Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
muttmutt,... A Range update please... and did you get a box of Black Powder's YET...<:))

Just a little Movie & Target Pics...<:))
The Judge Loses Weight: Taurus Ultra-Lite .45 Colt/.410 Shotshell Revolver
http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-UltraLiteJudge.htm

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sgt, I have only shot about 50 45's through it so far. I have fired some cheap 410 bird shots but have not got any black powder yet. I did fire some Mag Safe defenders just to try them out. They tend to kick a little. :D

I actually qualified for my CCW with it. The instructor was a little suprised at what I was shooting. All shots hit the center mass . The only thing I noticed was after shooting 30-40 rounds, I switched to my 24/7 pro. My arms were shaking quite a bit from the Judge. I just think it was due to the stress of making sure I qualified. I think I should have started with the 9mm first !! :-\

I really want to get some black powder rounds and try them but just have not had much time lateley with the holidays. Also the indoor range would probably not like them too well. I will have to wait for warmer weather here. :(

I am a little concerned about the black powder effecting the finish on the gun. Do you think it will harm the finish ??

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I have put about 200 round of LC thru mine, but nothing with Black Powder. I admit most were cowboy loads, 200 gr and some were pretty smoky. My matte stainless does discolor during shooting and accumulate unburnt stuff, but seems to clean back up to what it looked like new.

I too have been considering qualifying with it. Mainly because I am a better shot with it, than with my PT111, and have not had enough rounds thru my 357 to be sure I could qualify.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, Guy's... the black powder won't harm the finish as long as you clean it the same day you shoot it... washes right off with some WD40 when you clean it...<:)) Robby, nothing makes for tight groups like a Long Barrel or a "Range Gun Vice"...<:)) Oh, or My Target 1911 with 6" Barrel, and Laser...<:))

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
:D You know, I got a 1/2 inch more barrel than yours, plus that extended cylinder, probably adds another inch with 45 LC. Yep you convinced me to use it to qualify.

Usually all I have to do to get the smokey stuff from cowboy loads off, is a piece of T shirt, with some regular cleaner on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
John Taffin recomends Windex with vinager (not ammonia) for cleaning up guns shot with Black Powder. You may have to search for it Safeway here carries it. He pours the contents of one bottle into a gal. bucket & fills the rest of the bucket with water. Says it really cuts BP fouling. He has shot a lot of BP loads in various six-guns. You should also put your fired cases into water soon after shooting them to help remove the fouling & salts left in the cases as residue.Frank

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
shaner said:
man i keep lookin atthe judge i really want one ,now that the 3in cylinders are avalible :p
Yeah, that is the only bummer about mine! Very limited shot selections of 410 in the 2 1/2". I am still glad I got the long one though. Tough to conceal, being 13" long and all. But it does reach out and touch the target nice.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Robby,...
This where I buy My 000 Buck (good Killers)... Remember No SLUGS out of this GUN...!!! And remember that #4's out of this Gun are Good BAR Cleaners...!!!...<:)) I order my Black Powder and other ammo from Cabelas or Sportsman Guide...

410 Ga 000 Buckshot, WRA, 5 rd Box $4.48 Winchester, 2 1/2 inch, 3 pellets of 000 Buck.

http://www.chestnutridge.com/products/ammo.asp

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
SgtKnuckles said:
Robby,...
This where I buy My 000 Buck (good Killers)... Remember No SLUGS out of this GUN...!!! And remember that #4's out of this Gun are Good BAR Cleaners...!!!...<:)) I order my Black Powder and other ammo from Cabelas or Sportsman Guide...

410 Ga 000 Buckshot, WRA, 5 rd Box $4.48 Winchester, 2 1/2 inch, 3 pellets of 000 Buck.

http://www.chestnutridge.com/products/ammo.asp
Ok, six months ago I kind of figured slugs would have been a waste of time and money, when you can put a 255 gr hollow point thru it. This is my oldest new gun. I bought it first! Probably got more round thru it than any of my other guns. I did worry about recoil when I bought it, but now I say "what recoil??"

TY for the info on double OO, I wish I had found the 3" cylinder one when I bought mine, but what the H! We all cannot be brilliant.

Oh, and it did get the attention of all the neighbors when I fire it on my home range. No matter if I am shooting 410's or light loaded cowboy rounds it makes a heck of a racket.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sir Sgt Knuckles Sir! I read u don't recommend firing
slugs out of Judge. Why? I just ordered 6 boxes of
Federal Pwr Shok 1/4 ouncers as no other ammo avalia-
ble. I read many people write the 410 slug has no
effective use as it quickly loses velocity with range, but
they never say distance they would be effective to. If
people can get killed by slingshots as shown on that
show "Warrior", why would'nt a 410 slug be effective -
within its range. Wouldn't it be cheaper to use that 45
lcs for feral dogs, coyote and moutain lions? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well, a slug, is usually loaded in a shot shell, with a plastic shot cup or wad behind it. It does not seal to the barrel, but kind of bounces out of it. It can more tend to key hole, or wander on the target with the same POA. Slugs are not designed for short barreled revolvers.

If you use any LC, from 185 to 350gr your going to take advantage of the rifling, and the short barrel. With 00 or 000 you get the advantage of 3 to 5 shot from one pull of the trigger, and about 1200 fps out of a short barrel, because they are made that way.

To me it is a no brainer to run LC's or buckshot out of the JUDGE, even #6 or #9 shot has a purpose from the JUDGE.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Robby,... +1
cartjudge,... hehehe... I would have answered sooner, But I was at the Range all day with friends... And FUN was had by ALL...<:))
1) Well the Diameter of a Sabot Slug is Smaller than a 45cal Barrel Hole (think .410 Barrel Hole its designed to shoot down) It just slops down that .45 Hole...
2) A 1/4 ounce Slug weight is 109 Grains, and a .45LC Slug is a average 250 Grains (a .45LC is your Slug in a Judge, and as an added Bonus it Takes the Shallow Judge Rifling making it more accurate)...
3) That Slug makes a nice Blast, but most of the Expected High Velocity is lost buy the Short Barrel...
4) The Judge Spits them Slugs down range with that sloppy fit in the Barrel, they are unstabilized, and you can expect some of them Key-Holing... Key-Holing throws a Hook, just like a Bowling Ball... Of course there is a Glimmer to think about... A .223 tumbles on impact making a Messy Wound Channel... So we can Hipothisize that the Little Tumbling 109gr. Slug would also make a Messy Hole... I can't think of anybody that would Like getting Hit by one even if its the SIDE of the Slug... I'm sure that They will Kill BG's with Proper Shot Placement... You just need to be more Accurate where you put that Little Bugger...YUP
5) Have FUN at the Range with them Slugs...<:))

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was just in Vance's 3723 Cleveland Ave in the north end of Columbus this afternoon and they had at least 12 CASES of 410, 2 1/2" Federal 000 buckshot on the floor. I've never seen it there. 20 shells for $15.99.

I picked up two boxes. It's labeled as Federal Handgun, Home defense loads.

They also had 9 Judges in the case. Two were 6" barrels, the rest were 3" barrels with some 2 1/2" cylinders and others 3" cylinders. Some blued finish and some SS finish.

If you are looking for a Judge or ammo... better hurry. They never keep anything in stock for long.

BB54

1 - 15 of 15 Posts