Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is...

Aussie tourist's bungee cord snaps - she survives.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yikes!!! There's a girl who should buy an extra lottery ticket.

·
Registered
591 Posts
no not sick a born survivor- shes one lucky lady, i saw it on the news, she made it through freefall and hitting the water and got out two

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no not sick a born survivor- shes one lucky lady, i saw it on the news, she made it through freefall and hitting the water and got out two
Depends on what he meant by 'sick.' The slang definition means awesome or cool, which I agree with. I think it's very cool when someone cheats the grim reaper.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Did you hear the guy on the top of the platform? "Oh Sh*t!" I agree with him, to say the least!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wasn't watching with sound. Did they say how far from the water she was when it snapped? It t really isn't a free fall from the bridge, since the cord would have taken up a lot of the momentum she had.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
She indeed has some purpose she has yet fulfill. I'd say the definition of luck is mis-attributed providence.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't watching with sound. Did they say how far from the water she was when it snapped? It t really isn't a free fall from the bridge, since the cord would have taken up a lot of the momentum she had.
Agreed. Looked to me like the bungee had stopped or even reversed her fall when it snapped. From the time the bungee snapped to the time she hit the water was about a second and a half. She would have fallen 60 feet in the first second, and another 60 feet in the next half second which would have put her at 120 feet. She may not have been that high, though. She might have been 'lofted' a bit by the bungee and hung in the air for a fraction of a second before she actually started falling. If it was that high then she's really, really lucky.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She indeed has some purpose she has yet fulfill. I'd say the definition of luck is mis-attributed providence.
Yeah. I actually don't believe in luck - I think it's all providence. I prefer to regard stuff like this as fortunate as opposed to lucky. Luck just made for a better title. :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Agreed. Looked to me like the bungee had stopped or even reversed her fall when it snapped. From the time the bungee snapped to the time she hit the water was about a second and a half. She would have fallen 60 feet in the first second, and another 60 feet in the next half second which would have put her at 120 feet. She may not have been that high, though. She might have been 'lofted' a bit by the bungee and hung in the air for a fraction of a second before she actually started falling. If it was that high then she's really, really lucky.
That bungee had to be pretty well stretched as the top end of it beat her to the water. She was slowed quite a bit I think. Which is what probably save her.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Depends on what he meant by 'sick.' The slang definition means awesome or cool, which I agree with. I think it's very cool when someone cheats the grim reaper.
Ok i see sick means cool, bit like our apples and pairs for stairs

no offence meant anyway

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You know there are those people that love excitement, I always knew I was way to fat to trust any kind of bungee cord. She better be thanking God for sparing her life.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I saw a news clip where the bungee snapped and watched a human plummet into what the newscaster said were: "shark-infested waters"; but I was on my way out the door and didn't catch the rest of it.

Thanks for posting the link to the story.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Riding my motorcycle is the most "extreme sport" that I will ever engage in...
Which statistically is probably a lot more dangerous. I'm not sure I'd call bungee jumping a sport, though. More like what happens when you triple-dog-dare somebody. :D That being said, you won't catch me doing it either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts