Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not going to pose any question as to your count in your ammo larder. I do have questions about how you feel about the ammo you have in your larder.

About 7 years ago, I started thinking it was time to start building my ammo larder and bought any what I could see were bargains. I've thinned down the bargain stuff I bought that didn't meet my expectations.

I'm to the point of trying to decide if I need to revise my thing in my .223 and 7.62 x 39 ammo.

All but 500 rounds of my .223 is steel, mostly Wolf/Tula or some other Commie Block Ammo and so I've thought about getting only brass for the .223 in the future. Mostly because I'll probably trade my Saiga for an AR. Still, I wish I'd bought four more Saigas when they were $299. Probably just keep it though in case a stray friend who is a good shot happens by during TSHTF.

It is pretty obvious unless I owned a Ruger Mini .30, I would probably have an AK or SKS and I don't think I'd gain much switching to brass cased ammo. The American 7.62 x 39 gets pricey, so I'll probably stay with the Rusky Stuff.

I do have several tiers in my ammo larder, being the ammo I'd shoot until it ran out, then go to the next tier, then the next and in some of my tiers, I may have 40 year old reloads which are hollow-points for .38 Special. If they were fmj or lead, I would have shot them a long time ago. In my most normal final tier, I would be shooting range ammo, best I remember, that was pretty much what set down a lot of Japaneese and Germans on their butts in a couple of World Wars, .45 acp FMJ

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
62 Posts
After a time of owning both semi's and revolvers, and getting the different "Ya's gotta have this" ammo over time, I have been examining my larder, as well. The fodder for my semi's are going to come down to same weight target/SD, same mfgr. The fodder for my revolvers will be expended and replaced with a single load that will be for all purposes, non HP.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
If TSHTF marauding bands are not going to care what you shoot them with, there will be easier pickins elsewhere. I do try to stockpile mostly softpoints just because they work better for hunting. I shoot a lot of Silver Bear .223 sp's in my AR's, the zinc plating does not cook to the chamber like the polymer coated stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts