Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
This guy needs to look up the definition of "attribution error", as well as "causality" versus "correlation". Then, he should pick up a basic book on (micro)economics and read it, particularly the section on short-term supply and demand. After that, I hope he chooses to carefully discard his tinfoil hat as quickly as possible.

The fact is that current demand has risen above the typical market equilibrium for price and quantity. The result is that current demand in the market has exceeded outstripped the short-term ability of manufacturers to supply it, leading to an increase prices. If the panic subsides and demand returns to "normal" levels, then the prices and availability will also return to the equilibrium. If the demand, instead, settles at a new, higher level then, in the long-run, manufacturers will expand their capacity to meet the new demand, thereby establishing a new market equilibrium price and quantity.

That's just how the market works and no amount of conspiracy theorizing, finger pointing, or YouTube videos is going to change that. ;)

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
Well I have an opinion that with all this crazy sales of firearms and ammuntion,as well as a a lot of other Black Gadgets to go along with them that in short time its all going to become available.
There is just not that many people that are going to keep the firearms, most are laying in drawers and closets at homes after being fired once or twice now.
Once that these people see prices falling back to original levels they are going to panic sale and try to get some of that 4,000 bucks they paid for the old Ar-15 before it drops to 750 bucks again.
with that you will see bunches of ammo available as well.
thats what use Baracudas wait for!-Giggle.
ahh yes fresh blood in the water!!!
ammo is the same, most are not going to sit and watch that 2000 rounds of 9mm ammo to collect dust as it drops back to 12.99 per box at Wally World.
We already se ethe Gun Ban begining to take a change in course, with time it will all blow over and people will say"What was I thinking"?
Remember Y2K?

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Well I have an opinion that with all this crazy sales of firearms and ammuntion,as well as a a lot of other Black Gadgets to go along with them that in short time its all going to become available.
There is just not that many people that are going to keep the firearms, most are laying in drawers and closets at homes after being fired once or twice now.
Once that these people see prices falling back to original levels they are going to panic sale and try to get some of that 4,000 bucks they paid for the old Ar-15 before it drops to 750 bucks again.
ammo is the same, most are not going to sit and watch that 2000 rounds of 9mm ammo to collect dust as it drops back to 12.99 per box at Wally World.
We already se ethe Gun Ban begining to take a change in course, with time it will all blow over and people will say"What was I thinking"?
Remember Y2K?
I truthfully hope you are correct.....cause then I will try to expand my collection! :D:guns:

·
Banned
5,005 Posts
Remember Y2K?
I think that there's a lot of people increasing their debt to buy black rifles, expecting that the credit card bill "might not matter" if an economic crisis comes to pass, the Zombie Apocalypse happens, or an asteroid hits NYC, or aliens invade or whatever bizarre reason for paranoid prepper behavior that drives stuff like this.

When those balances rise towards limits and the end of the world does not come to pass, then a lot of dumbasses are going to be left holding the bag, what with their $3700 LWC and their 9,000 rounds of Winchester White Box.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I know of a few people who took out new credit cards and maxed the out on guns. Stupid...just stupid.

Yeah I've spent probably $2k on guns and ammo since janurary, but I've also picked up an extra 12 hour shift a week (8 hours overtime) to compensate. Other than $8k in student loans and two car payments (which I'm over a year ahead on), I don't have debt. Although I did open a credit card at the local gun shop that can only be used there, got it since it was 0% interest for six months on all purchases $250+. Well worth it IMO as it won't hurt my credit (thanks mom & dad for teaching me great credit practices). Makes the sting of a new big safe a little less (still hurts though!).

When cabelas opened near me people took the day off from work to go. I heard this more than once.

"I took off work to come here today. I hope I can find xxx caliber ammo....I only want two boxes because that's all I can afford"

So you took off work....to buy $50 worth of ammo.....you can't afford? Did I miss the moron convention posting?

·
Registered
38,432 Posts
I attribute it to the what i call : Need Bread and Milk on steroids" approach.
everytime we (Atlanta) have a snowflake everyone panic buys and you can't find a damn loaf of bread or a gallon of milk in any grocery store!
then a week later they are throwing away sour milk and stale bread!-Giggle.
course trying to be like a Boy Scout and being halfway prepared before stuff like this hits the fan makes one able to look from a different perch as well.
I buy a gun here and there occasionally (Shut up Millpro!) but never at those crazy prices, looking for a good deal instead or I sit tight.

·
Super Moderator
27,405 Posts
everytime we (Atlanta) have a snowflake everyone panic buys and you can't find a damn loaf of bread or a gallon of milk in any grocery store!
course trying to be like a Boy Scout and being halfway prepared before stuff like this hits the fan makes one able to look from a different perch as well.
I buy a gun here and there occasionally (Shut up Millpro!) but never at those crazy prices, looking for a good deal instead or I sit tight.
OK, yeah. Right. Whatever.....did the Boy Scouts teach you about crossing your fingers behind your back before you speak? Or did you go to BSU?

·
Registered
25,059 Posts
Not only does this guy need to put tin foil on his head but he needs to watch out for the black helicopters

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
What I think is humorous is when you see ads for a $1400 palmetto state upper on a New Frontier lower and the guy saying, I am not trying to gouge, but I need to get what I payed for it. I have spent a bunch on ammo and starting to acquire reloading components lately. I was fortunate to get my AR in November and my wife's M&P 15-22 in October at normal prices. But everything I have gotten is payed for and I refuse to pay outrageous prices for anything else I might decide I "need". I can't wait for the NIB ads to start flooding in where some are back to normal prices and some are still inflated.

BTW, I picked up 2000 small pistol primers at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday for $32/1000.

·
Registered
30 Posts
BTW, I picked up 2000 small pistol primers at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday for $32/1000.

Grrrr. Everyone selling for 75/1000. I did pick up 1000 for 45.. Thought it was still hyway ... But yes i I paid for it.. So im guilty

·
Registered
223 Posts

Grrrr. Everyone selling for 75/1000. I did pick up 1000 for 45.. Thought it was still hyway ... But yes i I paid for it.. So im guilty
Don't feel bad. I paid the inflated price of $30/500 rounds 22lr. Actually....I'm content paying that as a normal.price. no higher. I shouldn't be but that's a lot of fun for $30!

Ill be waiting for the "I remember when a brick of 22 was the same as a 12 pack of beer!"...

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
Eeee-yup. That pretty much says it!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
This guy needs to look up the definition of "attribution error", as well as "causality" versus "correlation". Then, he should pick up a basic book on (micro)economics and read it, particularly the section on short-term supply and demand. After that, I hope he chooses to carefully discard his tinfoil hat as quickly as possible.

The fact is that current demand has risen above the typical market equilibrium for price and quantity. The result is that current demand in the market has exceeded outstripped the short-term ability of manufacturers to supply it, leading to an increase prices. If the panic subsides and demand returns to "normal" levels, then the prices and availability will also return to the equilibrium. If the demand, instead, settles at a new, higher level then, in the long-run, manufacturers will expand their capacity to meet the new demand, thereby establishing a new market equilibrium price and quantity.

That's just how the market works and no amount of conspiracy theorizing, finger pointing, or YouTube videos is going to change that. ;)
An educated man.

Please stop making reasonable points about things that people arbitrarily panic over when they can be explained by common sense. We like to point out that there are soooooo many background checks for new permits/purchases and complain that there are no guns on the shelves but refuse to correlate that with ammo supply.

Reactions: parad0x177
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.