Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Answer from Tucker Gunleather for my PT1911 arrived in the mail yesterday. I'll give a better report once I've worn it for more than my drive to work (and then had to leave it locked up in the car, blasted!).

I can tell you though that from my initial inspection that it is very well made and the 1911 fits perfectly. the leather backing covers every bit that might come in contact with my body, except some of the grip. There's plenty of adjustment available although they warn you up front that the gun will be loose in the holster if you just stick it in there to look at. Being an IWB holster, it's meant to be worn, well, INSIDE the waistband, of course, where it's nice and snug but not so tight you have to wrestle with yourself to draw it. Mine has the leather lining inside the kydex.

A word about customer service. I initially ordered it because Tucker's website showed that they had a LH, lined Answer for a 5" 1911 in stock and available to ship immediately. Being fond of instant gratification, that worked great! Unfortunately Rob Longenecker, the man running the show couldn't find it anywhere, so he special ordered one for me from Tucker to make, with a two week turn around. Fair enough because it usually takes several weeks if you order something that's not in stock. Well, Murphy bit us again, because as Rob was packing it up to ship, realized that it was for a Righty. He contacted me immediately, told me of the error and told me that Tucker was dropping everything to build mine and ship it in three days. Some might say this is a problem, but I've come to realize that stuff happens sometimes, and to me, the real measure of customer service is how they react after that. Rob went out of his way and Tucker made extra effort to get my Answer to me as quickly as possible. That's top notch service in my book.

The only problem area I noticed is not with the holster, but with the PT1911SS itself. The edges at the front of the slide are so sharp that they scrape into the leather badly if I don't holster it straight in, and since it's halfway around my back, I haven't gotten the right angle. Also, since the end of the barrel is exposed to the inside of my pants, I can see that sharp edge wearing it's way through in short order. So I guess the best thing to do is get those edges rounded off a bit. I'll put a question up on the gunsmithing forum to ask if that's a DYI job or best left to a smith.

Anyway, a full report will be added to this (with pictures) in a few days.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Congrats on that new Tucker. I have been looking at them and going to get one of their OWB.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the kind words about the Answer.
The sharp edges won't really damage the leather but your clothes could be another matter.
Hi to the Taurusarmed forum!
Rob

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to give a little additional feedback on the Answer. I've been wearing it for a few days and it's as comfortable as I can imagine any IWB holster being while holding up that much weight. I adjusted the back clip to the middle hole so that the grip cants a little more forward and now fits my physique very well. I think it would be a bit more comfortable if I used an 1.5 inch gun belt instead of the 1.25 belt I now have (replacement clips are just a phone call to Rob away).

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the Answer. Looking forward to wearing it a bunch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts