Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Endosnake is mini-cam that plugs into a USB port or your smart phone. Looks pretty interesting. Use as a borescope or to get a close up look and hard to reach places.

https://valuegearonline.com/product..._expid=.3npaMpEfQJGLPc0ze8Rqow.0&utm_referrer=

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...CD1CD363983F0060D5F2CD1CD363983F&&FORM=VDRVRV

I am in no way, not no how, nor nothing else, associated with Valuegear or Endosnake. Nor am I associate with the vids posted here. If anyone claims I am associated with anything posted in the above advertisements, I will emphatically claim I dindu nuffin. So there.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I bought one similar to that last year. I've used it a couple of times and it actually works pretty well....

·
Super Moderator
38,008 Posts
I have been intrigued with these for a while now but haven't bought one yet. When my wife was flying to China a lot I asked her to look for one on the cheap...can't recall if she found them or they were not much different in cost. Either way I still don't own one but am interested. I can see a few applications for the tool.

edit...I have seen them cheaper than 50 bucks...one would have to check specs and reviews to see where the value lies.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Yes, a good friend got one a few months ago. Not sure of the brand but looks like this. Works fine. The
90° mirror
attachment heads were kind of cheesy but
worked. We used it looking in walls.

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
I've got one of a different brand. It works well if there's enough light, the lights that are on the end of the camera are useless. I've used mine when working on vehicles to look in tight places.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
I guess this will tell you a lot about how old I am. The first thing I thought of was that it could be used for a home colonoscopy.
Harbor Freight sells the best one for that.

So I've heard

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I guess this will tell you a lot about how old I am. The first thing I thought of was that it could be used for a home colonoscopy.
My first thought was..."Not really something I want to use on myself. What is wrong with people?"

·
Registered
19,783 Posts
Got one of those for my wife (stocking stuffer) a couple years ago for just under $20, works great. I have both General and Snap-On borescopes that cost way more but this thing works just as well. Of course, being on an iphone, this will have the same movie/photo/saving capabilities that make the big boy toys so much more expensive. There are also thermal imaging apps available that I assume could be combined with this...:smile:...which'd definitely make you the coolest kid on the block.

Don't make the all too common mistake of asking yourself "do I really have a need/use for this" because you do, a bunch of 'em that you don't know about yet. I got my scopes for automotive work, well...:unsure:...that's what I thought but like the thermal imager, I use them a lot more often for other things. These are the kinds of tools/devices that once you get one, the uses literally start attacking in waves.

·
Registered
32,262 Posts
I bought a cheapy a year or so ago for under $20 to do some plumbing inspections. It will not go through a P Trap of less than 2", and also had a bunch of advertising on the app, but would otherwise work real well. Not sure what I did with it.

·
Registered
19,783 Posts
I've got one of a different brand. It works well if there's enough light, the lights that are on the end of the camera are useless. I've used mine when working on vehicles to look in tight places.
I've been using these things for about 20 years now and still have the same two problems when using them, lighting and orientation. There are times when it's hard to get enough light to see without washing-out the video, depending on where you are. Shiny, reflective surfaces can really make life miserable. Orientation is by far my biggest issue, it's hard to tell what you're lookin' at when ya' don't know which way is up. These things will turn as you fish them through places and with the magnification, it can be confusing. The hi-def can be a bit overpowering at times too and really throw you off. I was amazed, it all looked and sounded so easy. At times, it truly is but for intricate use, these things require some practice.

My first was a Blue Point monocular type, about a 3 foot, 3/16" cable, b/w, single LED. Next was a Snap-On screen style scope, pretty much same cable and cam setup as the monocular but it was color and the first with cam features. My wife got me a General pistol grip style scope several years ago which immediately became my main squeeze. Unfortunately it doesn't work in as many applications as the others due to its size but it is by far the clearest and easiest to manipulate/operate of the three. It has a stiffer 1/4" cable and therefore, the cam is bigger. It's also color and I believe it has screenshot capability, that's a feature I never use. It has two LED headlights and a slightly bigger screen than the old Snap-On. The light dimmer is a thumb wheel on the grip, super convenient compared to the Snap-On push-button setup. The pistol grip design makes it much easier to maintain or alter the cam/screen orientation, I get lost a lot less often. I'm not sure of the model but I believe the one I have was under $200, which is prob'ly around half of what the Snappy was.

These things, as self-contained units have come way down in price over the years but these phone setups are the way to go, if feasible for your uses. From my experience, cam/video quality is not at all dollar dependent and lighting is a minimal requirement. You can go cheap and still go good on with what comes up on the screen, the money mostly lies in the sturdiness of the cam/cable and digital cam features. For guns and general home use, the phone things oughta' work fine but for a tradesman/mechanic/etc, a sturdier unit would likely be advisable. I have to admit, that $20 scope I got for my wife was surprisingly stout and appeared well made. I'd caution on length selection, longer ones are usually harder to manipulate and the cable often isn't stiff enough to push it far anyway. I recommend going with the biggest diameter cam possible for you applications, it makes what you're seein' so much easier to decipher. As for lights, unless you plan on spottin' deer with, it you won't need much. These cams are pretty light sensitive and one li'l LED puts out a lot of light in a small space.

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
Hell---I thought it was a Colt Python that was owned by one of them doctors that look up various orfices for a living!!!

Attachments

·
23,203 Posts
Automotive was one of the first things I thought of for this.

·
Administrator
40,574 Posts
Well, if it doesn't already, I hope it has all the government warnings printed on it, advising not to improperly use it.:shocked:

You know someone will. Or probably has already.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I think I may pick up one of these. Not just for checking bores but also the automotive stuff. You can check you cylinders when the plugs are out. Also its just a cool thing to have.

And hey, I'm hittin' the big 6-0 in about 3 weeks so when first saw 'endosnake/endoscope' I ran for cover!!

·
Super Moderator
38,008 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I think I may pick up one of these. Not just for checking bores but also the automotive stuff. You can check you cylinders when the plugs are out. Also its just a cool thing to have.

And hey, I'm hittin' the big 6-0 in about 3 weeks so when first saw 'endosnake/endoscope' I ran for cover!!
With my history of acid reflux I'll be doing the "down periscope" as well as the "up periscope" in the next few weeks as it's been three years since the last good time. I only hope that my medical plan pays for two different 'scopes. :rolleyes:

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Who's to say you can't? And how would they know anyway?

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
With my history of acid reflux I'll be doing the "down periscope" as well as the "up periscope" in the next few weeks as it's been three years since the last good time. I only hope that my medical plan pays for two different 'scopes. :rolleyes:
I had an upper/lower endoscopy last month. Both done on the same day. All looked OK ‘cept for a few diverticula. God bless propafol!

As a former scope pilot I can tell you that it ain’t easy learning to drive one of those things! One hand feeding the scope and the other hand on the controls.

Reactions: Czechbikr
1 - 20 of 21 Posts