Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fed up! :mad:

I work as a Realtor....I wear dress clothes...I am really tired of the LUMP that my IWB holster gives me. I have gone to a size bigger pants but, come on, you and I both know that with a tucked in shirt there is a LUMP that is definetely noticable if someone were looking for it.

I carry a PT111 9mm and I need to find a better system. I currently use a IWB but I also have a Blackhawk pocket holster for it...it is possible and I do carry that way sometimes.

Thinking of the Smartcarry, clipdraw, a belt pouch (I have one but it is like a fanny to me - screams gun).

I think my biggest problem is that I am tired of spending money on holsters to find out that they are not what I am looking for. I have often joked that I should start a store for recycling holsters.

Give me some advice. No...I cannot wear an untucked shirt at the office and here in NC it gets REALLY hot....so a cover jacket is out.

HELP!!!!!!

·
Administrator
35,567 Posts
Check out this link......be sure to watch the video at the top-left after everything loads:

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

Here are a couple of pics - one of the holster, another of me wearing it. I've got my shirt untucked, but in the video on the webpage he tucks his shirt in, and it's invisible. Good luck......

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Man that's genius! You should do that! recycledholsters.com has a nice ring to it. You would make a fortune, and I would shop it. I am a sales rep and constantly face the same issue. One set of pants is a pocket holster, and another is an IWB carry situation. SUCKS!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is that everyone would want top dollar for the holsters they didn't like, therefore making money would be next to impossible.....the ONLY way it would work is for the people to understand that they need to clear out the unused holsters and that it would be a place to do it....maybe a consignment type thing....

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
yeah thats true! maybe it could be set up as a flat price with your commission built in. Truthfully a lot of people just trow them in a drawer with intension's of putting them on ebay and the like only to look up one day and find the drawer is full. They would atleast get something out of it, plus they are helping to save a fellow gunner a little as well. How bout this for flat pricing.
nylon 5 bucks
kydex 7 bucks
leather 10 bucks

·
Super Moderator
21,719 Posts
My Gunshop has a whole wall of shelves with used holsters I had a Fobus in mint condition thrown in when I bought my PT1911. I've got about 3 per gun and that's not the ones I really want. That crossbreed looks pretty comfortable and priced right.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have been looking at the cross breed and have considered one myself. looks like a quality piece of gear.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Man I wish my shop did that! To me holsters are just too expensive to take a chance on new without some serious recomendations.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I live in a hot climate as well, and the only thing I can advise is what I have done. Find a compact ccw you can live with and pocket carry. I started off with a 38 snub, but then moved on to the Keltec .380. It's a compromise for sure but it beats carrying nothing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I carry my PT111 in a Galco SkyOps (XD model fits it exactly) when I dress up, mostly in Docker style pants & tucked in shirt. The gun disappears completly w/no bulge or tell-tell sign. I'm 6'...180lbs...34" waist.

·
Administrator
40,270 Posts
I keep saying this, that you are more aware of the lump than the people around you are. Maybe you could try one of those day planner outfits with the built in holster and mag carrier. ;)

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
+1 on the planner! I been looking at those more and more, but not as a primary carry item. If I am out with the wife, she does not object to me having a gun. But she does hate the fact that I look sloppy to her. Carrying a planner, or small laptop case would allow me to dress to her code. I also might be able to show her that she could have a gun available to her by using it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wear a belly band..it works well, shirt tucked in and slightly pulled out and rolled over the butt of the gun. I carry this way in summer with dress slacks and tucked in short sleeved shirt..even to church carrying my PT145..and no one notices the slight buldge. Might be harder to get the gun out, but I at least am carrying. The shirt tail will have to be pulled completely out of the pants to get to the gun but can be done smoothly and quickly if needed.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I dont know if you might be interested in the DeSantis Hot Jox but at www.newyorkironworks.com they have them 50% off $22.48. I bought one of them and love it. I carry my 24/7 .40 and extra mag. Not to bad uncomfortable for all day wear.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been using the following for carry purposes for my PT-145 according to my attire and/or where I'm going:
Smart Carry
Nemesis Pocket Holster
Maxpedition Jumbo Versipak (They make Planner-type carry pieces also) The Jumbo Versipak carries a whole lotta stuff. I carry a one-pint SS thermos in it, paperback, MP3 player, sunglasses, eyeglasses, small Leatherneck, ASLT. The "gun compartment" is well hidden but easily accessible. I use the Versipack daily on mass transit. It's a perfect environment for a "man bag".
And lately, I've been using a well made heavy nylon zippered paperback book holder that has a solid carry strap along the binding edge. I lay in between the seats of the car with the zipper open enough to easily draw the firearm out. When I carry it, it is a book to anyone that looks at it. It holds either the PT-145 or my Sig Sauer P220 Compact. The drawback to a planner-type, whether it is a laptop or any other is that you must never let go of it. I've read about guys using them and having a short tether attached so they can't walk off and leave it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
MyNewNCHome said:
I am fed up! :mad:

I work as a Realtor....I wear dress clothes...I am really tired of the LUMP that my IWB holster gives me. I have gone to a size bigger pants but, come on, you and I both know that with a tucked in shirt there is a LUMP that is definetely noticable if someone were looking for it.
Is it really that big a lump? or is it mostly your knowing it is there and just feels huge. When i first started carrying i carried a 5" 1911. It felt like it weighed 20 pounds and was 2 foot long and stuck out a good foot. I just knew everyone knew i was packin. But after awhile with a good IWB like the Crossbreed i noticed that i didn't even notice that it was there and NO ONE has ever made me, including policemen. Many times my wife would ask if i was packing or not.

Wearing a shirt outside is a no brainer simple way, but not always possible, so wearing a tucked in shirt presents more problems. They simply have to fit looser than normal in order to hide. Now if your correct about people noticing, which is quite unusual as most people wouldn't notice if you had two heads, then you are simply going to have to carry a smaller gun. Something along the line of the new Rugar 380. Very small, you will be lucky to hit a barn 25 yards away, but they hide in pants pockets, shirt pockets...etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Simple solution!! Get you a kel-tec P32,3at or a Ruger LCP. Disappears in pocket with a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. ;) Chas

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
If you find a holster your comfortable sitting and walking around that fits your style of dress for work. Do it that way! I posted the next paragraph before, but it bears repeating!!!

In spite of how we feel that we are being seen, unless you pull up your shirt tail and point to your gun most people do not see it. I went out one day this week to test my theory on this. I had a 905, in my strong side pocket, a PT111 just behind my 3 o clock position, and a 357 Rossi cross draw IWB. I did have a loose long tailed shirt on. I went shopping, to restaurant, and to Dr's Office (blood test so I did not have to strip off anything), and nobody noticed!!, or even looked. I think most of the people do not think about gun people, unless your OC, and carrying a gun the size of the JUDGE, with a 6.5" barrel.

I just had dinner with 6 folks, today in a crowded rest., at least 3 of those people are anti gun, and the 4th is a kid who would have bugged the heck outa me if he knew I had a gun, and outed me to the whole world to boot. No one knew I had a gun, I could have had my shirt in, or out and nobody would have seen anything but my cell case, which I happen to wear close to my gun.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts