Taurus Firearm Forum banner

The DHS Is Buying 450 Million New Bullets

4K views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  dbeardslee 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Recently, I was visiting my LGS, and they had a shelf full of Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement .40 S&W hollowpoint ammo (50 round boxes) for $15.00 per box!

I bought four boxes, and the ammo cycles like a dream through my PT740 Slim.

The owner told me that they had picked up a great deal on this ammo, and that it was the same ammo that was previously used by Homeland Security officers.

#5 ·
Maybe they are trying to catch up to my cache? :D

#7 ·
It seems the .gov does this every few years or so. (I think) I recall an explanation a few years ago when it happened the last time, that when you split that ammo for carry and practice between all the agents and other people who need it, they each ended up getting something silly like 15-20 mags worth of ammo.

Like I said, this is all going off very fuzzy memory so I could be completely wrong, I'll see if I can dig up some links today depending on free time. It's also specially contracted, so it's not pulling it off the shelves at our stores, granted it may eat up a production line or three until that order's filled.

If that's true, if I only got 15 mags a year I'd cry...that's not even a good Saturday afternoon, let alone the rest of the weekend<g>

#10 ·
I assume .40 is caliber of chose today

#11 ·
There is already another thread addressing this. The bid is for a MAXIMUM of 450 million rounds, over a period of FIVE years. That will include Border Patrol, ICE, the Coast Guard, possibly DEA, and assorted DHS uniform services. Standard procedure for a large bid. The manufacturer always trumpets the maximum bid, although it rarely makes it.

As many LEO departments now mandate practice ammo be the same as duty ammo, you can eat up a lot in short order. This locks in the price for five years. I imagine that they are like many other large bidders, and that they will allow other agencies to piggy-back off of their bid, as well.

Move along, no nefarious activities here. Adjust your tin hats on the way out, please. :)

#20 ·
450 million, yes that's the max allowable for the contract! This is very common in government purchasing. Once in place all kinds of other agencies coat-tail on to the contract. This happens on the local, state and fed level. Very common.

OR..... (putting my tin foil hat on now) it is to arm the new Civilian National Security Force that is ("just as strong, Just as powerful and Just well funded"). (he is comparing it to the US military). They get hundreds of billions of dollars???? Is that what he is going to spend for this and could this be part of it???? Obviously the CNSF would be under the DHLS budget and control. See video:

Obama Civilian Security - YouTube

#21 ·
Civilian National Security Force - not that is just TOTALLY scary!! And no doubt it will report directly to the president via DHS. What were they called in Germany?? Gestapo?? I'm tellin' ya, that guy is out to totally destroy the US. (Where was he born?)

Reactions: drummin_man627
#24 ·
Hey guys, relax! All you have to do is come to Texas, where we will give you enough food and the proper minimum requirement for beer that the inches of body fat will soar to new levels you never knew possible. The Department of Homeland Security will have to expend 6.972 times the normal amount of ammo to put you in a succumbing mode with your new improved body fat. All folks everywhere who live within 10 miles of a McDonald's should be safe with their enhanced body fat. I also have a feeling that any fat, none working, Al Quida loving Liberal will be safe anyway!

Reactions: Denton
#25 ·
Hey guys, relax! All you have to do is come to Texas, where we will give you enough food and the proper minimum requirement for beer that the inches of body fat will soar to new levels you never knew possible. The Department of Homeland Security will have to expend 6.972 times the normal amount of ammo to put you in a succumbing mode with your new improved body fat. All folks everywhere who live within 10 miles of a McDonald's should be safe with their enhanced body fat. I also have a feeling that any fat, none working, Al Quida loving Liberal will be safe anyway!
So I've got "McBodyArmour"?? SWEET!! Yes, I did mean to spell it like Armour Hams. :D

#30 ·
Or theory number two - Obama whips up populace. racebaiters cause riots. Obama declares marshal law and subsequently finds out the military doesn't like him a whole lot. The generals put down the revolt, execute the conspirators, and return civilian control of the government. Problem solved. (Got my fingers crossed for that one.)

#35 ·
Thanks for your valuable input!! If all the rest of us spent all are time korrecting grammer and speling, we couldnt enjoy the konspirizee thoerys. :D

Reactions: dbeardslee
#39 ·
Why is it that the Dept. of Agriculture needing so much ammunition?
Self defense man! I mean, c'mon, everyone's heard of Mad Cow Disease<g>

(Not to be confused with Mad Kaw Disease)

Reactions: Denton
#41 ·
Some years back I had to make an off DZ landing with a tandem student, and the best out I could find was a cow pasture. Now the cows were all over by the barn, and there was a fence keeping them out of the pasture. They all came over to the fence and watched us land, and I'm just glad the fence was there - they were clearly up to something. Nope. I don't trust them damn cows - chickens either. They know the TRUTH in South Park...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.