Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
What is the final word on using common manufacturer +P JHP loads? I've heard conflicting reports. I've got a PT 111 Pro with Heine sights... I assume that means 3rd Gen. My partial Serial number: TCZ108XX.

Are these things safe to shoot occassionally? I have shot about 2,000 rounds of FMJ and about 20 rounds of winchester JHP +P through mine without any failures. I don't trust the +P JHPs without more extensive testing... but I'm concerned about safety and wear and tear. I want to shoot one or two hundred +p's to verify their reliability.

This gun is no longer my range fun gun, but it is my "go to" gun. It's reliable and unbelievably portable and I can usually hit a barn door with it. I keep it stoked with FMJs but I'm concerned those are a liability in a defense situation. Any recommendations on ammo brand?

I know this subject may have been covered before, but it's impossible to search for "+P" in the search engine, so I'm adding the keyword "plus p". I hope you folks will use this as an opportunity to set the record straight because this is the only post that will be searchable.

Thanks!

Administrator
afrats said:
I like Federal self defense ammo for when I carry.
+1! It's specially ballistically developed for small handguns with shorter barrels.

Registered
As Smokewagon stated, there is no final word on this topic. But Qwiks homework sure helps. ;)

Administrator
I haven't looked through all of Quiks' links, however the Winchester Ranger +P is supposed to be top notch. When I had a 9mm I used Corbon 115 gr +P.

Registered
9mm is going to go at a fairly fast velocity in standard ammo, also the caliber leads to a safer pistol anyway due to size, while not impossible overloading a 9mm shell is highly improbable due to the size of the shell. There is only so much powder you can squeeze into the shell and get a away with it. That said, it is always wisest to check with the pistol manufacturer to see what you can load in your pistol. While the 9mm has had less occurrences of catastrophic failure due to overpressure, compared to .45 and .40 calibers, it has happened so if you don't feel comfortable shooting +P don't do it there are plenty of other good hollow points in 9mm that are not +P.

Registered
This info is undoubtedly contained somewhere in those links, but I've read quite a bit of data regarding the pointlessness of using high pressure rounds in compacts; having to do with the short barrel length essentially diminishing the effectiveness of the extra pressure. I'm no expert and barely qualified to reference the information, but it's out there and seems fairly compelling (and cheaper nonetheless).

Super Moderator
I use Golden sabers or federal Hydra-shok never had a problem and trust the ammo to do its job I'd never use fmj in 9mm just cause it don't get the job done. the only gun I'd use FMJ in is my 45 just my opinion :)

Registered
I chose to use +P JHP's in my 9mm's for a couple of reasons. One is that I'll take any extra velocity I can get to help off-set the shorter barrel. This will theoretically increase the odds of the threat ceasing to attack me. The other reason is that the increased pressure will increase the slide velocity of the pistol which will help it cycle if its dirty, muddy, being held at a strange angle etc.

Something to add. I'm willing to run 9mm +P in just about anything thats also in 40 but I won't run 9mm+P+ in anything thats not also out in 357 Sig.

Steelheart

Registered
Steelheart said:
Something to add. I'm willing to run 9mm +P in just about anything thats also in 40 but I won't run 9mm+P+ in anything thats not also out in 357 Sig.

Steelheart
Same here. I've run +P+ 9mm LE only loads through my Glock 19 for years.
No problems. I wouldn't have a problem doing the same in my XD9 also.

Super Moderator
My XD 9 devours anything including +p I'm well over 1k through that gun I think its the energizer bunny.

Registered
The vast majority of failures in ammunition in .40 S&W have come from unsupported case designs. The vast majority of .45 ACP case failures has been due to double-charges of powder when they are (re) loaded.

Most problems with factory .45 ACP that I've seen were due to primer only, or other squib loads. :D

+P actually is much closer to the original loadings of many European cartridges. In fact, several CIP loads are the equivalent of our +P. Manufacturers long ago slowed down American loads due to the suit-happy society we have.

Super Moderator
this is from Combat handguns newest edition there pick for 3 in 9mm is Corbons DPX 115 grain and chose Glaser blue tips to come in second. I trust this magizine and have used the DPX round with great results. my friend who is an expert shot and ccw carries a sig with the Glaser round. I dug through my magazines for ten mintutes looking for this artical. hope it helps

Registered
Catastrophic failures happen in guns for a myriad of reasons. While it is true that a lot of them can be attributed to reloaded ammo, you also have to take into account other factors. You used to get "kabooms" in the glock 21 because the person is shooting lead bullets without cleaning the gun right and basically the .45 barrels in glocks weren't originally designed to take the pressure. In 1911's, a lot of failures were due to some over-zealous amature smith grinding the feed ramp to much and the shell has nothing to support is on the bottom causing a rupture. However with most full sized 9mm pistols you have plenty of metal and plenty of barrel to take the extra pressure, hence a safer and more reliable design. The perceived trade off is less stopping power, which may or may not be true. I don't doubt the .45's ability to put bad people into the ground, but a 9mm with the right ammo and right shot placement can do the same job.

Registered
Smaller calibers seem to exacerbate the "right ammo, placement" necessity. Much like the 5.56, ammunition in 9mm caliber tends to be more specialized, and less flexible. The old saw about proper placement is true, but it also works on .22 long-rifle guns, as well. Yet, nobody advocates their use as a primary weapon.

Mis-use of a firearm, leading to a failure, is hardly a design fault of the firearm. Nor is home gunsmithing.

The best 9mm rounds all appear to have +P and +P+ pressures and velocities. Almost like light-weight .40 S&W cartridges. There may be a reason why 1911 pistols, with their lower operating pressures, seem to last forever. Remember, until we adopted the 9mm in 1986, the last military 1911 was procured during 1945. In those days, there was a LOT more live-fire than today, with both rifles and pistols. Some of those pistols were over fifty years old by the time they were removed from National Guard service. The current Model 92 pistols are showing severe frame wear as they approach the 20 year mark. Everything can be replaced, EXCEPT the frame.

Administrator
Ace's last sentence is something to live by......with todays ammo, the difference between +P and non +P is getting to be negligible. Use the ammo you feel comfortable with, and practice putting the bullet where you aim - practice a LOT. That will cure the problem, no matter what the caliber or rating.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts