Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple buddies and I were talking the other day and the topic drifted to oddball gunshop/pawnshop finds. So, I bring the topic to you all.

What's the strangest production gun you've ever ran across? Let's limit it to production guns.

Customs can get into a whole different level of strange. If you have the money, you can get someone to build you pretty much anything you want. Like the drilling with an S shaped stock that a local shop has had for 30 years. It was built for a right handed shooter that was blind in his right eye. It was strange. With a proper cheek weld, the gun lined up with your left eye. It was chambered in 16 gauge for the pair of shotgun barrels and the rifle barrel slung below and between them was chambered in one of the 9.3mm's.

I have 2 weird production guns that stand out. Both Rugers, oddly enough.

I saw 2 NIB P-89 in .30 LUGER (the barrels were marked) for sale.

I was told that they were part of an attempt by Ruger to break into foreign markets that won't allow civilians to own guns chambered in current military rounds.

Then there was the stainless 5 1/2" original model Vaquero that was chambered in .40S&W.

Here again, the original box was there and it was so marked from the factory. The story I was told was that some Sheriff's Dept out west ordered a pair of them for each of their deputies and then didn't want all of them.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nobody's seen anything unique?

Must just be me.

The strangest rifle I've ever seen in a shop was a Steven's Favorite single shot that was outfitted for Schultzen shooting with the hooked buttplate and everything. Came with a removable palm rest and a tang sight. It was priced right and I was sorely tempted except for one, deal breaking thing. It was chambered in .32Rimfire.

The oddest shotgun I've seen is a tie between a single shot boy's shotgun from Europe (it had about a 10" LoP) that was chambered for a 9mm (size, not 9x19mm) shotshell and a No.1 MkIII SMLE riot gun that was a single shot .410. The mag had been removed from the Smellyand a wooden plug was permanently affixed in its' place.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Not a firearm, but a firearms accessory...

While searching for wood grips for my S&W PPK/S-1 I once saw a pair of faux ivory grips for a Walter PP(K/S) with both a Nazi emblem (an eagle holding a sphere with a Swastika in it) and a poor rendering of nude woman holding a snake crudely carved/etched into them. I remember staring at the grips in complete disbelief at first, questioning who would want grips so obscene, much less be willing to pay the ridiculous price they were listed at. (Which was so high I can't even remember the price, my mind completely blanked it out.)

Reactions: one42A

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
How about a Krag-Jorgensen in 6.5x55 with Nazi inspection marks? A friend had one he bought off a coworker that needed money. It shoots beautiful, but to me ruined with the German military marks. However, for $200 it was a steal. Also a Swedish Mauser with Finnish marking.

Maloy

·
Super Moderator
36,149 Posts
I once had a Charter Arms AR-7 pistol. It was an ugly POS.
Mine shoots GREAT. It's a far better shooter than my Phoenix Arms HP22.....okay, not a high bar there. :rofl: Anyway, it's accurate, reliable, and has held together well over the years.

Yes, I won't argue with the ugly part. :rofl:I paid 70 bucks for it.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I also have some kind of survival carbine replicant by Springfield. It's a single shot .22 or .410 breakopen with storage in the stock. You fire it with a grip squeeze. I have a Stevens Favorite in .22, but gave it to a kid with no money for a gun who wanted something in his apartment. A single shot .22 wasn't much, but beat the ball bat he had.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
One of the old timers I knew had one back in the early 90's. He let a lot of us shoot it. I wasn't impressed especially since I was doing pretty good with a Remington TC 870 at the time.

I think use back then they ran around $1,000.00.

Maloy

Ljutic space gun they were really made and sold as high dollar trap guns https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...com/2013/01/ljutic_space_gun.jpg&action=click
Here is a article on them The Ljutic Space Gun: For aliens who shoot trap...

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Winchester Hotchkiss cavalry carbine of 1883. It was clean and complete for $300.00 and I passed it up. That was in 1984 or very early 1985 in Western Washington somewhere on the Olympic peninsula; I don't remember the name of the little shop. I cuss myself every time I remember it.

·
Registered
37,951 Posts
I own one of these little uglies.

AHH, Yea I can do twice that bad!!
I own 2 of them, but they really shoot quite nice and fit about everyones hand it seems.

Attachments

Reactions: ColoradoJim

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
How about a Krag-Jorgensen in 6.5x55 with Nazi inspection marks? A friend had one he bought off a coworker that needed money. It shoots beautiful, but to me ruined with the German military marks. However, for $200 it was a steal. Also a Swedish Mauser with Finnish marking.

Maloy
A Norwegian WWII Krag with NAZI proof marks is worth a whole lot more than $200 on the collectors market.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Super Moderator
40,776 Posts
R.J. Braverman Stinger. Mine is a 22 but they made it in 25acp also.
View attachment 360025
Wish I had the one that used to reside in the top drawer of my parents nightstand when I was a kid growing up, .22 and it also had tear gas cartridges with it. If I remember correctly there was two ends with it depending on .22 cartridges or tear gas cartridges.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.