Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived at the FFL two days after shipping out of KY via USPS. he texted me to say it got there and I texted back the time I would be over and asked him how it looked. He only responded with acknowledgement that the time was good. This left me more apprehensive than I already was since the photo of the "Good" graded pistol had shown some pitted and rusted areas on the slide.

Well it follows that if one's expectations are lower and the result is better that it's a happy occurrence. Some heavy holster wear on the bluing and overall grunge, but I am pleased with the gun and the price paid. Unsure yet if I'll try and make it prettier than it is or leave the character marks on it. The magazines look relatively unused and for 22 bucks was a pretty good deal. I've a hunch that once I shoot it I'll wish I had gotten two more to ride free with the package.

Pulled the grips and cleaned it as well as a field strip can accomplish, touched up the sight indents with some white paint and oiled it up for it's first run. Planning on tomorrow. The trigger is the usual sweet CZ machine and I am looking forward to a range trip.

Here it is, pre-cleaning:

IMG_20190124_201133002.jpg

IMG_20190124_201102984.jpg

IMG_20190124_201111062.jpg

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Looks nice from what I can see. I think it has nice character marks, nothing annoying. Let us know how it shoots. Congrats!!!

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Agree. That’s a beaut, no doubt.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Classic, proven firearm. Everybody should shoot one to see its worth having. Nice score.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I had an 82 a few years ago. Sweet pistol. Great grip. Incredible trigger. Finish was a little rough.

Had something else come along so I traded it off.

Apparently they are one of the more complicated pistols to detail strip. I was going to cerakote mine until
I researched taking mine apart.

Beautiful gun. Hope you enjoy it.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Super Moderator
37,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had an 82 a few years ago. Sweet pistol. Great grip. Incredible trigger. Finish was a little rough.

Apparently they are one of the more complicated pistols to detail strip. I was going to cerakote mine until

All the Best,
D. White
That's about where I am at with it right now. I began thinking that I would try my hand at a Cerakote or similar type coating when I thought it was going to be much rougher and that I'd have to use emery cloth to remove pitting. Then I read some accounts of disassembly and reassembly and reconsidered. The slide looks like it might be easier to do and it it looks like recoating it might improve the overall gun, I may do something there. The internals like the underside of the slide look fine. I think that like most surplus guns it was carried a lot and shot much less.

Reactions: kmw1954 and jwc007

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You got a keeper. I'm one that doesn't mind if there are character marks!

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
GEEEEZZZ!
whats with you guys buying all these furren off brand guns????
need to get yursef some of dem Smiff and Westerns!

Reactions: brojohn

·
Registered
969 Posts
Looks good like it is but I wouldn't be opposed to refinishing either. Call it a push! Now for the big question: what do you have in mind for handloads?;)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I tore mine apart to glass blast the chipped up paint off. I still haven't decided how I want to refinish it. I've even thought about nitriting the slide and frame.

Maloy

All the Best,
D. White

·
Super Moderator
37,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks good like it is but I wouldn't be opposed to refinishing either. Call it a push! Now for the big question: what do you have in mind for handloads?;)
It's been so long since I loaded the ones in stock, but I am pretty sure it was something like 3.5 grains of HP 38 pushing those 100 grain Xtreme plated pills. I also had a supply of 500 of the 95 Grain Missouri Bullets hard cast ..."For Secret Agents" and will send some of those downrange today also.

Missouri Bullet Company

Reactions: 57K

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
Congrats on your new to you slide gun.

·
Administrator
18,183 Posts
Nice Cz83! :cool: :smile: Congratulations and may it serve you well! :smile:

The Cz83 would be one Pistol on my wants list, should I ever return to regular use of the .380 ACP.

In case you are at all interested, we have a sub-forum over at czfirearms.us for the Cz82/Cz83 platform: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?board=25.0

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
You have added a nice gun to your pile! I have one and while I don't shoot it often when I have in the past it has always run without a hitch and my wife enjoys it more then her Cheetah. Good luck with it and shoot safe!

Don

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
I have pined for a CZ82 surplus gun, but never ran into one. If I ever do, it'll probably come home with me. :D I've been carrying my Radom P64 today, far less firepower, but light and compact. :D I rarely carry it, but got in the mood talking about it on another thread. :rofl:

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Now we will deffenately need to get together to have a 380 pistol shoot off. I'll bring the Witness (which you have shot already) and the Shield EZ.

Nice looking Pistola BTW!

·
Super Moderator
37,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got out to the range in -2 F weather with a light and slippery snow to reward my drive home.

First the good news...at 25 feet the first target shows the 100 grain PRN rounds aimed at the center mark. The 2nd target shows the 95 grain LRN aimed at the bottom right target. The gun is a lot snappier than I thought it would be given the mass and the round. It is reminiscent of the TCP even though that's a much lighter pistol.

CZ target 1.jpg

CZ target 2.jpg

1 - 20 of 38 Posts