Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Not to worry. I'm sure they're just buying them so they can 'trace' them to mexican drug cartels. After all, BATF already sent them the guns - not much good without the ammo to go with them, are they? Your stimulus dollars at work...

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Recently, I was visiting my LGS, and they had a shelf full of Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement .40 S&W hollowpoint ammo (50 round boxes) for $15.00 per box!

I bought four boxes, and the ammo cycles like a dream through my PT740 Slim.

The owner told me that they had picked up a great deal on this ammo, and that it was the same ammo that was previously used by Homeland Security officers.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Maybe they are trying to catch up to my cache? :D

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Or maybe they're buying them to keep them out of the hands of law abiding citizens. These creeps will do anything to circumvent the 2nd amendment.
Would not surprise me!

·
10,379 Posts
It seems the .gov does this every few years or so. (I think) I recall an explanation a few years ago when it happened the last time, that when you split that ammo for carry and practice between all the agents and other people who need it, they each ended up getting something silly like 15-20 mags worth of ammo.

Like I said, this is all going off very fuzzy memory so I could be completely wrong, I'll see if I can dig up some links today depending on free time. It's also specially contracted, so it's not pulling it off the shelves at our stores, granted it may eat up a production line or three until that order's filled.

If that's true, if I only got 15 mags a year I'd cry...that's not even a good Saturday afternoon, let alone the rest of the weekend<g>

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I just hope they leave a few for me.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I assume .40 is caliber of chose today

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
There is already another thread addressing this. The bid is for a MAXIMUM of 450 million rounds, over a period of FIVE years. That will include Border Patrol, ICE, the Coast Guard, possibly DEA, and assorted DHS uniform services. Standard procedure for a large bid. The manufacturer always trumpets the maximum bid, although it rarely makes it.

As many LEO departments now mandate practice ammo be the same as duty ammo, you can eat up a lot in short order. This locks in the price for five years. I imagine that they are like many other large bidders, and that they will allow other agencies to piggy-back off of their bid, as well.

Move along, no nefarious activities here. Adjust your tin hats on the way out, please. :)

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
There is already another thread addressing this. The bid is for a MAXIMUM of 450 million rounds, over a period of FIVE years. That will include Border Patrol, ICE, the Coast Guard, possibly DEA, and assorted DHS uniform services. Standard procedure for a large bid. The manufacturer always trumpets the maximum bid, although it rarely makes it.

As many LEO departments now mandate practice ammo be the same as duty ammo, you can eat up a lot in short order. This locks in the price for five years. I imagine that they are like many other large bidders, and that they will allow other agencies to piggy-back off of their bid, as well.

Move along, no nefarious activities here. Adjust your tin hats on the way out, please. :)
So you're saying we're being paranoid? You're probably right. I just don't like DHS at all, so I'm liable to jump on this kind of thing without thinking it through. I'm still gonna mumble to myself though. :D

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
What do they need ammo for? :???: We need to buy 450 million 'Welcome' mats and line the border with them.......would make a lot more sense.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We have to buy our ammo, "they" get theirs for free. At our expence!!! We all need to remember this guys........

IMO.

·
Registered
848 Posts

Sure. Why shouldn't they use the expensive stuff to practice. They don't care, because they're not paying for it. We are.

So you're saying we're being paranoid? You're probably right. I just don't like DHS at all, so I'm liable to jump on this kind of thing without thinking it through. I'm still gonna mumble to myself though. :D
Me neither. I've always had a problem with that Homeland Security thing. Kind of reminds me of Nazi Germany with that whole Fatherland thing. Or was it Motherland? Anyway I can't remember which ,but I still don't like it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Whew!! Glad I'm using 9mm! :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
450 million, yes that's the max allowable for the contract! This is very common in government purchasing. Once in place all kinds of other agencies coat-tail on to the contract. This happens on the local, state and fed level. Very common.

OR..... (putting my tin foil hat on now) it is to arm the new Civilian National Security Force that is ("just as strong, Just as powerful and Just well funded"). (he is comparing it to the US military). They get hundreds of billions of dollars???? Is that what he is going to spend for this and could this be part of it???? Obviously the CNSF would be under the DHLS budget and control. See video:

Obama Civilian Security - YouTube

1 - 20 of 41 Posts