Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The last gun John Browning designed became the P-35 or more commonly known as the "Hi-Power". For some the linkage of the Browning name with the Hi-Power is lost in the brand name of the Browning Gun Company and thus, the Browning Hi-Power. I had for years seen these grand ole guns with their distinctive pinched in front slides and their elegant designs, but it wasn't until this year that my son called my attention to the fact that Fabrique Nationale (FN) the Belgium company that has built the original Hi-Powers, and who owns Browning Guns, was dropping their own FAN brand in favor of the higher priced Browning name. So I was able to buy a Browning's Hi-Power for $417 rather than a Browning Hi-Power for $850.

Many will argue that the 1911 is the King of John M. Browning's designs, but the Browning Hi-Power then must be the queen. To pick up the weapon is to feel the grace of the lines and the thinner and more elegant curves. The cam locking system that John Browning developed for the Hi-Power has become the standard for the industry and is at the heart of most Taurus designs.

The Hi-Power off the shelf is a bit fussy and exercises a mind of her own. The French government required the inclusion of a magazine disconnect, just as the US government was the author of the grip safety on the 1911. The firing linkages of the Hi-Power tend to gravitate against the most perfect trigger. However, loving attention to this old Lady will turn her into a delight. Either the removal or modification of the magazine disconnect, replacing the heavy hammer spring and tweaking and polishing the linkages will yield a 4.5 lb trigger which breaks crisp.

The first impression on shooting the Hi-Power was that this gun was capable of more accuracy than I was. It tended to hit what I shot at with delightful consistency. It seems to have almost a natural point to it. The gun is still steel throughout, so it is a bit heavier than the current Wonder 9's but in it's day the 13 round staggered capacity verses the 7 round 1911 standard made it the high capacity giant of it's day.

I bought the .40 S&W since FN had redesigned the standard slide for the heavier round, not just boring out the additional dimensions for the "shorty 40". The Hi-Power in the .40 is an exquisite combination... a very hard hitting round in the almost 5" barrel, but recoil was tamed by the length and weight of the slide.

Stephen Camp and his website on the Hi-Power (http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html) will give much more information that I can here. But if you should happen to see a nice FN Hi-Power at a ridiculously low price when compared the gun counter prices of the Browning, then stop and consider the elegant lines of this classic lady. Some guns come and go, but I can't imagine why I would ever part with this one pistol!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
They're very fine pistols to be sure -- if not one of the finest of all time and I doubt few would argue with that.

I've seen the Charles Daly Hi-Powers listed online but don't know how they stack up, so to speak, to the FNs.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm a dyed in the wool 1911 guy. Recently I picked up a Charles Daly HiPower. Had the mag disconnect pulled and the gun is amazing.
So now I have the King and Queen and my 1911 holsters fit both.

I'm so happy.

AFS

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, word of note... die hard P-35 shooters like Stephen Camp takes umbrage at my femenizing the Hi-Power. It just my opinion that the gun is just flat more graceful. The 1911 LOOKS like it is meant to fight a war. The Hi-Power looks like something to be worn as an honor guard's weapon. JMO

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Hmm sounds like the CD HP may be worth looking into at the right price then. Thanks for that tidbit of info. :)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI... CDNN still has clearances for their .40 S&W FN Hi-Powers. FN owns the Browning name and has been importing their guns and seeling them as the Browning Hi-Power. FN attempted to break into the LE market by using their own logo and discounting About $200 off the Browning price. They finally decided that it was unwise to keep under pricing their main line (the Browning Hi-Power) and dumped their inventory. You will still see FN logoed guns, but not the FN Hi-Power. CDNN has been selling a lot of that inventory at about 1/2 the retail price for the Browning labeled guns.

So, you can buy an FN Hi-Power for $417 from CDNN. They are down to the last supplies and these are the .40 S&W with the SFS feature. I bought an identical gun from a local merchant for about the same money last year and I have been "extremely" please with the gun. I like the .40 S&W round and the Hi-Power design is outstanding... and I love the SFS safety. Won't try to explain it here, but it is a HIGHLY efficient way to carry "cocked & locked" with neither the visual intimidation of the hammer back, or the potential of an accident.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Most naturally comfortable gun to hold I think I've ever had to pleasure to shoot and own, and never had a failure with my Belgian. I LOVE the .40 S&W and wish I could own such a combo but it is not in the cards for me now -- u guys have fun and stay safe.
Alden

1 - 8 of 8 Posts