Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...so i was getting ammo from academy and was looking for the winchester white box and they were out, so i saw another winchester that says NATO and shot them through my new 809...there is always debate about ammo but i was wondering if i should not shoot these bacause what i got from it is the nato is the same as +p...i know its ok to shoot but i dont want to age my gun...

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
As a rule you should have no problem shooting this round in your 809. However, as the Nato round is a little hotter, you may wish to finish that box, or even save it for self defense, and use a more standard pressure for regular shooting. Your choice.

By the way, I checked the SAAMI website (The The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute), and this is their recommendation for shooting the Nato load in 9mms:

CENTERFIRE PISTOL & REVOLVER
In Firearms Chambered For 9mm Luger (Parabellum)

Do Not Use These Cartridges
9mm NATO (Military)
40 Smith & Wesson
9x18 Makarov

Not shooting the 9x18 and the .40 S&W should be common sense, but please note the recommendation they give on the 9x19 Nato....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help...i will keep them for sd and go back to academy and get the regular white box...i have been doing my own research on all this but it gets fuzzy at times...always good to have help!!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Winchester 9mm NATO in the white box (product code Q431eight) is loaded to approximately 10% higher pressures than a standard 9x19 round. This makes it no more than a 9mm+P.

I suggest calling Olin Corp. (Winchester) at 618-258-2000 to verify my statement above.

·
Registered
703 Posts
derrickplee: If WWB is cheaper at Walmart, and you prefer shopping at Academy, try to get Academy to price match. That's what my local store promises.

·
Registered
518 Posts
As a rule, I shy away from the +P rounds except for a few I keep in a spare mag. Never use on a range.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
I keep +p rounds around because I have both a M85 39 and a S&W 686 so I can shoot them out of both. However I use just regular 38 target loads in the small revolver for target practice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts