Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know Taurus discontinued the model 85 lite View. They said it was due to the fact that owners complained that the action would get dirty from firing and show through the Lexan side plate. Others believe it was discontinued for lack of sales. The good news is that it is back in stock, but now with an aluminum side plate matching the rest of the frame. At under 10 ounces it is the lightest .38 snubby. I just ordered one from Buds with an offer of $355 shipped! That's a lot less than the $500 prices being asked on Gunbroker for the old model. I'll post pics and a range report in a few weeks. The new model number is 2-850019NV.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. There's sure not much info there. No photo and no description. I hope you get what you think you are getting! :)

Taurus 2850019NV 85 38 1" Stainless NO VIEW $358.00 SHIPS FREE

They also seem to have the standard discontinued View for $10 more and in stock:

Taurus 2850019 85VTA 38SP 1" TI/ALUM/SS $368.00 SHIPS FREE
Wow! I hadn't looked for the VTA. I would want that one so I just sent them a note to see if I can change my order from the No View to the View. LOL I'll let you know how they responded. I find it weird that they should now have the view in stock since it was discontinued by Taurus. Perhaps Taurus has begun producing both versions? :eek:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Perhaps Taurus has begun producing both versions? :eek:
I don't know. I was at the SHOT Show last week in the Taurus booth asking questions about the View and the new plate and other stuff and nobody mentioned that you could still get one. So who knows?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! I hadn't looked for the VTA. I would want that one so I just sent them a note to see if I can change my order from the No View to the View. LOL I'll let you know how they responded. I find it weird that they should now have the view in stock since it was discontinued by Taurus. Perhaps Taurus has begun producing both versions? :eek:
Here's the answer I received. Looks like they listed the old view in error.

A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #718393 with the following response:

Thank you for contacting BudsGunShop.com! We sincerely appreciate your patronage.

Unfortunately, we do not have model 2-850019VTA in stock, sir. I am very sorry about this situation. However, we do have 2850019NV in stock:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I bought one of each because I heard they had been discontinued. The size is very nice, fits well in a pocket, and a great backup gun in a holster. The Don Hume JIT belt slide for a Taurus 85 works very well, without giving up the value of the size reduction of the View (or non-view.) Recoil is snappish, one box of .38's per range trip is enough. Anyone know of a good 110gr load, standard velocity?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I ordered a Non-View off of GB ..paid in the ballpark of what Buds asked ..but I know what I'm gettin ..

Heck its like opening up a "mystery grab box" at the LGS when you get something from Buds...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
As you know Taurus discontinued the model 85 lite View. They said it was due to the fact that owners complained that the action would get dirty from firing and show through the Lexan side plate. Others believe it was discontinued for lack of sales. The good news is that it is back in stock, but now with an aluminum side plate matching the rest of the frame. At under 10 ounces it is the lightest .38 snubby. I just ordered one from Buds with an offer of $355 shipped! That's a lot less than the $500 prices being asked on Gunbroker for the old model. I'll post pics and a range report in a few weeks. The new model number is 2-850019NV.
I know this is a pretty old post but is the revolver from Buds the same as the view but with an aluminum side plate?

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
I bought one of each because I heard they had been discontinued. The size is very nice, fits well in a pocket, and a great backup gun in a holster. The Don Hume JIT belt slide for a Taurus 85 works very well, without giving up the value of the size reduction of the View (or non-view.) Recoil is snappish, one box of .38's per range trip is enough. Anyone know of a good 110gr load, standard velocity?
My recommendation is...
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 38 Special :: 38 Special 110 gr FTX® Critical Defense®

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
They should make a 007 edition and call it " A view to a kill"

·
32,528 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts