Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here had attended one of these rifle training courses? They look interesting and are inexpensive to boot. I think the parent organization is the Revolutionary War Veterans Association.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Steelheart

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would very much like to go to one. I'm signing up for the one in N.C.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got ammo on order and am thinking about the session in Iowa as its only 4 hours away. Everything else is several hundred miles or more. I don't want to think what the fuel would cost me with my Jeep for one of those.

For me I'm hoping it'll be a needed refresher for BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) from Basic (Army '99). Regardless I think it'll be fun.

If I can get some sights that I like I'll be bringing my 10/22 as a back-up rifle. I got a rough 25yd zero friday with my AR. Come January when all the hunting seasons are done I'll be trying to get a better zero done but what I have will work if need be. Also confirmed that the non-GI mags I got are not reliable. Glad I only got a couple, got many more new GI mags.

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to dredge up this thread to see if anyone else made it to one of the April 19th and 20th shoots this past weekend? There were 14 nation wide.

I was at the one in Searsboro Iowa and had a blast. Once I find more time I'll be posting an AAR.

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The course was $70 plus range fees which at the Big Springs Range Complex in Searsboro Iowa were $5 per day. If you just showed up instead of registering in advance it was $80 plus range fees.

Short answer is I was doing fine on the simulated 400 yard targets but needed more work on the other distances due to time and position constraints.

I'm going to be working on a full AAR/review that I will add here.

For those of us in the upper Midwest, the next scheduled shoots are May in Wis. and June in Iowa. I recommend going and I will be going again. I just have to find time.

Steelheart

·
Registered
299 Posts
I planned to make it to Searsboro, but my travel agent (dispatcher) had me on a circuitous route from Texas back to Iowa. AND!!! with all these members in Texas, not one of you offered to take me shooting! Oh, well, I was kinda busy.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I like their ideas. I'd like to go, but they have none close enough for me to consider. I think the Jackson, MS would be closer at 4-5 hours than the only TX site they have.

One day maybe ..

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I never did find time to write up an AAR. Time is a luxury anymore.

I will add that the 2009 Schedule has begun. As they add more locations and dates they will be added to the list.

If you're worried about how everything is looking, learning to shoot better is something that might help.

Steelheart

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm trying to find one that's halfway close to me. I went to Searsboro in 2008, but it looks like it might be Oxford Kansas this year. It's well worth my $70 and 5 hours of driving (one way). In one weekend I went from having trouble putting holes in paper to an average score of 170 on the qualification test.
Now, if only they had a handgun program as well...

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got this in an email and wanted to share it with anyone who's interested. I won't be able to listen in live as I'll be at work. Hopefully it's downloadable...
Steelheart

The Rifleman Radio Show

Hello Folks,

I would like to invite everyone to join me on air for The Rifleman Radio Show, this Tuesday evening at 7:00PM Central time. Appleseed Radio helps us to get information about the program directly to or listeners and answer calls online from folks who have questions about the program.

You can listen from the address below and the page will also give you the call in number. Be sure and register for a BlogTalk account, it only takes a few minutes, and you can then participate in the Appleseed Radio chat during the show, plus yo can rae the show which will help us get out to more listeners.

If you do not want to receive any notices about the upcoming Appleseed Radio Broadcasts, just email me at [email protected] and I will remove your name from the pre show emails.

I hope you will take the time to listen in this Tuesday evening at 7:00PM central time and let us know how the show is doing, what we can do to make it better and anything you would like to hear on the broadcasts and we will try to accomodate your requests.

Thanks to everyone involved in making The Appleseed Project a success. Scout

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/AppleseedRadio

·
Registered
279 Posts
If I'd have known about it sooner... :p

Ames, Ia is the cool Appleseed for people to go to this April 18 & 19. Be there or be square. Or communist.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to make it to one this spring with the way work's looking. It's tough even finding time to make it out myself let alone make it to a class. I'll have to see what's going on this summer and fall.

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nishnabotna said:
I take it that was your score? That should mean there's a frying pan available right?

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll translate for others who are reading this thread.

Nishnabotna scored 218 on an AQT at a recent Appleseed shoot, making him a Rifleman. This has been compared to scoring Expert in the military with a rifle. The AQT is based on the old Army Qualification Test from when the Springfield and Garand were used.

There is a saying that if you aren't a Rifleman you are a Cook, hence the frying pan and mess hall comments.

Nishnabotna, I'd put that in my Signature if I was you, just for the bragging rights with those who know.

Steelheart

1 - 20 of 51 Posts