmayr made a knife) -- factory
10. George Anderson fighter/hunting knife -- custom
11. John Freeman fixed blade pocket knife -- custom

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Nice, never started collecting knives, have a couple old ones laying around that i don't know much about, note even sure how I got them. I know one is a Girl Scout knife. Maybe I can find them and post a picture.

I always have a knife on me, however it is usually some cheap knock off that I done mind abusing and disposing of when no longer useful.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I have a bunch of knives that I have accumulated over the years. Some customs such as a Bob Dozier drop point hunter (that my SF son scarfed for his last trip to Afghanistan), a D.B. Fraley tactical folder, and a Charles Marlowe tactical folder that has been to Iraq with me twice. A bunch of factory knives by designers like Elishowitz, Daryl Ralph, and Ken Onion. A Chris Reeves SF graduation knife, a Bob Engnath chute knife blade that I finished and gave to my oldest son when he graduated Jump School, another chute knife blade that I finished and gave my youngest son when he graduated Jump School, and a host of other knives that I've bought or made over the years.

·
Registered
31,743 Posts
Over the years, I've started collections, however the better knives in my collections have been Case, K-Bar, Buck and Bone factory knives.

I've always bought my sons knives, and for the past six Christmas's mostly cheaper knvies, but occasional Gerbers, My two oldest grandsons carry a 4" folder regularly, and I think they are Gerber Skelaton type.

Rarely in my life have I carried a pocket knife, as I don't like much in my pockets other than money. I may start carrying a clip-on in case something really crazy happened with my firearm. I do uses knives a lot, but most of that work is utility knives.

Still, I do manage to have a good little collection of hunting knives, again, nothing custom.

Speaking of Cutlery, my 19 year old son started selling CUTCO kitchen cutlery to work his way through college. At first I was skeptical until I was telling one of my seller's what Keenan was doing, she had a 40 year old set and had raised 5 kids. They still looked great. Then I found they were made in Olean, New York. I spent some time in Olean in my younger years and Learned Olean and not but 50 miles away Bradford, Pa. were both well known for cutlery. I even bought 4 knives for kitchen use ($300) and I love them.

Okay, I did get off topic, however I'm sure there are other merits to custom knives than just being hand made.

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
Here is a few of my carry knives and on collector . My more expencive collection I don't show.

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have 2, a Shrade pocket knife and a bayonet made for the M-16 rifle I carry on my belt. Not a knife man, guess that's why I have three 9mm pistols, lol!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I like knives, but really don't collect them. I have things like Buck, and Gerber. I've carried a pocket knife for years. My current is a SOG.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Jake3501 -- I enjoy custom knives because they are made by one man or woman, and they can have options that the factory can't give, e.g, different types of steel, handle materials, your own designs, inherent value, and craftsmanship just to name a few.

gwk1951 -- Love that katana! Is it a bring home trophy?

45 Forever -- Me too 45. When I still had a top notch collection, I had Loveless, Herron, Kressler, Horn, Johnson, Lile, etc. that not everyone was able to see. It was one of the hardest things having to sell them....

·
Registered
145 Posts
I started out on Cold Steel and haven't had the cash to give too many other manufacturer's a chance. My first was a Large Voyager 1st Gen Clip Point...fully serrated. I've since acquired two Gunsite II Tanto folders (lost one of them), another Full-serrated clip point voyager, a 2011 Tanto Voyager (plain edge), and I found a 1st Gen Spyderco Delica somewhere that was missing a pocket clip but it's been my sharpening project. All the Cold Steel blades rotate EDC duty. Got my eye on a Hogue EX-01....sexy looking blade!

·
Registered
16,283 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
The Bowie in my second pic was made by Western Bowie in the 60's and was issued to American special forces in Vietnam. Its vary sharp and holds a edge vary well. It has a great balance and is heavy enough to cut off a arm. Its know wonder that its the most copied knife in the world.

Reactions: Hogbuster
1 - 20 of 728 Posts