Taurus Firearm Forum banner

The NRA is a calling you

1K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Ironmagz 
#1 ·
Got a telemarketer type call from the NRA today. Pushing 5 year renewals etc..The rates were ok - but I am P.O.'d that they are resulting to telemarketing and pushing early renewals. Their abject failure in 2014 in recognizing that 594 in Washington State was the actual battleground - not ensuring Mitch and his cronies took over the Senate. This failure to focus has done more damage and created the Bloomyberg model for a state by state dis-information campaign funded by the billions of his and his fellow demon's.
Then to use that abject failure as their taq line during the telemarketer call to try and drive renewals really put me off. Since I recently renewed , I politely declined the first,second,third, and fourth offers , finally told the numnut on the other end of the phone that if she tried one more tactic from her cheat sheat I would immediately cancel my membership and not so politely hung up.
I know they need our ( the common guy ) money to fight the battle - but really doesn't it seem that they are acting more like Mitch and his buddies than the shooting sports organization that we all have supported. Making me re-think my future with the NRA. :-\

#2 ·
One reason I dont like them (amongst many) is exactly what you are talking about and why they do not get my money.

Reactions: silverstring
#4 · (Edited)
i get my membership from taurus, i got 2 more years last year and 1 more so far this year alone

#5 ·
I used to get those calls, too. After I explained to the last telemarketer that I was a lifetime member, she sheepishly apologized and took my name off the call list, I guess, as I've gotten no further calls. This was about a year ago.

And I'm considering replicating this (lifetime membership) with GOA. I'm already on their breaking news distribution list.

#6 ·
They were basically harassing me. I won't answer a call unless I know who it is. I finally answered and asked if it was the NRA, yes they said. I asked why they backed dirty harry reid and now asking for funds to defeat him............er ahh mnnn............yeah, I told them don't call me anymore and call harry for a donation!!!:mad:

#9 ·
When the NRA had Lifetime memberships for $300 I bought one.
Now I gather their magazine and ads from the mailbox and head straight to the trashcan. They are getting as bad as AARP.
They don't have our phone number. Somehow I think someone less than trustworthy put in the wrong number for us on their application.
I will be joining GOA shortly.

#10 ·
I have used different tatics over the years depending on the situation. My favorite was to start by acting a bit deaf, then a bit slow, then ask for a better offer, send them to their "supervisor", pretend to forget the discussion while they were gone, etc. until they choose to hangup. Most times though I tell them I am not interested and if they don't respect that then I hang up.

I am with the others. The NRA has strayed.

#12 ·
I may not agree with everything the NRA does, however I will continue to pay down my lifetime membership as quick as I can. The range I am a member at requires NRA membership to be a member, something to do with the insurance rates for the range.

#13 ·
You're taking the long route. I upped to lifetime a year or so ago when they had lifetime memberships "on sale" for ~$300 . . . ;D

#15 ·
I missed the $300 deal but scored a $500 deal. $25 every 3 months, I'm trying to do $25 every 2 weeks to get it done. They did give me a partial credit for being in the middle of my 1 year membership, and if my calculations are right I got a credit from a Taurus gun purchase as well.

#14 ·
They've been doing this for a long time. Just hang up on 'em if you don't want their offers. That's what I do. They're a good organization, been a member off and on since the age of 14. They're just pushy, but I've gotten used to it. Back when I had a good paying job and excess cash for such, I'd toss a little their way now and then unsolicited to the ILA. But, I never humored their spam calls.

#16 ·
Just tell them that you have to go right now, but if they give you there home number you will be happy to call them back between the hours of midnight and 3am

#18 ·
I just told them to take me off the call list (in a polite, professional manner) or they'd not be getting any money from me again, and that took care of it. Only time I had a problem is when they sent an unsolicited dvd with a "bill". I called them on that one and complained and asked not to receive any snail mail either, the representative I talked with that time was quite argumentative but did as I asked in the end. Haven't seen any mail or received any calls in a long time.

#19 ·
They are a big organization with big costs, they have to be diligent on the money collection calls. I really like GOA because they seem to be very lean and seem to be very efficient with what they do get.

I also took advantage of the 300 dollar lifetime membership a year or two ago, but I still get lots of calls from them wanting money, though I don't answer very often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.