Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I have the new .40 caliber handgun picked out and ready to go, I'm wondering what to do about a long range/high power rifle. I believe I have settled on .308 for a caliber, just debating on which way to go. I held a Thompson Center yesterday and it felt quite nice in my hands and had a quick shoulder. Per Aesthetics (haven't found one locally yet) I am looking at a Ruger Gunsite Scout. That puts my price point around $800-ish, but I'd be more than happy to spend less lol.

What do you guys own, and what would you recommend? I hear Savage makes a good .308 with the axis, but I should also look for something with accutrigger, although I'm not entirely sure what that is lol. Also the Remington 700 series looks nice and is a couple hundred cheaper than the Ruger. I'll figure optics out once I get the rifle, but I don't believe I'm looking for anything with an "out of the box" scope.

Let me know guys.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Well I was treated to a Rem. 700 SPS Varmint in .308 w/26" barrel last Nov. for my birthday:) :) What a wife I have! :) Anyway I very happy with it. I put a cheap Tasco 6-24 on it that I had lying around & a bipod. I'm still working up loads but hit the range on Sunday & put 3 shots in 9/16" at 100yds. with Nosler 150 BT. Time to reach out farther! :) It's a tad heavy with the Varmint barrel but I won't be carrying it around in the woods. Only hunting will be dogs in the desert.

BW

Attachments

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Premium Member
14,418 Posts
Per Aesthetics (haven't found one locally yet) I am looking at a Ruger Gunsite Scout. That puts my price point around $800-ish, but I'd be more than happy to spend less lol.
Unfortunately, all the Ruger GSRs I have seen are going for $900 to $1000+ thanks to the recent gun buying frenzy.

I just picked up one last month shown in the pics below. It is not marketed as a long range rifle, but as a short, light rifle that can make medium range shots. I got mine expecting nothing more than 300 yards if it were to see that use. I'm sure it can hit 600 yards if the target is big enough.

I only have the standard issue 10 round magazine right now, and I have 3 of the polymer 10 rounders on back order with Ruger. The online gun seller's pricing of these mags is ludicrous right now. Here's what the polymer mags look like. Liberty Tree Blog: Breaking Down Ruger's New Polymer GSR Magazines

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Mine was $625 OTD with a $50 mail in rebate. I expect to get to 1000yards shortly! :) I like the looks of that GSR! What optic is that?? I suppose I'll have to spend as much if not more for a better scope for mine.

BW

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
.308 is an excellent choice...I`m kinda kicking around what BW64 has.... Also interesting is that scout rifle decisions decisions.....MMMMMM

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I have a Ruger American Rifle in .308. I have a Nikon 3-9X40 BDC scope on it. With my handloads I've got .7" groups at 100yds and under 1.2 at 200 yards. This is a gun and scope that I have $530 in. I am very very pleased. My next test batches I hope to fire at 300 and 400 yds. I'm also getting ready to order a 4-12 scope for it since the 3-9 is off of my Mini 14.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do like that Remington 700, although I prefer the tactical style with the heavy barrel. Still not a bad price point. A few hundred off of the GSR. Plus I've seen some of the upgrades for the 700 that cost substantially more than the gun does lol.

Once again...decisions, decisions. Although this should be my final piece of the puzzle as far as aquiring necessary items to have in one's collection.

·
Premium Member
14,418 Posts
What optic is that??
It's just a Simmons ProHunter 4x32 handgun scope I had on another rifle with a forward scope mount. It's not the best scope for this use, but the eye relief is good on this gun and it has held up to a couple hundred rounds or 7.5 Swiss and a few rounds of .308. I'll probably use it until it breaks since it's paid for.

Yet! The iron sights are pretty dang good on their own. If you like using a ghost ring style aperture sight, this set up is pretty good.

·
Premium Member
14,418 Posts
I do like that Remington 700, although I prefer the tactical style with the heavy barrel. Still not a bad price point. A few hundred off of the GSR. Plus I've seen some of the upgrades for the 700 that cost substantially more than the gun does lol.
I forgot to mention that Mossberg has a few rifles that have some tactical style to them, and word on the 'net is that .308 versions are coming this year.
Mossberg & Sons | MVP Series
Gun Review: Mossberg MVP Predator | The Truth About Guns

·
Premium Member
14,418 Posts
I have a Ruger American Rifle in .308. I have a Nikon 3-9X40 BDC scope on it. With my handloads I've got .7" groups at 100yds and under 1.2 at 200 yards. This is a gun and scope that I have $530 in. I am very very pleased. My next test batches I hope to fire at 300 and 400 yds. I'm also getting ready to order a 4-12 scope for it since the 3-9 is off of my Mini 14.
That's good shootin' and more than likely better than the GSR will ever do from what I've read. With Winchester White Box FMJ, mine has shot as tight as a 1.6" 5-shot group at 100 yards with that handgun scope I mentioned. That is, in its limited time in my hands. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
That's good shootin' and more than likely better than the GSR will ever do from what I've read. With Winchester White Box FMJ, mine has shot as tight as a 1.6" 5-shot group at 100 yards with that handgun scope I mentioned. That is, in its limited time in my hands. :laugh:
And either will put food on the table!!!! I hope to get a GSR some day, sweet rifle for sure, the American Rifle for me was pretty much a pragmatic budget project.
It works.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Take a look at the HOWA line of rifles. I like the 10 round detachable magazine in case you run into a big town of Prairie dogs, which is what I hope you meant when speaking of dogs.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
The Axis .308 I picked up was a good deal,just had to change the mounts and put a good scope on it,stock's kinda wobbly, I may modify, found out how from another forum named S....e shooters. seems pretty easy,bolt lift's a little hard but Its smoothing out.Its gonna be a very precise shooter OTB. looked at a Rem 700,and a Ruger American too, but I was working on a shoestring(max plastic) and the wife said 'you want that rifle?'(god I love her!). I also had a 110 in 30-06 long time ago loved it, it was a tack driver when I was doing my job.

·
Premium Member
14,418 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
chicharrones, thanks for the link, I would have to concur.
And those talking about the Howa's, great value for sure and have heard nothing but good about them. The same rifle also wears the Weatherby Vangard logo, so it can't be too bad!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.