Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Judge 3'' barrel is SS. It's a blast to shoot and cans tremble in my presence. Yes, the fun meter is pegged at the right side when I shoot that thing! I always offer to let folks at the range take a blast with some 410 if they've never shot one and the universal response is a big grin followed by something like "Boy that was fun!"

Now to my question. The advantage to using the 410 while in a vehicle for defense is that collateral damage or bystander injury is likely lower than with 45LC. Round' here we drive with our windows up and AC blasting a good bit of the year so please provide comments on this scenario. Scumbag runs up to you car window at night at a stoplight downtown. You see he approached with a knife or gun so you know this is an impending car jacking, murder, rape, robbery, whatever. You pull your Judge (Jury and Hangin' in this case) and shoot scumbag point blank in the face through the car window. I think you would be OK with buckshot. I think any shot smaller than buckshot might ricochet back into the car as the window glass was breaking. What are your thoughts on shooting smaller size shot through a car window?

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Well lets see, Your gonna be deaf, hit by ricochets off the glass, and the BG is gonna die laughing!! Actually, at the range of a car window passenger side, I think it is gonna break it, not sure if it will do a lot of damage to the bad guy, from the shot, or the flying glass. But I think he probably will be thru with his planned operation. Drivers side window, your gonna get a bit of glass on you, cut or not I am not sure. If your using buckshot, all bets are off IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
21,946 Posts
I think the Judge is a great backcounrty gun but will stick with my 9mm or 45 for self defence I know the clip showing the BG getting it bad with birdshoot but the window was down I don't know about the window thing might want to take a trip to a junkyard and give it a try.

·
15,931 Posts
Well from past knowledge of glass breaking, and the tool I still have in my truck to break the side windows you do not need to test it. The impact will break it, how much it will slow down the shot or throw it off trajectory I do not know.

·
Registered
124 Posts
There's videos of them shooting the Judge in an SUV on the Taurus website. Granted it was a controlled range and the windows were down.

But seriously... if you're doors are locked, and windows up... Why not just drive off?

·
15,931 Posts
That should be the first option you take! Run unless you can't for what ever reason. You only engage as you have no other options left.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Birdshot and hollow points may not go through auto glass. 00 buck can go through in a 12 gauge load but I'm not sure about 410. 45 colt in lead slug however will go through and have enough gas to do him in, but beating feet is better. If you can roll down the window because the mayhem of shooting a gun in a car with rolled up windows is not something you want to live through.

·
Registered
959 Posts
~Little update on what the Kid is thinking about~
Awhile back, the Kid (Amanda) that lives in Orlando, pulled up to a Red stop light at night, and a Guy came off the sidewalk, and rushed her...!!! It was warm, and her window was down... She had to floor it, and speed off through the RED Light to get away... The Guys ARM was in her car grabbing at her as she sped off....YIKES... (She's thinking about getting a Roscoe for self-defense now)...

Well you Know "The Number "ONE" Rule of Gun Self-Defense"~If you have to use your Gun in a Fight or DIE situation, and you have decided to "Protect and Defend", You always take "TWO" quick Shots... NOT just one test shot...!!! Now you re-adjust your aim, and empty your Gun if needed... Make's the Window situation a Moot Point, (no window on second split second shot)...

NOTE: The Judge is a Meat Grinder Plain and Simple... You can empty the Gun in just under Two Seconds (1 1/2) That would put 15 000 Buck on target (same as 15 9mm's) and really mess up a BG's day...!!! Point and Shoot Babe~Point and Shoot Babe... Theres no place for a BG to hide from an instant Barrage like that...!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Several have suggested driving off. If it's an option that's what I'd do. I have seen several vehicles that Police have shot at windows. It's dicy at best. If it's shoot of die I'd shoot & in lots of cases just pulling your gun causes the bad guy to leave quickly. Hope it never happens. Frank

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Appreciate the feedback and comments. I'll stick with 00 buck when this pistol is in the car. And yes, I understand the best defense is to avoid any confrontation to begin with. I'm a military officer and the only time I was ever shot at in the line of duty (or ever) was a time when I was not armed...so I know what its like to be on the wrong end of a gun (and defenseless). Oh well, you never know what life will throw at you, it makes you appreciate how precious life really is. Thanks again for the comments.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.