Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Taurus Model 80, of the 1970's, was a payday-maker for the employees of Taurus Firearms of that time period. From what little bit I know, the Model 80 of the early 70's, a fixed sight .38 Special Service Revolver, sold well. This six-shooter was similar in appearance to the S&W Model 10 or more so to the pre-war S&W Model of 1905 4th Change Military & Police Revolver. The insides, or trigger-action, was it's very own. A coilspring mainspring that was not great, but not bad either for a .38 Police Revolver. It was produced from around 1971 up to or around 1996. The 70's was it's heyday for sales though. It was in recent years that I started collecting the early models of Taurus as a lot of gun stores will sell them cheap. The younger handgun shooters tend to overlook sixguns of all types and go for the "black & square" box looking self-loaders. The few revolver fans pass over the older Taurus .38 Sixers and leave them for me, cause I won't pass them up. Dirt cheap, as a rule, and got some cosmetics features that I love. The "linear serrations" that traverse the cylinder flutes, topstrap, and front sight area. The Brazilian Walnut Service Grips (in good condition) are absolutely beautiful with that silver Taurus Logo Medallion in the top of each grip panel. That deeply checkered wood grip provides an excellent grip for average size man hands. A nickel or blue finish was offered, but for me, that Factory Blue Finish that Taurus put on the Model 80, back in the 70's, was superb! A deep, rich-looking blue that was very attractive on the 80 and this revolver undersold the competition by a wide margin. I'm loving collecting different time period Model 80's as these guns "morphed" over the production years. The Model 80 was a world-wide commodity for Taurus, a true bread and butter gun for many within that organization.

If you got a Model 80 story I wanna hear it! I think the history of this fine Taurus firearm is worthy of saving along with your own Model 80 adventure, if you had one. Hopefully, when I retire from the po-po business, I want to write about the Model 80 and use some of these stories.

Thanks in advance!

David

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a model 80. I inherited it from my father wish I new the age. Taurus says its pre1981 due to the serial
Hello,
This is my first post here.
Yours is a Model 80 indeed. Does your revolver still has the firing pin integrated to the hammer as below?
If so, your gun was made between 1978 and 1980.
Nice gun.
Greetings,
Douglas.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a Model 80 that was given to me in 2000 by a friend who had received a kidney transplant a year before I did. I didn't think he had any idea how to use a gun, but he kept emailing me about ways to "dispose of a handgun". After a number of emails and many, many suggestions (pawn shop, etc.), his answer was always "can't do that". I finally replied, 'ok, who have you killed?". He asked if I wanted it; I replied I didn't have any money for a new gun. His answer, would you trade a steak dinner for it? Well of course. When he handed me the gun, I asked him why he had it. Turns out besides kidney failure, he was manic depressive (which is well controlled via medication and a good shrink), so he said he bought it "just in case" he wanted to kill himself and needed to get rid of it. The reason for his secrecy was because his wife didn't know he had it, and he was afraid she would come unglued if she found out. It came new in the box, even though it was 12 years old, with a box of 120 hollowpoints. It had never been loaded, much less fired. I found out the front sight was off just a bit to the left, but a gunsmith fixed that for me.
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Taurus Model 80, of the 1970's, was a payday-maker for the employees of Taurus Firearms of that time period. From what little bit I know, the Model 80 of the early 70's, a fixed sight .38 Special Service Revolver, sold well. This six-shooter was similar in appearance to the S&W Model 10 or more so to the pre-war S&W Model of 1905 4th Change Military & Police Revolver. The insides, or trigger-action, was it's very own. A coilspring mainspring that was not great, but not bad either for a .38 Police Revolver. It was produced from around 1971 up to or around 1996. The 70's was it's heyday for sales though. It was in recent years that I started collecting the early models of Taurus as a lot of gun stores will sell them cheap. The younger handgun shooters tend to overlook sixguns of all types and go for the "black & square" box looking self-loaders. The few revolver fans pass over the older Taurus .38 Sixers and leave them for me, cause I won't pass them up. Dirt cheap, as a rule, and got some cosmetics features that I love. The "linear serrations" that traverse the cylinder flutes, topstrap, and front sight area. The Brazilian Walnut Service Grips (in good condition) are absolutely beautiful with that silver Taurus Logo Medallion in the top of each grip panel. That deeply checkered wood grip provides an excellent grip for average size man hands. A nickel or blue finish was offered, but for me, that Factory Blue Finish that Taurus put on the Model 80, back in the 70's, was superb! A deep, rich-looking blue that was very attractive on the 80 and this revolver undersold the competition by a wide margin. I'm loving collecting different time period Model 80's as these guns "morphed" over the production years. The Model 80 was a world-wide commodity for Taurus, a true bread and butter gun for many within that organization.

If you got a Model 80 story I wanna hear it! I think the history of this fine Taurus firearm is worthy of saving along with your own Model 80 adventure, if you had one. Hopefully, when I retire from the po-po business, I want to write about the Model 80 and use some of these stories.

Thanks in advance!

David
Product Sleeve Font Bag Revolver

·
Super Moderator
27,405 Posts
That is a nice looking pistol. Congratulations and good luck with it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a model 80. I inherited it from my father wish I new the age. Taurus says its pre1981 due to the serial View attachment 132865
Your gun was made between September, 1982 (when serial number 1663009 was made) and May, 1984, when the barrel retaining pin was abolished.

I made a rough calculation with your serial number, that indicates November, 1982 as birth date of your gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts