Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I decided it was time to move into a MODERN 22LR. I still have my old JC Higgins 42 (Marlin 80) and my Savage Springfield 187 Click/Clack so it was not a crisis. I also still had plenty of ammo so even that was okay. So went to local LGS and told them to order me a Marlin 60.

That was over four (maybe even more now) months ago. They said initially the 60s were on back order and it would likely be a week or two before they got it in. But I'm not in a big hurry so I said that would be fine.

Then stuff happened.

I have only been to a range about three or maybe four times since then.

How ever there was this Ruger 10/22 Takedown that had been a display gun that followed me home and then there was this little Rossi RB22 bolt action mag fed that came to visit but then stayed. Neither is as accurate as either of my more experienced 22s but they are lighter and shorter and cuter. Of the two the Rossi really appeals to me more than the Ruger. It's really light and just fits and simply works; very much old school with new sneakers experience. And at just slightly over $100.00 tag, tax and title out de door, 'cross de curb, seems almost reasonable in price. I was surprised how well the two color (green rear red front) hooded sight worked. Even for my old eyes it was easy acquisition. The magazine release is kind funky but similar to the JC Higgins so I can get to like it.

I called Marlin just to make sure it had not been discontinued (tube fed seems like an endangered species) and they assured my it's still in production but they are facing a 400% increase in demand and a 25% reduction in available personnel. It's the classic ("we're filling backorders as fast as we can" but the best selling first) response.

So the Model 60 is still on backorder and may show up some day but in the mean time the little Rossi gets to play.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Don't those oldies cry out to us?!! A local pawn shop has a Western Auto Revelation 150 (Marlin) 22lr that has caught my eye. They're asking 200 Somalians for it. But don't know if I'd have to install a hot line to Numrich after I get it. Last month I picked up a Remington Nylon 66 from a LGS. Broke it down partways for cleaning using the appropriate YT video. The bolt and surrounding area was "lightly gunky", not all that bad.
The gun manufacturers are really slammed as you point out. Thanks for those stats.

Reactions: hombre243

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Don't those oldies cry out to us?!! A local pawn shop has a Western Auto Revelation 150 (Marlin) 22lr that has caught my eye. They're asking 200 Somalians for it. But don't know if I'd have to install a hot line to Numrich after I get it. Last month I picked up a Remington Nylon 66 from a LGS. Broke it down partways for cleaning using the appropriate YT video. The bolt and surrounding area was "lightly gunky", not all that bad.
The gun manufacturers are really slammed as you point out. Thanks for those stats.
I'd use schemoleans. You leave those Somalians alone. They are a protected species.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I used to sell the Marlin 60 back in the "80's". I remember those tube fed ones. A few months back, I was able to snag a Marlin 25 bolt action used for about $60.00 USD. Still looks brand new. All the Marlin's are known to be tack drivers, I hope you get it soon.. it's definitely worth the wait.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to sell the Marlin 60 back in the "80's". I remember those tube fed ones. A few months back, I was able to snag a Marlin 25 bolt action used for about $60.00 USD. Still looks brand new. All the Marlin's are known to be tack drivers, I hope you get it soon.. it's definitely worth the wait.
It's not a major issue since I do have the Savage Click/Clack and another old tube fed JC Higgins (a model 28 that was made by High Standard and only for about 6 months in 1951) as well as some new yet unexperienced 22lrs that cover my needs and hopefully will grow up to be as accurate as the more experienced ones.

·
Administrator
17,596 Posts
I used to sell the Marlin 60 back in the "80's". I remember those tube fed ones. A few months back, I was able to snag a Marlin 25 bolt action used for about $60.00 USD. Still looks brand new.
I've owned and run a Marlin 25 for many years and it's one of my favorite .22 caliber Rifles, next to my Ruger 10/22. I've killed a lot of small Game with it, up to the size of Racoons.

Marlin Model 25 .22 LR

I also have a Marlin Model 782 in .22 Magnum for larger or more distant Varmints. I did have it's action Glass Bedded to enhance it's accuracy.
I find it useful for when a .223 will be a bit much.

Marlin Model 782 .22 Magnum

I'm sadly disappointed to read of Marlins hard times and problems, as I really liked a lot of the Rifles they made.

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
Not into Marlin. I have a stainless 10/22, however, and feed it's favorite ammo, it'll make one hole 10 shot groups all day long at 25 yards. No aftermarket barrel or such. I just feed it what it likes. It has an aftermarket stock, Hogue, that eliminates that dastardly barrel band that everyone says causes poor accuracy. Ammo is very diverse, some works in one gun, others work in other guns. You have to shoot it and find out what it likes. Shoot it from sandbags to actually quantify the results.

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I'm getting real close to scratching that Marlin 60 itch. I just haven't found that one that checks all the boxes.

Reactions: HappyTom and Lomax

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I had a Model 60 about ten years ago, and it seemed to function just fine, but cleaning all the "fiddly bits" was kinda tough.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I bought a stainless m60 for my wife's birthday twenty years ago. Nice little 100 yard golf ball gun. The rifle has been accurate, reliable and an exceptional value over the years, but it's not without a flaw or two.

Running dry on Bubba projects, the m60 was given a hard look at room for improvements. Earlier Marlins utilized metal guards which worked quite well. Then the Marlin bean counters introduced a plastic trigger guard that is likely to crack and can render the rifle in operative. Two small screws attach the stock to the MIM receiver & barrel. Heavy handed screw driver operators need not apply.

The stock plastic trigger group will be replaced with an aluminium target trigger setup from D.I.P.

Attachments

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a 50th Anniversary edition model 60 which has become my “go to” .22 rifle. I replaced the trigger and trigger guard with the DIP units and added a MCarbo spring kit. It’s a great rifle sold for an affordable price that most anyone can afford. That might explain why they have sold so many over the years.

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
I like the D.I.P. aftermarket trigger group a lot. Better fit, easy adjustments and its smooth trigger pull average dropped to 2lbs. 6oz from 3lbs. 8oz.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
I carried a scoped Marlin 1894 in 44MAG for close to 40 years as my deer rifle and it never disappointed. Handed it down o my oldest son 5-6 years ago and bought a Savage in 30-06 to replace it. I'm now getting the Marlin itch again -especially now that the "Dark Series" has been released. Haven't made up my mind yet but thinking another pistol caliber, or 30/30 or 45-70.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Thanks for the tip on D.I.P. for Marlin M-60 parts.

I've a circa 1975 Marlin M-60 that one of my sons (ages 10-14 at the time) decided to practice gunsmithing on. Needless to say they all denied being the culprit. Only problem was missing parts.''

Now I can get it out of the back of the gun safe and have a one stop shopping place to get everything that's missing.

·
Super Moderator
35,573 Posts
I carried a scoped Marlin 1894 in 44MAG for close to 40 years as my deer rifle and it never disappointed. Handed it down o my oldest son 5-6 years ago and bought a Savage in 30-06 to replace it. I'm now getting the Marlin itch again -especially now that the "Dark Series" has been released. Haven't made up my mind yet but thinking another pistol caliber, or 30/30 or 45-70.
I'm getting that 45-70 itch especially since I bought the dies, boolets and brass to load the Trapdoor. A friend of mine has the Guide Gun in SS and has said that if he goes before I do he has it earmarked for me. He's in pretty good health, better than mine, and I don't think I can wait that long. :cool:

I have the Winchester '94 in 32 Winchester Special, but there's just something about that iconic caliber. Are four lever guns too many? :D

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still no 60 but I've been pulling out the old 22s and doing some comprehensive cleaning and cuddling them and taking them one at a time to my local range for function tests. Had an issue with the JC Higgins 42 (Marlin 80) failing to eject but adjusted the ejector and it throws cases into the next county now. Cut my thumb on the old stamped sheet metal safety on the Savage Springfield but the innards were actually in better shape than expected. Some built up crud but cleaned up with some CLP and an old tooth brush. The JC Higgins 28 (High Standard) has been a very pleasant surprise and except for there not being a way to lock the bolt open it's been every bit as nice as I remembered.

JC Higgins 42:

Savage Springfield 187M:

JC Higgins 28:

Got one more that needs it's Spa Day, my NewHaven (Mossberg) 251C. It is the carbine style which back in the 50s & 60s meant a short 18½" barrel instead of the normal 20" to 24". Like the Savage and the JC Higgins 28 it's tube fed but with the tube through the stock instead of below the barrel. Pictures once it's had it's Spa Day.

Surprisingly when it comes to my newer 22s I find the Rossi RB22 bolt action far more accurate and enjoyable than the Ruger 10/22. In fact of them all I'd have to place the 10/22 as the cutest but least enjoyable of them all.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After Spa Day. Here's the New Haven (Mossberg) 251c. I found less crud than expected and the innerds were really surprisingly clean. It's all back together now and I've tested feeding and ejecting with snap caps so next step it to do a full function test. Loaded up a herd of 15 round quick feed tubes remembering to put the cartridges in backwards so they will feed bullet first. I put black caps on the 15 rounders that are bullet first and red caps on the rim feed first ones.

Also decided to mount one of my old scopes on the 10/22 to see if that helped. When I went to put the rail on though there were no screws in the packet. I dropped an email to Ruger to see if I could buy a set but never heard back. Then I got a notice there was a package coming from "Casandra" and it arrived in yesterday's mail. Inside was an envelope with four screws and an invoice from Ruger for $0.00.

Casandra, if you are reading this, "Thanks!"

I was really surprised how far back I had to mount the scope to get the same eye relief as on the oldies. Most likely simply the difference in stock length and design. I'll see when I get it to the range if it's more enjoyable than it was.

Reactions: Lomax

·
Registered
13 Posts
Really can't gi wrong with a Marlin. All of my 22' are Marlins. 2 old Glenfield 60's,2 81's and a lone 781. I need a bigger safe!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts