Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Taurus G3
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Wanted to share (bore you all with) results from my range trip today. 3rd time ever firing a gun or any type (well, except BB/paintball guns). I took a lot of the advice I’ve received from on here and from surfing videos online and must say they helped a ton! If I do say so myself, I am very very pleased with the range trip. I took my KS CCW class yesterday but had already qualified from my second range trip for the basic handgun class I took a couple weeks back. Some notes:

* Mainly practiced my shooting from 7yds. At this range all shots were center mass in the 8-9 rings (two handed grip and one handed right hand). Did slide to 5 for a group and out to 10 for some groups. As you can imagine I sprayed a few as the distance got further out. The group in the “throat area, Was at 10 and I was actually aiming at the ”7” (honest *****)

*all headshots were from 7 and 10 yards.

*did some left hand one handed from 5yds and they were all center mass.

*majority of “sprays” were one 5 shot group I did from 15 yds.

*Taurus G3 continued to eat up the ZQI 124gr NATO round. 100 rounds through it. Did have one no fire, but used the second strike capability (nice) and it went bang. Absolutely no other issues and that makes none in about 250 rounds.

Continue to be very pleased with my purchase and with joining the gun community. Now if we could only do something about ammo prices and availability! As always, comments and advice are welcome. Happy shooting, all!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Dude looks proper ded to me. 🙂

·
Registered
Taurus G3
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I count three or four warning shots there. Otherwise, good shooting!
Darn, that’s harsh! Haha. Yeah that low left off target one was back at 15 and I have no idea what the hell I did on that one. Maybe trying to shoot him in the knee like our President would like.

I know the target range said 7 or 10 yards, but I am quite sure is was closer to half a mile.

·
Registered
Taurus G3
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's some good shooting for a noob.
I hope you're practicing clicking off the manual safety. It's never too soon to develop that habit.
I did that when practicing the “draw” or from the ready work area stance (pistol close). Not every single time tho, I must admit. Been doing that with dry firing at home.

·
Super Moderator
36,490 Posts
Excellent outing! 9mm ammo should reduce in price in the next 6 months as supply and demand stabilize. The larger calibers will always be more expensive. Acquiring a 1911 in 45 ACP led me into hand loading.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Darn, that’s harsh! Haha. Yeah that low left off target one was back at 15 and I have no idea what the hell I did on that one. Maybe trying to shoot him in the knee like our President would like.

I know the target range said 7 or 10 yards, but I am quite sure is was closer to half a mile.
The guy or gal next to you shot that low shot. That my story and I'm sticking to it

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I did that when practicing the “draw” or from the ready work area stance (pistol close). Not every single time tho, I must admit. Been doing that with dry firing at home.
Don't underestimate dry fire practice. It ain't live fire but it's good for getting the motions down and working in front of- and beside- a mirror can help you figure out what you are doing right- or wrong.

·
22,542 Posts
You're going to have to change your username soon; you're already past shooting like a noob.

I'll second what has been said about dry fire practice. I'm a huge believer. It's even better if you have a laser training round. Link I have these for just about every caliber I ever carry. I recommend them highly.

·
Registered
36,481 Posts
That's some good shooting for a noob.
I hope you're practicing clicking off the manual safety. It's never too soon to develop that habit.
another thing that I do when practicing is to only load 5 rounds in each magazine, that allows me to pratice mag changes, you should not need to look down or for the mag release button, and keep the sights basically pointed at the target while doing this and replacing the new mag of ammo.

·
Registered
36,481 Posts
The guy or gal next to you shot that low shot. That my story and I'm sticking to it

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
hey have had that happen----and it was was with three lady police officers practicing for their annaul qualification.
yea they did favor Barnet Fife a little bit!--LOL

·
Registered
Taurus G3
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
another thing that I do when practicing is to only load 5 rounds in each magazine, that allows me to pratice mag changes, you should not need to look down or for the mag release button, and keep the sights basically pointed at the target while doing this and replacing the new mag of ammo.
That’s exactly what I did. Did one 10 round load, a couple 2 rounds for mag change practice, the rest 5 round loads. Wanted to focus and get each shot as right as I could.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
That’s exactly what I did. Did one 10 round load, a couple 2 rounds for mag change practice, the rest 5 round loads. Wanted to focus and get each shot as right as I could.
Boxes of ammo come in an amount that is divisible by 5, so why not do it? It keeps you from having loose rounds.

If you only have a couple of mags, loading 5 instead of filling the mag gets you back shooting rather than loading when you're on the range. Last time I checked, ranges charge by time, not rounds fired. Loading 5 keeps you shooting so you get more bang for you buck.

There's also the standard of a 5 shot group th bear in mind, too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts