Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has got to be the lamest argument against concealed carry that I have ever heard or read. Completely ridiculous.

http://democurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2008/06/legal-guns-dead-neighbor-case-for.html
This tragic story won't change the minds of those who think guns don't kill people (maybe bullets do?), but it sure argues against the naive "law abiding citizens only buy guns" and "right to carry is safe" crowd. My firm belief is that everyone in the gun rights contigent truly believe someone is out to get them. And their paranoia influences the passage of insane state laws that endanger us all. From the Milwauke Journal Sentinel online:

A Milwaukee County Circuit Court jury got a disturbing view into the secret world of murder defendant Rene Stermole, 58, a malevolent world of plotting terrorists, hidden assassins and nefarious gangs.

Stermole, wept, yelled, whispered and laughed during his daylong testimony…as he tried to explain why, on June 13, 2007, he shot his neighbor, Mark Wright, six times as Wright prepared to grill dinner for his wife and 7-year-old daughter.
Nowhere in this guys blog post do I see a link to an actual news story or article. The original story can be found here.

This is what gets me. The blogger makes this [sarcasm]wonderfully eloquent point[/sarcasm] at the end of his post, "This all could have been avoided if Wright had just had a concealed firearm with him as he grilled out, right?" Clearly the answer is no. Based on the facts as presented in the article the shooter is off his twig and a danger to anyone around him. If the victim had been carrying a handgun it would not have prevented the shooting. However, he may have had the opportunity to defend himself and kill the shooter or at least cause the shooter to take cover. Mr. Wright may have been able to defend himself and live to tell the story. Then again, he may have been dead before the second round was fired. It's all speculation, but it in no way is an argument against concealed carry as the blogger tries to make it out to be.

Follow up:
Stermole convicted of killing neighbor(the small story is over 1/2 way down the page. I have quoted it entirely below.)
A Milwaukee County Circuit Court jury today convicted Rene Stermole of first-degree intentional homicide for the June 13, 2007, shooting of his neighbor, Mark Wright.

Stermole, 58, shot Wright at least six times as Wright was grilling dinner for his wife and daughter.

Stermole believed Wright, 47, a maintenance worker, was linked to international terrorist organizations and street gangs, and that they had been plotting for years to kill him.

Stermole's trial will now begin its second phase. The jury that convicted him will hear testimony and determine if Stermole is not culpable for his crime because of mental disease or defect.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention his completely retarded his opening statement is.

it sure argues against the naive "law abiding citizens only buy guns" and "right to carry is safe" crowd.
I don't know about you guys & gals, but I have never said or even heard someone say that "law abiding citizens only buy guns". :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
21,806 Posts
He's from wilwaukee they don't allow you to carry and he was obviously mentaly disturbed boy that sounds like a fare comparrison. To a regular guy who choses to protect himself. Its funny that people that have never been on the other end of violence can talk on the subject like a pro. Like all these people that say all the soldiers are in the service to get an education and never entended to fight. Living near Fort Campbell I can tell you most of the soldiers I've met and there have been many are soldiers through the heart and maybe 2 % would wine even if they never held a job and had a free ticket to Harvard.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't see how anything could have prevented the tragedy. IF the guns were legally purchased, and the gun dealer or individual knew he was crazy as a loon, then I consider them liable. As we all know its illegal to sell a gun to someone who appears to be mentally impared.

That said, lets assume he was able to mask his insanity and purchase the guns legally. Under those circumstances, I don't see how this could have been avoided. If I put myself in the neighbor's place I would be dead now. And
I'm a guy that has a gun in every room and carries concealed, but if I were in the backyard grilling, that might be the exception. I can't think of a single time I've taken out the trash armed, or carried a gun while cooking in the back yard. And I'm the paranoid type.

I have to go now, I hear the black helocopters and this time I'm getting a serial number.
:p

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't think I'm paranoid, but there are fewer trips to take out trash or grilling, that I'm not packing. Bud

·
Administrator
35,633 Posts
I've said that only law abiding citizens buy guns from GUNSHOPS. Criminals buy guns, but mostly on the black market. Anybody who thinks there isn't a very large black market for guns is naive. So is anybody that thinks criminals go to gun shops to buy their guns.

This dude is an ACLU loving blowhard. He doesn't deserve a response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts