Taurus Firearm Forum banner

The new Taurus "Slim" PT709

46K views 122 replies 34 participants last post by  jlentz 
#1 ·
Any thoughts on the PT709 that should be out later this year? It looks like a nice single stack 9mm that could give Kel-Tec's PF9 a run for the money, or leave it in the dust.

#7 ·
NYPD in AZ said:
It's nice---but not even close to the PF-9 in width and weight.
No, but close to width is good. The PF-9 is .88? My 24/7 Pro Compact is 1" and has a double stack magazine. My guess is the Taurus will be around .92. So any single stack close to the Kel Tec in width is okay by me. That and I like manual safeties which the Kel Tec does not have. I've also handled two Kel Tec PF-9's. The blued finish was absolutely awful. It was uneven. In some parts dull and in some parts more glossy. The HC version I handled was so much nicer. I'd buy one of those if I were so inclined.

Still, if 19 ounces WITH mag is what the Taurus weighs then it's only 3.5 ounces heavier and will hold one more round, a manual safety and have a trigger I'm familiar with.

#8 ·
On another shot show blog posting by the same author as the link cited above, it said that the 709 is single action? That surely must be an error. DA/SA perhaps, but I cannot believe that it is a cocked and locked SA.

#11 ·
Wow not only did I miss this pistol I even missed this post...?

#12 ·
Seems that the company has listened somewhat to buyers, but the other makers having this type on the market finally brought them around to a single stack.

After bemoaning the loss of PT908 as a model and no replacement for it this might be the thing we've been waiting for. More in depth info would be nice though.

#19 ·
zigz said:
Hey guys, first post.. Wondering if anyone knows or has a guess on the price range of the 709. Im very interested in getting it but with a gun show comming up in my area i dont know if i want to wait!
Unfortunately, the 709 is not available yet. (It was introduced a few weeks ago at the SHOT show) Probably won't be available until the end of the year at the earliest in my estimation.
Price would be comparable to the Millenium Pro series I assume.

#20 ·
zigz said:
Hey guys, first post.. Wondering if anyone knows or has a guess on the price range of the 709. Im very interested in getting it but with a gun show comming up in my area i dont know if i want to wait!
Welcome to the forum, glad you could join us. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

#21 ·
Just looking at Taurus' website and they have posted the 709 as "available" but no price listed and none of the links in the description are working. It does say its 6" long, making it as long as the 745, I'm personally wondering about its height as I'm looking for a pocket pistol. I'd buy a 745, but no one has them in stock locally and I want to make sure it will work as a pocket gun before I buy.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=611&category=Pistol

#22 ·
Just for giggles, Taurus says that several models are coming out at the end of this month. Telephone # 1-800-327-3776 might get the answer. That's the new Customer Service telephone number. The old one still works. Just costs to use the old one.

#23 ·
I want one of these so bad. Its about the size of the KelTec PF-9 but its an 8+1 instead of the 7+1 and it looks 10 times better. I like the Glock/Sigma style take down which leaves just the safety and slide lock on the side, I still dont know what action it is because on the website the specifications say SA but the description says DAO? I dont care either way, I just want one!

#26 ·
You know whats really scary! The 709 holding 8+1 weight is listed at 19 oz (do not know if that is empty or full)
the PT111 is listed at 18.7 oz, again not sure if that is full or empty.
the 745 is listed at 20.8 oz.
So again, until it is in our hands who knows what the darn thing weighs or how big it actually is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.