Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past couple of years there has been a substantial number of surplus Model 82's purchased by CAI, from the Government of Brazil. It seems these particular 82's came in shipping stages, with the latest 1980's production-era Model 82's coming first. It seems there was an abundance of these 1980's production ex-Brazilian Police Service Revolvers for the first couple of years. Then, the older Model 82's started showing up, the last 2-years or so. All of these Taurus Model 82's had seen police use. Some were in better condition than others, as it is with surplus arms. My last Model 82 was one of the 1st generation (early-70's) 82's, with the cosmetic linear lines 'missing' from the cylinder flutes, but present on the topstrap. This was the begining of the expensive machined-in lines being removed. The cylinder flute area removal, was the start of the complete removal of this 'expensive' cosmetic feature Taurus offered on the early revolvers. My 82 was representative of this Taurus production change. It is a well-used, police used, service revolver. It is 2-full ounces lighter than its 1980's counterpart Model 82. There was significant production modifications in these two different era Model 82's. A thicker topstrap and thicker diameter 4-inch barrel, for two manufacturing changes between the two. I love the 'feel' of this older Model 82. The lanyard is different between the two also. The early model lanyard, is a metal hook welded into the frame. The grips are different also. The checkering on these early grips really took a beating from being handled by one cop after another over the 'serving' years in the Brazilian Police Force. I will post another picture of it, as I have previously posted a short post and pic of it, if the reader cares to track it down on this forum. The recent 'surge' in interest on the older Taurus has been long coming. I really enjoy reading and seeing the other members Model 82's, 80's, and Model 65, especially the older models. Thanks my friends.

David

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Good info David!

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Great info David, thanks for the posting!

Reactions: leejack

·
8,321 Posts
Thanks for the interesting read - I love post WW2 revolvers - they are built to last and have such great history.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have one of these on the way:)

I have a weakness for the early Taurus revolvers, especially 82's and 80's.

I just also bought an ex-security 80.

I would like to find an early 65 with the recessed chambers.
I don't have much use for target sight revolvers, but I own a few.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts