Taurus Firearm Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
For eleven years I worked in numerous laboratories including two that dealt with really nasty bacteria as well as viruses.

I am certified by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists as a Medical Laboratory Technician (MT) and have my degree.

One thing that we were always taught was that surgical masks were not effective against viruses. We had complete suits for viruses that included a hood, and a respirator that looked like a fancy gas mask.

Package inserts for surgical masks actually state that they are not to be used in viral infected environments.

Cloth masks are definitely not effective against a virus as they have holes far larger than even the surgical masks.

But, go ahead and wear one if it makes you feel better.

Just don't demand I do the same.

For most of my life I've periodically had to attend business dinners that I'd rather skip. Instead of participating in the conversation I've mostly spent time observing other people as they carried on conversations back and forth across the table. Some of those people had spittle flying out of their mouths like it was shot from a water cannon. Absolutely disgusting. All over the table and anyone who they happened to turn towards.

This is the kind of stuff a mask catches----when worn by the spitter.

With due regard for your training, you're comparing apples and oranges. You're talking about pathogens in a lab environment and the professional quality equipment necessary to completely stop them. You're talking about stopping 100% of everything right down to minuscule virus particles.

No one is claiming a cheap cloth mask does this. But they can stop some stuff. How many virus particles does it take to create a sustainable infection? For which age group? With which comorbidities? If a mask can intercept droplets of liquid that contain particles before they get sprayed on another person, is that not a step in the right direction?

Of course the packages contain disclaimers. So do plastic bags with warnings telling people not to put them over their heads. Lawyers. And still some people try to eat Tide Pods.

I wish the spitters at those tables had been wearing masks.

People shouldn't need to be ordered to wear a mask. A suggestion, combined with their own common sense, should be sufficient.

Someone commented: ".....and people choosing not to wear masks is just their way of showing their disdain." Apparently carrying their cojones around in a wheelbarrow is more important to them than adopting minor social practices aimed at promoting the common good. SMH.

Now there's a "novel" concept.

·
Super Moderator
35,514 Posts
I can predict a stock market crash. It could be tomorrow, next week or two years from now. You know what? I'll be right.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I can predict a stock market crash. It could be tomorrow, next week or two years from now. You know what? I'll be right.
Much like Trump will eventually be right in regards to this virus. He even said so himself. Reminds me of the old combat medic adage, eventually every wound stops bleeding.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
18,474 Posts
Well, look at the bright side...:dunno:...only 102 more days of covid left.

Reactions: chefduane

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
We're homeschooling our youngest kids because of this bullcrap. Good times, good times.
You're not the only one. Many Americans have yanked their kids out of the indoctrination camps........errrr......public schools.

Reactions: chefduane

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
For most of my life I've periodically had to attend business dinners that I'd rather skip. Instead of participating in the conversation I've mostly spent time observing other people as they carried on conversations back and forth across the table. Some of those people had spittle flying out of their mouths like it was shot from a water cannon. Absolutely disgusting. All over the table and anyone who they happened to turn towards.

With due regard for your training, you're comparing apples and oranges. You're talking about pathogens in a lab environment and the professional quality equipment necessary to completely stop them. You're talking about stopping 100% of everything right down to minuscule virus particles.

No one is claiming a cheap cloth mask does this. But they can stop some stuff. How many virus particles does it take to create a sustainable infection? For which age group? With which comorbidities? If a mask can intercept droplets of liquid that contain particles before they get sprayed on another person, is that not a step in the right direction?

Of course the packages contain disclaimers. So do plastic bags with warnings telling people not to put them over their heads. Lawyers. And still some people try to eat Tide Pods.

People shouldn't need to be ordered to wear a mask. A suggestion, combined with their own common sense, should be sufficient.

Someone commented: ".....and people choosing not to wear masks is just their way of showing their disdain." Apparently carrying their cojones around in a wheelbarrow is more important to them than adopting minor social practices aimed at promoting the common good. SMH.

I'm that "someone" who made the comment. While I agree with the masks for the prevention or at least reduction of transmission, even N95's and N99's cannot stop it completely. N-100's can't stop it completely. However, The people have been lied to constantly since day 1 of this. They're done taking advice from experts who change their positions as often as they change their socks. They're done with listening to politicians who know only how to lie to constituents.
Why is it that people can't get together in a bar to enjoy drinks with friends but somehow Riots, looting and protests of large groups of people in very close proximity to each other aren't as strongly condemned? If you're going to spread lines of BS to people, at least be consistent.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
No questions, you have proven true what I thought about you and your comments. Just one more observation-shouldn't your big ole hat in your avatar be silver color, as in Tin Foil?
Oooohhh. Ouch! Got me that one! Oh, I feel so shamed!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Wake up.....

I listened to the whole thing and I didn't hear anything that I disagreed with. He only said there would be a surprise infection, which is a prediction anyone could make. New diseases happen on a regular basis, no big prediction there. He did NOT say how bad it would be.

He's also not the first person to make these claims. Bush jr. gave a speech in his second term where he allegedly predicted a pandemic would eventually happen, and Dr. Fauci was allegedly in the audience.

·
Registered
14,677 Posts

I have no issue with people that wish to wear a mask for the reasons you state.

I have issue with the mandate that they be worn all the time and in all situations in doors and out.

Basically we should stay away from people that are hacking and coughing. And, if you are hacking and coughing you need to either stay home or go to the doctor.

As far as "spittle" from those that are asymptomatic, that is what the 6 foot rule is for.

I actually suggest distancing further than a mere 6 feet because no one knows if this virus is dry shedding in those that are not producing mucus. And, if it is dry shedding, those individual viruses will still sail right through the wearers mask and yours. Oh, and individual viruses can hang in the air for some time. Not all virus is contained in droplets.

Basically, people are wearing a mask thinking it is doing something and while a mask may get lucky on the rare occasion, it's effectiveness would be small. The false sense of security people are getting by wearing their mask is making them think it is OK to go in to crowds and get closer to others than they should be. This leads to more spread.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
It's gonna get somebody killed.

covid mask.jpg

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
Kentucky has mandated them. I am only wearing one to enter a business then it goes down where I can breathe.

Masks do NOTHING to stop a virus as they are too small. Think, gnat going through a chainlink fence.

Package inserts on standard surgical masks worn in hospitals will tell you that they are not intended to be used to prevent viral transmission.

And, cloth masks have even larger holes than the surgical ones.

But, wear one if it makes you feel better.

Oh, and you better also wear goggles that completely cover your eyes as viruses love to enter through your eyes.

If those mandating masks were really worried about the virus, you would think they would also address this issue right?

Bottom line is this, you only avoid getting a virus by not being around infectious people. So, choose your company wisely.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Once upon a time in this country, we quarantined and masked THE SICK, not the whole world. Think about it-the left has tried to take our jobs and implement universal basic income for years. Has this not done so? Back to the mask-if you think wearing a sweaty, spitty, snotty mask all day is healthy, have at it. I have to wear one at work, so I carry 4 and rotate every few hours. I have COPD and have to hide in the back every few minutes and breathe so I don't pass out. This is another case of an untested idea being implemented through the threat of force. It may well make many of us sick.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Kentucky has mandated them. I am only wearing one to enter a business then it goes down where I can breathe.

Masks do NOTHING to stop a virus as they are too small. Think, gnat going through a chainlink fence.

Package inserts on standard surgical masks worn in hospitals will tell you that they are not intended to be used to prevent viral transmission.

And, cloth masks have even larger holes than the surgical ones.

But, wear one if it makes you feel better.

Oh, and you better also wear goggles that completely cover your eyes as viruses love to enter through your eyes.

If those mandating masks were really worried about the virus, you would think they would also address this issue right?

Bottom line is this, you only avoid getting a virus by not being around infectious people. So, choose your company wisely.
The Ky mask order is why when I went into a gas station/store/restaurant near I-75 to pay my fuel bill I put a mask on. I was the odd man out, so to speak, no one else was wearing a mask over my mouth, not even the employees. (although they had a plastic shield at the counter) There was only 9 people in there at the time though so you could easily social distance 6 ft or more, and most people were doing that.

I thought about calling the local health dept. and reporting them but being an out of towner I didn't know their number. (sarcasm) Of course a good Karen wouldn't have cared about all that and just called 911. (sarcasm)

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Now Fauci wants us to where goggles as well as the masks. "If you have goggles or an eye shield, you should use it," Fauci told ABC News on Wednesday.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Now Fauci wants us to where goggles as well as the masks. "If you have goggles or an eye shield, you should use it," Fauci told ABC News on Wednesday.
I quite listening to the great prophet (Fauci) a long time ago. If that guy was my family doctor I'd tell his secretary I want a copy of all my records and to destroy their copies, I wont be back. He is too myopic in my opinion and he's kind of like Chicken Little, he sees the sky falling all the time. I don't trust his judgement because he can't see the big picture.

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
Being an OSHA safety man for 20 years, I have been saying the mask makes no difference as your eyes are mucas membranes and you can be infected this way.

Now look what Dr weasel is saying now. So this whole time it's been just wear a mask and it's crap science. They knew this, every doctor knew this.

Before long we are going to be in Hazmat suits! It's been a con the whole time.

I am going to keep wearing a mask so some lunatic does not stick me with a knife or other hassle.

But the truth is what it is!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Heck, if this keeps up I might as well wear an army issue protective mask, and maybe a MOPP suit also. :(

The CDC recently said social distancing had a higher percentage of effectiveness by itself than a face covering by itself so I guess I'll continue to social distance, unless I'm providing emergency medical care to someone.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
It won't be long before they suggest that you stop breathing.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts