Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Chances are you have never heard of Tony Verna. But you are intimately familiar with his work.
Verna, who died Sunday at 81, invented the instant replay. Yes, there was a time when you could not see the same play from a dozen angles in high-def frame-by-frame slo-mo. In fact, there was no particular reason to even deploy multiple broadcast cameras until instant replay — a genuine example of the media changing the message..."

image.jpg

STORY: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/inventor-instant-replay-just-died-praise-power-hacks-john-c-abell

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Wonder if Madden will be at his funeral? When i think of instant replays, i think of Madden writing all over the screen, detailing the play we just watched.

Creek

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Does this mean that instant replay will go with him?:D:D:D

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If instant replay was any good, he would be reliving his life now.:smile:
The advanced version is still, unfortunately, in the works.
OR is that Grounhog Day with Bill Murray?!

I remember the days watching the play - the walk to the huddle, the walk. From the huddle to the line. BOOM. A 3 second run play. Walk to the huddle...

;)

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
According to the article I read, his initial motivation for replay was to fill in the boring interval between plays. Football has long been, and still is criticized for being long on time and short on action.

If he could have seen the future of his innovation- The review of every close play- the overturning of calls on the field- would he reconsider? It would undoubtedly have been implemented by someone anyhow....

Reactions: ISSMER and mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

WOW - check out that 'early' technology!!!

Reactions: CreekFisher

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
I wonder if there will be a slow motion replay of his death on youtube....... :D

Reactions: CreekFisher

·
Registered
12,089 Posts
Thanks to him on his way out....thanks to him on his way out....thanks to him on his way out....

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if there will be a slow motion replay of his death on youtube....... :D
"if we can run that again - see right here!"

"That's the doctor calling the time of death but look at the clock....aaaaaand THERE! - the soul left the body three - maybe four seconds AFTER the doctor's call!!"

"The new rules say we can't call this one back but the doctor is certainly going to have to go to the charts and put 3 maybe 4 seconds back onto the time of death."

"We'll have to wait for a final ruling from the head office but that was extremely clear to me - definitely an early call by the team physician!!"

"Why don't we go to a commercial while we await that final ruling..."

*something like that?!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I originally wanted to make jokes. But i thought it would be out of line.... i shouldve known better! Yall had me laughing pretty good!

Creek

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
No kidding. Toupees have come a long way since then.
I saw lights and switches and wires. Forest for the trees. They electric glow gets me every time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts