Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I see you have Winchester 1/2oz #6 shot there. The spread is quite extreme after about 5 yards. I use 2 rifled slugs by either Remington, Federal, or Winchester as my nightstand loads along with 3 rounds of "000" buck---3 pellets by either Winchester or S&B. (These have a nice pattern even at 10 yards believe it or not). Try the #4 Winchester SuperX. About 10 bucks for 25 shells.

·
Super Moderator
35,678 Posts
I'd choose the Winchester Silver Tip .45 Colt load over a slug. A .410 slug weighs 85 or so grains and out of the short barrel, wouldn't have much for velocity/energy. The Winchester .45 Colt Silver Tip load is a good self defense load. Heck, it's .45 Caliber, what more need be said. :D I'd shoot the 000 backed up by the Silver Tip, or at least that'd be my first tests in the gun. I really don't think you'd need the Silver Tips after three triple oughts, though, tell ya the truth. :D

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
When I go to the high desert hiking I load it with 5 shells of #4 shot(great for snakes) Along with the Judge I carry my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan loaded with 210gr Speer Gold Dot HP's(for mountain lions and javelina). At home now it's in this order: 000 buck, silvertip colt, silvertip colt, 000 buck, 000 buck. (Now that would hurt) The great thing about the Judge is that the recoil is not nearly as harsh as a 44 Mag or even a 357. Kinda feels like I'm shooting 38+P's out of my SP101. Very controllable which means faster target reacquisition along with excellent stopping power.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A quick question - What holster are you using with this pistol?
What I did was take an old military shoulder holster cut the threads off the trigger side , put pistol in marked and had shoe shop re-sew and repositioned the retaining strap to fit gun.
Soaked holster in water inserted pistol (well oiled) and allowed holster to dry, applied silicone. Good fit and retainability.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looking good there. I really like the short barrel, but got a 6inch instead. I'm waiting for the 3" Magnum in short barreled form.

Also, I'm going to try hunting with my 4410 later this year. I really like shooting the shot loads, and its the only shotgun I can have right now.

I'll have some results later this summer for you guys

·
Super Moderator
35,678 Posts
Hunting? Hunting what? The gun is not for long range, short barrel, no choke. You'd be lucky to get a bird inside five feet with it. For hunting, think shotgun, not pistol. Even my full choked Contender with 10" barrel in .45/.410 is only good for 20-25 yards max. It just has no pattern density past that. An unchoked revolver wouldn't have that pattern past 5 or 10 feet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Native, even if I used 000 or some 4 loads I still won't get a good pattern?

I was hoping to use the Judge to do a little informal Quail or Rabbit hunting, guess I'm back to square 1.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The Judge is definitely NOT meant for hunting. The gun is not a novelty either--it is a serious tool for self defense at close range.

·
Super Moderator
35,678 Posts
The buckshot loads only have 3 (2.5") or five (3") balls per. Past hand shake range, you ain't gonna hit a rabbit or bird. You can pick up a nice little 20 gauge H&R or Rossi single shot for a hundred bucks. In fact, friend of mine just bought one of those switch barrel Rossis for not much over a hundred, .223 barrel and 12 gauge. I'd suggest no more than 20 gauge for a gun that light, though. 12 will pound you and 20 is a fine hunting gun with full or modified choke on birds out to 40 yards. Heck, I picked up a Remington Spartan side by side 20 recently, was only $300 and came with interchangeable choke tubes. I'm going to even shoot some ducks with it next season. I have 2 12 gauges, a Mossberg 500 (pump, camo 28" barrel) and a Winchester 1400 (semi auto), a 12 gauge side by side (old Spanish built gun), and a 16 gauge single shot. I've been a wing shooter for most of my life. I wanted that spartan for several reasons. I've been wanting another double (though I had been thinking stack barrel) and I wanted it in 20 because I didn't have one. Also, I wanted it with a short enough barrel to stow in my GoldWing's trunk. This thing has a 20" barrel and fits fine. I patterned it and it shoots a nice 30" pattern with Winchester AA 7/8 ounce loads at 40 yards, should be all I need, though it'll be whippy as heck with that short barrel and light weight, rearward balance. I'll have to concentrate on follow through with it to hit anything. LOL

A little single shot 20 would do fine for you, though, and be cheap to purchase. You like getting new guns, don't you? You'd be amazed how fast you can reload one with proper technique, too. I know good shooters that can shoot doubles with a single shot, if the second bird is delayed a hair. It's amazing to watch. Just hold a shell in their off hand and slap it in real quick after the first shot. You'll never get a second chance on a rabbit anyway, trust me on this. LOL And, the quick pointing, light weight, and easy tote of a single shot is just what the doctor ordered on a flushing rabbit.

·
Super Moderator
35,678 Posts
Oh, btw, hit the pawn shops. You can easily find used single shots for fifty bucks at a pawn shop. I mean, you can get a NEW one for a hundred or a tad over. Keep your judge by the bed loaded for human intruders. That's what the gun is all about. From what I've been hearing, with .45 colts, it has accuracy enough that with a decent 255 grain load moving out at 1000 fps (not a +P, would be fine in the gun), it COULD be used on deer or hogs. But, it's sure not a bird/rabbit gun. Those 000 loads are fine at very short (in the home) range for self defense, but not for hunting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BDS said:
A quick question - What holster are you using with this pistol?
What I did was take an old military shoulder holster cut the threads off the trigger side , put pistol in marked and had shoe shop re-sew and repositioned the retaining strap to fit gun.
Soaked holster in water inserted pistol (well oiled) and allowed holster to dry, applied silicone. Good fit and retainability.

Thanks
Bob

I got a Universal Belt Holster from WestWoods Landing. I picked up the chest carry rig. Very nice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello: How available is the Judge. I havent seen one at the dealers.
Also how much does this gun retail for.
I saw the video on it and it does look like a good close range self protection rig.
I dont think I have ever seen a 45 cal revolver that shoots shotgun rounds.
Let us know how the gun performs.
Safe Shooting.

·
Registered
532 Posts
zero244 said:
Hello: How available is the Judge. I havent seen one at the dealers.
Also how much does this gun retail for.
I saw the video on it and it does look like a good close range self protection rig.
I dont think I have ever seen a 45 cal revolver that shoots shotgun rounds.
Let us know how the gun performs.
Safe Shooting.
I remember, in the late 70s, early 80s, a derringer, maybe American Derringer, that was a .410/.45 Colt. A fellow at work had one. I shot it. Was pretty cool. I think it was loaded with the 3 buckshot pellets in the .410

·
Registered
10 Posts
THE JUDGE

anyone own one? i just saw them this week in a magazine. want it, gotta have it. called all the local stores some never heard of it, those that knew about it were sold out and had on order and said they would buy from me if i had one,,,,well maybe they didnt say that,,lol. but the ones that have had it say they sold out quick. i can imagine the 410 end but how does the 45 end shoot???

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Re: THE JUDGE

I want one, almost bought one a couple of time, but decided I am waiting on the 3" 410 model. The barrel is rifled and depending on which barrel length you get it should be fine for food, fun and protection.

·
Registered
34 Posts

I have one, ss 3in barrel version. 410 spreads out REALLY fast (suprise, suprise)...45's are reasonably accurate out to 10 yards. I've had to send it back to taurus once because the cylinder would fail to rotate, they fixed it. Took a really long time, but they fixed it. Anyway, any more specific questions and just give me a holler.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Actually I meant I was waiting on the 3" chambered model that I hear is coming out late or early next year. Not the current 2 3/4 model.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.