Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else looked at or into any of the new Lee presses? So far I see 2 released and one new one coming. The New Value Turret press, a New Pro1000 and a yet to be released new Breech Lock Pro 4000 which looks to be much like the Pro1000 except that it's using Breech Locks instead of turrets and has four stations.

I looked into the new Pro1000 because I have one of the old models and wanted to see what has changed. First thing I looked at was the priming system which looks to be unchanged. The two things that stood out are the spent primer handling and that the shell plate carrier has been rotated counterclockwise by about 25*. This should make seeing into the case to check powder much easier. Now if I could buy just a bare press I might think about upgrading.

The New Pro 4000 press can be viewed here but as of yet there isn't a lot of information on it.
https://leeprecision.com/userfiles/ads/90900-BreechLockPro.pdf

·
Super Moderator
40,653 Posts
Did not know (or remember) that the had new presses coming out. Not sure I want to change from my current Lee Turret Press however some day I may consider bumping it up to a progressive.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Did not know (or remember) that the had new presses coming out. Not sure I want to change from my current Lee Turret Press however some day I may consider bumping it up to a progressive.
I concur.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
That value turret has a shorter maximum cartridge length. 2.313 vs 3.313 on the classic. There's a lot of rifle cartridges it won't be able to handle.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I've got the 4 hole Turret press and a Pro1000 that is tuned to function pretty much flawlessly. I'd really need more info to even think about it. I've definitely thought about a Redding turret press (six hole!) due to all the different dies I end up using for various types of rounds (universal expander, resizer, powder through, seating, factory crimp...) it would be nice to have them all locally, but the Redding is not cheap at all.

I most likely would not start reloading any regular rifle rounds on a progressive but it really all depends...

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the New Value press is still shorter than then Classic and they do state that but then the old Value press was shorter too. As for the New Pro 4000 there is nothing on Lees website even referencing it yet which I found odd as the advertisement stated to see their website. But both the new Value press and the Pro1000 are available now and Titan has them on their site.

I too do not see any upgrade in my near future as the old 3 hole turret and the Old Pro1000 are running just fine and will do anything I need done. Besides I just bought new shell plates for 380acp and 45acp to put on my Pro1000. Still the new stuff looks well improved and to anyone just starting out now I will suggest them to look this way over the older stuff.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
That's pretty much the same boat I'm, in - I have six turrets and shell plate assemblies for my Pro1000, set up with dies where I want them and 5 4 hole turrets for the turret press. If the new ones would necessitate a new turret type or shell holder plate, I'm out.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just reading the pfd. instructions last night for the new Pro1000 (it is available on their site now) and there have been some changes made to the shell plates and carriers for the new press but they state the old ones will still function on the new press. Which is why I stated if I could obtain just a bare press I might consider it. I now have 2 carriers, one with each primer size and then shell plates, 1, 2, 4, 19. Dies are 380acp, 9mm X2, 38/357, and 45acp. could add 40/10mm dies but I don't own one of those, yet.

BTW all this stuff was purchased used and I have less than $350.00 invested plus 2 Lee disk measures and a Lyman beam scale.

·
Super Moderator
37,620 Posts
That value turret has a shorter maximum cartridge length. 2.313 vs 3.313 on the classic. There's a lot of rifle cartridges it won't be able to handle.
I was never aware of that and was thinking that the only difference was the base and primer collection system. I am still good as the largest that I am loading so far is the 45-70. Guess I'll have to stop there. :cool:

Question however, doesn't the longer span between the bottoming of the shell holder and the die give you a longer stroke with the lever?

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I was never aware of that and was thinking that the only difference was the base and primer collection system. I am still good as the largest that I am loading so far is the 45-70. Guess I'll have to stop there. :cool:

Question however, doesn't the longer span between the bottoming of the shell holder and the die give you a longer stroke with the lever?
You sure...? It's Cartridge OAL not Case OAL. From what I see the .45-70 is too big.

·
Super Moderator
37,620 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
You sure...? It's Cartridge OAL not Case OAL. From what I see the .45-70 is too big.
My oldest is loading .300 Win Mag on my Classic Turret. Trick is to remove the index rod and manually rotate the turret. Granted you only have about 1/8" clearance with a loaded round with the ram all the way down.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love my basic Dillon press... 20 years of reloading and never one problem. However, I really like Lee bullet molds and sizing dies.
That's nice but what that Dillon got to do with this topic?

·
Super Moderator
37,620 Posts
My oldest is loading .300 Win Mag on my Classic Turret. Trick is to remove the index rod and manually rotate the turret. Granted you only have about 1/8" clearance with a loaded round with the ram all the way down.
I haven't used the auto-index rod for many years. It really doesn't slow me down to flip the dies.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't used the auto-index rod for many years. It really doesn't slow me down to flip the dies.
C, it's all in what you get use to isn't it? I have a hard time not wanting to weigh every charge. Another old habit from when I used to load with dippers.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
C, it's all in what you get use to isn't it? I have a hard time not wanting to weigh every charge. Another old habit from when I used to load with dippers.
When I'm working up new loads, I weigh every single charge, but once I land on a good one, I move to mass production of that load (depending on application and round, of course) and then only weigh every 5th charge from the Auto Drum - every 10th on the progressive.

I generally keep the index rod removed from my turret too, but again, if I'm loading more than 20 of a specific charge, I will index and run it.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yissnakk I do use my old 3 hole press to work up loads, it was purchased just for that reason. Though I have found if just running up a quick box then it's just as quick as the Pro1000.

When I work up loads I normally make 30 rounds which gives me 15 to run thru each gun. That gives me a pretty good picture of how each load functions in both of my 9's. I too weigh every charge for my test loads and measure length as well as I closely watch the head stamp on the cases I'm loading. Try to keep then as consistent as possible. I use a auto drum measure also for the test loads and then use my Disk measure for runs. The disk leaks much less with the very fine pistol powders.

As a matter of fact I just finished 50 rounds 9mm with the Berry's 124gr Hollow Base Flat Point using the Lee Auto Disk with the #40 cavity which is dropping 5.1gr of Ramshot Silhouette after shooting this round with 4.9gr of powder.

So as you can see I'm quite happy with what I am doing with these old used presses.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
36,928 Posts

Yep!
I batch load anyway--in other words all cases are charged, flared, then all cases are projectile seated, then all cases are crimped. I don't go from one die to another with each case.
Virtually just like a single station except that no screwing the dies in and out, just turn the turret and go ahead.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts