Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
http://taurususa.com/whatsnew/revolvers.cfm

All Judges are now labeled as "4510". The 3-inch chamber is not out as of yet---just the 2 1/2----which I have. When I bought mine it was called the "4410". I think Taurus changed the designation since it fires 45 Colt ammo, hence the "45"10. Possible some people were getting confused with the "44" in front of the 10. Although if one were to look on the underside of the barrel they would clearly see it marked "45LC/410GA".

On a side note the UltraLite Judge is out now. It weighs 22.4 ounces compared to the 29 ounce weight of the original. I don't think that 6 1/2 ounces is really all that much of a difference.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was kind of looking at the Judge also; I noticed somewhere that it had a 6 round configuration and from what I remember didn't it originally have a max 5 round cap? Anyhow, I wasn't quite sure where it would fit in my arsenal but that elongated cylinder looks cool IMO. I'm more a fan of the looks of the shorter barrel vs the long, however.

·
Registered
539 Posts
While we are talking about the Judge; you guys/gals that have one, what is your primary use for it or your intended use if you are going to pick one up? Regarding price, where did you guys find the best price?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
That's definitely a typo on that site. Contact your dealer and let him know. Maybe he'll throw something your way for being so observant. :)

My Judge has two main purposes: 1. Vehicle defense tool. (It's loaded with Winchester "000" buckshot, Winchester #4 shot, and a WInchester 45 Colt 225grain SilverTip)

2. I take it with me when I go hiking in the desert to dispatch rattlers. (For that I keep all 5 loads the same---Winchester #6 shot). Also carry my 444 UltraLite to take care of larger predators.

As far as price goes, I got mine in Cabela's for $389. They are becoming increasingly hard to come by so I expect the prices to rise a bit. I have seen a few in the same price range I paid----$375-$425.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
From all the buzz that's been going around for the judge you'd think Smith and Wesson or Ruger would have come up with a 410 revolver a long time ago. I think there was another pistol maker out there that did, but for the life of me I can't remember who did it.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Oh and another thing. In another post I mentioned my old man having a .410 derringer. Well now he's using it for non lethal pest control. Those 6mm airsoft bbs fit exactly into a .410 shell, and he uses them every time the neighbor's cats try to poop in his garden. The noise plus the shock of getting hit makes them to scared to even approach his yard.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Here is another thing about the Judge that I was curious about. If you have, say a 357 or 44, wouldn't it be just as simple/effective to use the CCI shotshell or is the 410 appreciably more effective than either of those loads? I would think that they would just as effective on small game/snakes as the 410 and you wouldn't necessarily have to purchase the Judge (although no such thing as too many guns IMO).

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The 410 has the options of using a slug along with a variety of shot sizes including several sizes of buckshot. The 357 and 44 shot loads are generally small birdshot style loads. I have used the shot loads in both 357 & 44 loads, they are great on very close shots for things like snakes (which they where designed for). But really not in the same league as the 410.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks for the info Draeger. The link that Gopher posted was informative; what is your guys' take on that particular reviewer saying that the .410 would not be effective out of the Judge for stopping power in a defensive situation?

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Personally speaking I'd not feel undergunned with five 88 gr. slugs if that's all I had, though some might.

If I were stoking the cylinder with my own preference however, the situation would dictate what I had in the cylinder. In a vehicle, the first two shots would be birdshot followed by three rounds of .45 LC.

In the home I'd likely have all the chambers filled with .45 LC. Again though, if only limited to birdshot, buckshot and slugs I'd not feel they were inadequate if I used them in the situation they were best suited for.

The .22LR, while not a manstopper or really a suitable first (second, third etc..) choice for being pressed into a SD situation, has still done the business on many goblins and other ne'er-do-wells over several decades.

That being said, I'd much rather have the .410 for SD than the .22LR.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I like the option of carrying the first round as shot-shell or the 410; I feel that in a rush to shoot the first round doesn't have to be dead-dead center and the follow-up is much easier since the kick is not harsh what-so-ever. When I think of being attacked I also think of multiple attackers and the 'spread' from the shot being able to potentially hit 2 or more attackers depending on proximity and other factors. I am thinking a direct hit in the face with that will do some major damage; hard for them to attack us if they can't see us!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts