Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Form the other post I had with Titan Reloading I will say I am absolutely impressed with their service.

So I received the parts I was missing on my Lee Pro1000 press but was using it anyways. When I received the press it was set up for 38/357 and the case feeder slide doesn't fit or work with the 9mm or 380acp cases. So all along I have been loading w/o it and hand placing every case into the shell plate. Reliable but slow. Now I have the correct Small case feed parts in place and wow what a difference. Don't know what I've been waiting on for so long to do this. Maybe it was because the press was new to me and I had never used a progressive press before.

For now I am caught up on my loading for both the 9mm and 380 until I can shoot the test loads I have waiting. I will have to say that now I have to change my whole routine when I use this press and I can't wait to try it out on a full run.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I've been using Titan for a few years, always happy with their service.

Progressive presses are fascinating to watch in function, I'm amazed they work as well as they do.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been using Titan for a few years, always happy with their service.

Progressive presses are fascinating to watch in function, I'm amazed they work as well as they do.
I am absolutely thrilled with the service I received from Titan Reloading.

The Lee Pro1000 is about as simple as it gets with progressives as far as I have seen and with only three stations it is very easy to watch. I do use it just as it was designed including the on press priming. The 3 things I've learned that are a must with this press; 1. the press must be mounted rigid, there can be no movement if going to use the prime system. 2. Keep it clean from debris including loose gunpowder. 3. Don't jerk it around like a madman at a nickel slot machine.

I truly believe this press is much more reliable and versatile than people give it credit for. For all that think otherwise sent your junk my way and I'll put it to use. Lastly with the new model I truly also believed that Lee would upgrade it to the 4 hole turret in keeping with the new turret presses.

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
unlike progressive politicians progressive presses are a thing of beauty and get a lot done in a short time
Well, progressives ain't for me. All they produce is headaches. I've shelved both my Pro 1000 and my Dillon Square Deal and gone to the Lee turret. With cap jams and other such screw ups figured in, I load a lot faster on the auto index turret and fixing it when it screws up is a lot simpler. I'd rather rebuild the engine in my truck than mess with that Pro 1000 and goes double for the Dillon. I'm done with progressives, but then I don't shoot a million rounds a month. When I kept a progressive running every week, I had less problems with it. But, now days, I load maybe 500 rounds a YEAR, maybe. I didn't load that last year as I totally quit shooting for a while. No sense in shooting when you can't see, legally blind, just a waste of components. I got my cataracts fixed at the end of the year, so maybe this year I'll get back into it. But, I won't be needing a progressive. :D

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,241 Posts
I am absolutely thrilled with the service I received from Titan Reloading.

The Lee Pro1000 is about as simple as it gets with progressives as far as I have seen and with only three stations it is very easy to watch. I do use it just as it was designed including the on press priming. The 3 things I've learned that are a must with this press; 1. the press must be mounted rigid, there can be no movement if going to use the prime system. 2. Keep it clean from debris including loose gunpowder. 3. Don't jerk it around like a madman at a nickel slot machine.

I truly believe this press is much more reliable and versatile than people give it credit for. For all that think otherwise sent your junk my way and I'll put it to use. Lastly with the new model I truly also believed that Lee would upgrade it to the 4 hole turret in keeping with the new turret presses.
I think you hit the nail on the head! The tolerances are a lot tighter on 'good' ammo than most people are willing to meet. In my experience, I find it better to do all the case prep before starting to reload. This is to include, sizing, primer pocket work, cut to length, and primer installation. When I get to the press, whether progressive or turret, all I need to do is measure powder, seat the bullet, then Factory Crimp.

It has made my life so much easier, to not mess with the; sizing die, priming, and, separating the bullet seat and crimp. I have also found that having all the cases the same length really solves lots of problems in the seating, crimping and maintaining a consistent C O L.

My Pro 1000 and moving a lot of my reloading from a 4 hole turret to a three hole turret, has made me more accurate and therefore provided me with more accurate ammo.

ymmv

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the Pro1000 can even be setup with the powder throw in the 1st position, seating die #2 and the FCD in the 3rd hole. However it makes you happy!

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
With rifle ammo, I'd never entertain the thought of progressive reloading. Some wanna crank out 10,000 rounds a sitting so they can rattle 'em off on a silhouette target. Though I like plinking at gong targets and such, I'm more of a bench shooter, place the shot. I enjoy sitting down and firing 5 shot groups off the bench at 100 yards. I like making those tiny one hole groups. That takes as much attention at the reloading bench as it does at the shooting bench. I tried progressives for my handgunning which, other than with my Contender, are more of a short range rapid fire affair, less emphasis on accuracy. I got the Dillon when I was shooting IDPA and practicing a lot. But, such is not the case now days. I practice on my pistol range and plink at my gong. I don't shoot competition anymore. Heck, most pistol shooting I do is with my .22s, anyway.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NT. can't argue with you one bit. Bottleneck cases are much different than straight wall pistol. Even the shooting practice is usually much different as you describe. I will not try to conflate the two together they are completely different disciplines.

All I own and shoot are pistols so that is also all I reload for. Besides I believe the Pro1000 would struggle to safely handle much more than the 223 or maybe a 243 round.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
NT. can't argue with you one bit. Bottleneck cases are much different than straight wall pistol. Even the shooting practice is usually much different as you describe. I will not try to conflate the two together they are completely different disciplines.

All I own and shoot are pistols so that is also all I reload for. Besides I believe the Pro1000 would struggle to safely handle much more than the 223 or maybe a 243 round.
I have a friend who used to reload, doesn't anymore. He bought a Hornady progressive because he said it was the only progressive at the time that would do rifles. I've never figured out HOW you can fit trimming and chamfering cases as well as lubing/sizing cases without a carbide die into a progressive press. AND, that's just case prep. There's the whole weighing your charges thing. :lol: I'm SURE this is why most manufacturers don't make progressives for rifles.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I loaded with a single stage press for more than two years before I decided it was time for a change, and I'm glad I did it gave me a good education on how things should work and what to look for and where I learned how to tweak and make fine adjustments. There is a lot going on whenever you pull the handle down and then back up. I feel more confident having spent time with the single stage press than had I just started out with the progressive press.
As for rifle bullets I o only use as single stage press I'm looking for accuracy not quantity like Native Texan I love making one hole five round groups but I always seem to have the ever present flyer (it's the shooter) that's just my humble opinion

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Well, progressives ain't for me. All they produce is headaches. I've shelved both my Pro 1000 and my Dillon Square Deal and gone to the Lee turret. With cap jams and other such screw ups figured in, I load a lot faster on the auto index turret and fixing it when it screws up is a lot simpler. I'd rather rebuild the engine in my truck than mess with that Pro 1000 and goes double for the Dillon. I'm done with progressives, but then I don't shoot a million rounds a month. When I kept a progressive running every week, I had less problems with it. But, now days, I load maybe 500 rounds a YEAR, maybe. I didn't load that last year as I totally quit shooting for a while. No sense in shooting when you can't see, legally blind, just a waste of components. I got my cataracts fixed at the end of the year, so maybe this year I'll get back into it. But, I won't be needing a progressive. :D
If you'd like to unload those bad boys, I may be your huckleberry. I've been thinking about adding .380 and 357 sig and 357mag, but will only do it if I get a dedicated press for them. ...I'm too cheap to buy new.

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
Both are broken. I could send the Dillon back to be repaired...AGAIN...but I don't feel like boxing it up and shipping it AGAIN. :D

Reactions: Bellows1

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Nt if you want to get rid of the Dillon let me know a price and I may be interested

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Both are broken. I could send the Dillon back to be repaired...AGAIN...but I don't feel like boxing it up and shipping it AGAIN. :D
Good, cheaper still. :) If you'd like to be rid of them, PM me. I have spare parts for the Lee's and time to kill... and I'm cheap.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I started on a single stage but that got too tedious, so I grabbed a Lee Pro1000 to handle pistol but still was doing rifle on the single stage, but still too tedious and onerous so I jumped to a Lee 4 hole turret, which handles rifle great. Relegated my single stage to a trimming and pulling station, as needed.

Lately, bee seriously looking at a Redding T7 press, though - space to place all needed dies in one handy location - Universal expander die, Full Length resizer, powder, seating, crimp die, may even be able to get the Lee quick trim die set up in there...but it's a bit pricey.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,241 Posts
If you'd like to unload those bad boys, I may be your huckleberry. I've been thinking about adding .380 and 357 sig and 357mag, but will only do it if I get a dedicated press for them. ...I'm too cheap to buy new.

Nt if you want to get rid of the Dillon let me know a price and I may be interested
Good, cheaper still. :) If you'd like to be rid of them, PM me. I have spare parts for the Lee's and time to kill... and I'm cheap.
Would I be out of line if I suggested the Classified Section?

Reactions: Bellows1

·
Super Moderator
35,349 Posts
If I actually decide to sell this stuff, it will go to the classifieds. :D

Reactions: william
1 - 20 of 20 Posts