Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the anti-gun fervor in government and in the media, I thought it might be both fun and educational to start a thread about the part guns have played in the history of America - whether during the founding and expansion of the country or those guns we used fighting wars on foreign soil.

Here are the rules:
1.One nomination per person in order to give everyone a chance to post their favorite.
2.If possible, include a picture.
3.Tell us why you think your choice should be included in a roster of America's greatest guns.
4.No flaming of currently manufactured firearms.

I'll start:
This handgun was a significant improvement in firepower compared to everything that had gone before: heavy bullet, long range accuracy, multiple loads. At almost five lbs. it was too heavy to be carried on the hip so a saddle holster was devised. Used in the Mexican War and later by Texas Rangers in the frontier wars, the sheer firepower both dominated and demoralized enemies still using muzzle-loading pistols and rifles.

Further reading:
Gun Review: The Walker Colt | The Truth About Guns

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
No thread about great guns would be complete without the 1911:

View attachment 50284

The fact that it's design has been relatively unchanged in over 100 years speaks to it's simple, reliable elegance as a shooting
weapon. It has seen action, one way or another, in every combat theater since WW I.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I must agree with the Walker Colt. There is an original at the Ranger museum in Waco I saw when I visited there. One sold at auction a couple of years ago for nearly $1 million. It had the name of the original owner (a Ranger) scratched in the trigger guard. It was the most powerful handgun in the world until the introduction of the .357 magnum in 1934.

http://www.auctioncentralnews.com/index.php/features/antiques/258?fontstyle=f-larger

The Outlaw Josey Whales carried 2 as his main side arms and Gus carried one in Lonesome Dove, replicas of course.

·
Registered
648 Posts

View attachment 50284

The fact that it's design has been relatively unchanged in over 100 years speaks to it's simple, reliable elegance as a shooting
weapon. It has seen action, one way or another, in every combat theater since WW I.
Looks like we found our winner!

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I would like to nominate the S&W Model One. While it was a only a .22 caliber, what makes the Model One the grandfather of all American Handguns and ultimately the greatest gun world wide is that it was the first (1857) successful American repeating handgun that was chambered for a completely self contained metallic cartridge.

All of the repeating handguns of today can be traced back to the S&W Model One. No matter where they are made, what country they are from, or who uses them todays repeating hand guns would not exist without the tiny little S&W.

Don

·
Registered
30,024 Posts

View attachment 50284

With 102 years of service and counting, the venerable 1911 stands head and shoulders above the pack.

The .50 cal M-2 BMG "Maw-Duece" holds second place...nothings come down the pike yet that can ever replace these two war horses.
:icon_ lala:

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Agree with all the above.
My nomination is what old "Blood & Guts", General George Patton, called "the greatest battle implement" ever devised - the venerable M1 Garand.

BTW, it was 106 degrees in north Texas this day...

Shooting sport Shooting Recreation Sport venue Shooting range

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
This is such a great thread! You guys are really teaching me a lot! Please - keep this going!
I'm going to contribute the Browning M2 50 cal machine gun - only because at one time many years ago I was taught when I was a green suiter how to disassemble and re- assemble one - and got so good that I had the fastest time in my platoon. Also - because it was really impressive to fire!

Here is what Wikipdeida says about the 50 cal:
The M2 Machine Gun or Browning .50 Caliber Machine Gun, is a heavy machine gun designed towards the end of World War I by John Browning. It is very similar in design to Browning's earlier M1919 Browning machine gun, which was chambered for the .30-06 cartridge. The M2 uses the much larger and much more powerful .50 BMG cartridge, which was developed alongside and takes its name from the gun itself (BMG standing for Browning Machine Gun). The M2 has been referred to as "Ma Deuce",[SUP][5][/SUP] or "the fifty" in reference to its caliber. The design has had many specific designations; the official designation for the current infantry type is Browning Machine Gun, Cal. .50, M2, HB, Flexible. It is effective against infantry, unarmored or lightly armored vehicles and boats, light fortifications and low-flying aircraft.
The Browning .50 caliber machine gun has been used extensively as a vehicle weapon and for aircraft armament by the United States from the 1920s to the present. It was heavily used during World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and during the Iraq War and War in Afghanistan in the 2000s and 2010s. It is the primary heavy machine gun of NATO countries, and has been used by many other countries. The M2 has been in use longer than any other small arm in U.S. inventory except the .45 ACP M1911 pistol, also designed by John Browning.

Gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Air gun

·
Registered
19,174 Posts
I would have to say the SHARPS CARBINE.. Sorry no pictures....

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
I would have to say the SHARPS CARBINE.. Sorry no pictures....
Here's a picture, tazelmo - tell us a little about it, please!
Gun Air gun Wood

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Premium Member
14,418 Posts
I'll start:
This handgun was a significant improvement in firepower compared to everything that had gone before: heavy bullet, long range accuracy, multiple loads. At almost five lbs. it was too heavy to be carried on the hip so a saddle holster was devised. Used in the Mexican War and later by Texas Rangers in the frontier wars, the sheer firepower both dominated and demoralized enemies still using muzzle-loading pistols and rifles.

Further reading:
Gun Review: The Walker Colt | The Truth About Guns

Here's more reading on Colt revolvers including that Walker. Genesis Of The Colt Single Action Series | American Handgunner

·
Registered
582 Posts
I believe now that 2A is under scrutiny, homage should be given to the rifles that fought to establish that freedom in the first place. The muskets used in the Revolutionary War included the Brown Bess, the Charleville, and the Kentucky long rifle according to this link Weapons of the Revolutionary War. While they and others played a significant role, I'm choosing the Kentucky long rifle because it was mostly "American" in origin.

Lance Quarterstaff

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I know this weapon isn't on the same level as Colt or Winchester but it's my personal favorite.

An M-60. It's what I carried in Vietnam. A great, great weapon. It saved lots of be-hinds over there!

When you fired one of these you were one bad mother you-know-what!

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Assault rifle

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I believe now that 2A is under scrutiny, homage should be given to the rifles that fought to establish that freedom in the first place. The muskets used in the Revolutionary War included the Brown Bess, the Charleville, and the Kentucky long rifle according to this link Weapons of the Revolutionary War. While they and others played a significant role, I'm choosing the Kentucky long rifle because it was mostly "American" in origin.

View attachment 50297
Glad you included this.
It was a recent reading about the superior accuracy and range of the Kentucky rifle over the British Brown Bess that led me to conceive this thread.

·
Registered
30,024 Posts
Agree with all the above.
My nomination is what old "Blood & Guts", General George Patton, called "the greatest battle implement" ever devised - the venerable M1 Garand.
Have to agree with this one.

There may be higher capacity quicker to reload box magazine fed battle rifles on the field today but...

The M-1 Garand is the Rolls-Royce of Rifles. The sweetest, softest shooting .30-06 I ever wrapped my mitts around!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.