Taurus Firearm Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Completely absurd analogy. Even being exposed that 1 person in 500 that has the Chinese Virus and then actually contracting it is infinitesimally small. And even if one contracts it, the chances of recovery are quite good. In your hypothetical, getting the right chamber in the right revolver is immediately and irreversibly fatal.
I'm in my late 60s and my wife has several co-morbidities. This isn't hypothetical for us. If either of us brings covid-19 home,we both have an extremely high chance of dying or being permanently disabled.

If you are not in a high-risk category and if you have no contact with anyone in a high risk category (that you care about), then you can talk about the risk in hypothetical terms.

We can't. If we catch this disease, everything known about this disease indicates one or both of us is going to die.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
I'm in my late 60s and my wife has several co-morbidities. This isn't hypothetical for us. If either of us brings covid-19 home,we both have an extremely high chance of dying or being permanently disabled.

If you are not in a high-risk category and if you have no contact with anyone in a high risk category (that you care about), then you can talk about the risk in hypothetical terms.

We can't. If we catch this disease, everything known about this disease indicates one or both of us is going to die.
OK. Then I'd say lock yourself down, wear a triple layered mask, and never go outside again. Have a nice life.

And its still an absurd analogy.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It is what it is. If your in the risk group (and I am) to bad for you. You're the one with the problem. Don't make your problem the responsible of others. If you're not in the risk group get on with your life. That life you get on with includes being compassionate to your fellow man and doing what you can for your country in times of need. I remember when we had Americans that knew this and lived by it. They were the greatest generation. I'm glad I knew them and try to honor them by acting right. They also didn't suffer fools or criminals. We seem not only to put up with both but say they matter. Maybe its because the greatest generation survived the Spanish flu, world wars, hunger, great depression.... What a bunch of intolerant, entitled, brats today. Truly the greatest ungrateful generation.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Masks. N95 filters air coming in assuming it fits your face. The valve expels your breath- unfiltered. Surgical masks are for preventing germs going from medical staff to patient. Or from pstient to staff in an office or ER situation. Again if they don’t seal against the face, they are useless. Surgical masks ABSORB moisture from your breath. Moisture attracts germs. Cloth masks? They meet the requirements of a cloth face covering to keep the paranoid and self appointed Mask Police away from you. If you need to wear a mask-WEAR it. If you wear it to protect yourself- You are covered. Leave me alone. If you wear it to protect me- I am covered. Why are YOU in public? Leave me alone. YOU are not the Mask Police. If you see someone without a mask- they have a reason. It probably doesn’t meet YOUR standards -( how could it- you wear a mask- ). Leave them alone. Stay 6 feet away. OBTW if they are a threat why did you let them get that close? As one poster commented/ courtesy- why he bathes. Good for you. Stay 6 feet away. If his mask is one of the useless ones- I would smile and stay away from him. Shouting at someone over a mask doesn’t accomplish anything except a youtoob video. Need it? Wear it. Shut up

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
It is what it is. If your in the risk group (and I am) to bad for you. You're the one with the problem. Don't make your problem the responsible of others. If you're not in the risk group get on with your life. That life you get on with includes being compassionate to your fellow man and doing what you can for your country in times of need. I remember when we had Americans that knew this and lived by it. They were the greatest generation. I'm glad I knew them and try to honor them by acting right. They also didn't suffer fools or criminals. We seem not only to put up with both but say they matter. Maybe its because the greatest generation survived the Spanish flu, world wars, hunger, great depression.... What a bunch of intolerant, entitled, brats today. Truly the greatest ungrateful generation.
I was responding to a post asserting that masks were useless. My response is that masks lower the real-world risk to an acceptable level even for people who are otherwise in a high-risk category.

You need to keep up.

Reactions: Nick1946

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
I don't really buy the mask bit having been an OSHA safety man for 20 years and know the mask that they have out there don't work. Having said that because my wife has COPD and diabetes and my 83 year old dad has heart disease who lives with us. I will wear a mask and use what does work hand sanitizer. I don't want to take a chance as small as it is. To be truthful I have not seen a single sick person other than my grandson and daughter with Strep throat. I do not know of any person with COVID or anyone that knows of one.

I have several that I choose from the Flag one insures social distancing as people turn and get out of the way. May being Patriotic is a trigger. ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Most respectfully... All of you... Please... Do your homework.
Your mind is like a parachute, It only works when it's open.

With that said, why have we all become sheep? How many of you Folks have actually taken the time to question the validity of the face mask in the prevention of a viral disease? Simply going onto the 3M website will provide you with all the info you will need to understand that FACE MASKS ARE NOT DESIGNED, INTENDED, or UTILIZED for the prevention of Viral diseases. We won't even discuss the ridiculousness and complete and total lack of effectiveness of a "Neck Sock" or "Bandana".

Healthcare professionals operating in the Viral infection arena will always utilize SPECIALIZED PAPRs as the only effective viral isolation mechanism because of the filtration levels used. Airborne particulate matter is the design criteria behind the face mask including the coveted "M95". However, particulate matter size and concentration are the elements of concern. Here is information directly from the 3M Data/Description PDF of which I provided you all:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Particulate-Respirator-8511-N95-80-EA-Case/?N=5002385+8707795+8720539+3294780243&preselect=8720542+8733256&rt=rud

Here is an excerpt from the Description PDF: "This respirator can also help reduce inhalation exposures to certain airborne biological particles (examples: mold, Bacillus anthracis, Mycobacterium tuberculosis), but cannot eliminate the risk of contracting infection, illness, or disease."

Folks, I am mentioning this not in the spirit of disagreement, but in the spirit of clarity. There are multiple objectives in the mandating of face masks.
However, Viral micron particle isolation is not one of them.

Ask yourself, In all honesty... How many people do I PERSONALLY know that have died from this virus. Then compare that to the numbers you are being led to believe.
Remember, our own Surgeon General stated we could see upwards of 2 million deaths in this country. In actuality, we ain't even close.

Start the video below at 0:30 and watch it to 2:00, you could disregard the rest.

Keep in mind, That's who is providing you guidance.

Good Luck.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Let's take a little impromptu poll...

How many of y'all have changed your mind about masking based on anything you've read here?

Me neither.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Amazing how much ego gets wrapped up in that little piece of fabric in front of some people's faces. "Can't make me!" "I refuse!" Blah. Blah. Blah. Me. Me. Me. Also amazing how many expect someone in authority to tell them with 100% certainty that masks either work or don't work. Don't they have brains of their own?

Stand in front of a mirror without a mask. Spit at it. Spit hard. A nice big loogie. Check out the mirror. See anything dripping down?

Now repeat the test with a mask. Notice a difference? That's what a mask does. N95 or not. Did the mask stop 100% of actual virus particles. Of course not. Did it make a difference? The proof is on the mirror.

It's not about me, me, me. It's about showing consideration for other people. And they in turn showing consideration for you. When did showing consideration for others become such an intolerable burden?

This squabbling over masks is a disgrace to the Greatest Generation. Evidently we've become a nation of self-centered and selfish brats.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Amazing how much ego gets wrapped up in that little piece of fabric in front of some people's faces. "Can't make me!" "I refuse!" Blah. Blah. Blah. Me. Me. Me. Also amazing how many expect someone in authority to tell them with 100% certainty that masks either work or don't work. Don't they have brains of their own?

Stand in front of a mirror without a mask. Spit at it. Spit hard. A nice big loogie. Check out the mirror. See anything dripping down?

Now repeat the test with a mask. Notice a difference? That's what a mask does. N95 or not. Did the mask stop 100% of actual virus particles. Of course not. Did it make a difference? The proof is on the mirror.

It's not about me, me, me. It's about showing consideration for other people. And they in turn showing consideration for you. When did showing consideration for others become such an intolerable burden?

This squabbling over masks is a disgrace to the Greatest Generation. Evidently we've become a nation of self-centered and selfish brats.
I agree this is all about selfishness.

Masks are a political statement for me.

I am not in a preexisting condition group, but I have loved ones who are. I avoid them. I wont be forced to wear a mask though. It sucks breathing through them, it sucks wearing one in the summer in Texas.

Why should I have to do something that sucks so that other people can be happy? Isn't it their responsibility to take care of themselves? If they are in a group which is more vulnerable then they can stay at home, order all their groceries to be delivered. Watch alot of Netflix. Video chat with friends and family etc.

It is the height of selfishness to force others to wear a mask because some people want others to shoulder the burden for their personal situation. Just my 2¢.

Reactions: chefduane

·
Registered
14,589 Posts

That's not the issue at all. Since late January, we've had "Covid-19", "Novel Coronavirus", "da Rona" shoved down our throats by the media 24/7. We're also finding out that much like the mortality rate, only a fraction of the info being shovelled is true. In short, the lie percentage damned near tracks the recovery percentage.
How many trillions of dollars will this intentionally fanned panic cost our nation? Take a look at a dollar bill. set it on the ground and place other dollar bills around it so they're all touching. For the cost of Covid-19, you would cover a landmass larger than any 1 of 9 of the smallest states.

The american people realize or are at least beginning to realize they were sold a bill of goods and they are NOT happy about it in the slightest. Add to that the current inactions of democrat mayors and governors with the riots and we're sitting on a powder keg ready to be lit off. As we draw closer to November, it's going to get seriously ugly out there. and people choosing not to wear masks is just their way of showing their disdain.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
That's not the issue at all. Since late January, we've had "Covid-19", "Novel Coronavirus", "da Rona" shoved down our throats by the media 24/7. We're also finding out that much like the mortality rate, only a fraction of the info being shovelled is true. In short, the lie percentage damned near tracks the recovery percentage.
How many trillions of dollars will this intentionally fanned panic cost our nation? Take a look at a dollar bill. set it on the ground and place other dollar bills around it so they're all touching. For the cost of Covid-19, you would cover a landmass larger than any 1 of 9 of the smallest states.

The american people realize or are at least beginning to realize they were sold a bill of goods and they are NOT happy about it in the slightest. Add to that the current inactions of democrat mayors and governors with the riots and we're sitting on a powder keg ready to be lit off. As we draw closer to November, it's going to get seriously ugly out there. and people choosing not to wear masks is just their way of showing their disdain.
For you people with more than just a few brain cells to rub together, please read that last line. Now read it again. Yeah... That's where we are, that's how scary this is. Screw you, screw your family, screw your friends, meet my disdain, seems to be the theme here with far far too many, and that's exactly why out of all the countries in the world right now we are the poster child for the utterly stupid, the utterly careless, and the utterly selfish. Currently 146,378 deaths with the next highest being Brazil with 82,925, the only other country with a President that also downplayed it as just another flu. Coincidence? Well, how many brain cells can you manage to rub together?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
member on another forum snapped a pic of the masks they are required to wear at work.

Of course......there was none of this crap when H1N1 hit in 2009. 60M Americans infected(I was one of them), slightly over 12K died. Oh, and Dr Fauchi was in charge of that one as well.

The MSM is manipulating the numbers as well. They are using the weekly/monthly numbers, and claiming that those are one day jumps. Twitter is banning anypone who questions "the narrative" as well.

We deal with a coronavirus every year that has no cure. It's called the common cold, and people have died from it. The media and a certain party are doing nothing more but not letting a crisis go to waste. Unfortunately, too many simply dance to the tune they are playing. If Biden wins, watch all this magically disappear.

Attachments

Reactions: A45ACP

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
The mask has become the ultimate virtue signal for those on the left. The masks really do nothing at all and everyone knows it "but I CARE about YOU so I'M wearing one!! See how wonderful and selfless I am that I care for you so much that I wear this mask??" <weepy tone crescendo..> Wear a mask if you have to or want to if it makes you feel good or virtuous and I will wear the mask where I am required by law or my employer to do so. But by God I will not be shamed by the looney left or anyone else into wearing a costume just because YOU think I should. And stay the hell away from me and I will stay the hell away from you.
Any other questions? Sheesh!!!

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
The mask has become the ultimate virtue signal for those on the left. The masks really do nothing at all and everyone knows it "but I CARE about YOU so I'M wearing one!! See how wonderful and selfless I am that I care for you so much that I wear this mask??" <weepy tone crescendo..> Wear a mask if you have to or want to if it makes you feel good or virtuous and I will wear the mask where I am required by law or my employer to do so. But by God I will not be shamed by the looney left or anyone else into wearing a costume just because YOU think I should. And stay the hell away from me and I will stay the hell away from you.
Virtue signal for the left? Oh that's rich.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

https://www.foxnews.com/health/wearing-mask-cuts-own-risk-novel-coronavirus-65-percent-experts-say

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-trump/trump-shifts-rhetoric-as-he-urges-mask-wearing-warns-of-worsening-pandemic-idUSKCN24M2X3

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/06/stanford-scientists-contribute-to-who-mask-guidelines.html

https://globalnews.ca/news/7075024/mask-wearing-fewer-coronavirus-deaths/?fbclid=IwAR2DqOGxYXSai2hH2Xa7CTkQZyUFu3H7PlOqZrCTVqR0jAIU0S45J9wSKOE

Reactions: oso and Nick1946

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Virtue signal for the left? Oh that's rich.
Yup. And no bottom of the bucket quotes you can scrounge up and pass off as some wannabe intellectual research project will make it otherwise. Heck, your post is even virtue signaling.

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
For eleven years I worked in numerous laboratories including two that dealt with really nasty bacteria as well as viruses.

I am certified by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists as a Medical Laboratory Technician (MT) and have my degree.

One thing that we were always taught was that surgical masks were not effective against viruses. We had complete suits for viruses that included a hood, and a respirator that looked like a fancy gas mask.

Package inserts for surgical masks actually state that they are not to be used in viral infected environments.

Cloth masks are definitely not effective against a virus as they have holes far larger than even the surgical masks.

But, go ahead and wear one if it makes you feel better.

Just don't demand I do the same.

Reactions: chefduane

·
Super Moderator
35,514 Posts
With a virus that transmits asymptomatically you have no way of knowing who will have it and transmit it to you. It is possible to observe people wheezing, coughing and blowing their noses and distance from them if at all possible, like if you aren't on a plane, train, bus or subway. Plus people who have symptoms may be more likely to stay home. I think we've all seen the videos of people who sneeze and the droplets spreading out 10 feet and more. Those respiratory droplets are in our every exhalation, even now as you read this post. A mask or any other barrier if kept clean minimizes those droplets from spreading. It won't stop them all and won't keep the wearer from inhaling viral droplets from others which is why I prefer to have people I'm in close contact with wearing a mask.

There have been many thoughts and suppositions about this because it is, in it's definition, a NOVEL coronavirus. New, unknown, untried and even untested. The fact that some of the theories have been proven false give rise to a misguided belief that ALL theories about it are false. This is a dangerous thought pattern.

Dangerous? It is still proven that if a person is aged between 60 and 70 and they contract the virus, without without co-morbidities (we are a largely overweight society) that person has a 20% chance of dying. 70-80 that chance increases to 25%...one in four. Yes treatments have gotten better and we are discovering it earlier which helps the chance of surviving. Many still have remaining symptoms and disability for months afterward...we really don't know if that lasts forever and may kill them later.

But the bottom line is that the worst effect of the pandemic, after our loved ones are buried, has been to our economy and society. Our production output has been dealt a crippling blow and our society which was polarized before has been fractured...perhaps irreparably. The viral pandemic was certainly a planned and implemented program by the Communist Chinese to achieve just this end and we are letting them succeed. Congratulations America. Your forebears' would be so proud. Their first goal of damaging the president that they hate is close to being realized. China's power will be greatly increased with the impending change in government.

The way to beat them is to stop the virus. The way to stop the virus is to protect others from getting it. The Greatest Generation had to suffer deprivation through rationing and recycling, those who donned the uniform had to die on the beaches, jungles, desolate seas and being blown up in the skies.

We have to wear a mask...and we can't seem to do that. Shame on us.

Japan has beat the virus. South Korea and Taiwan have done so also. Their only risk now is from we the people who don't seem to understand facts and minor inconvenience.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/14/if-everyone-wore-mask-covid19-could-be-controlled-cdc-director-urges/

·
Registered
27 Posts
No questions, you have proven true what I thought about you and your comments. Just one more observation-shouldn't your big ole hat in your avatar be silver color, as in Tin Foil?

·
Super Moderator
35,514 Posts
If this goes personal, it will be shut down. Keep it to the facts if possible and your personal opinion only. Everyone has the right to theirs and the ability to express it here.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts