Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically the one thing I can't overcome on the 92 platform is the wide grips. My smallish hands just can't "handle" it. I bought a pair of Hogue G10 grips, which are very nice. But not thin enough for me. I can't even tell the difference over stock grips.
I called around to several grip makers, looking for the thinnest grips available. Unfortunately, for the Taurus, I was out of luck.
So I decided to buy a pair of thin grips from Lok Grips. These are made for our Beretta counterparts. I have a pair on my Beretta 92s and I love them. They were $67 plus shipping. This particular set, with a $10 discount were, I believe $61 shipped.

I had plenty of mods to make. I had to - Drill a new upper screw hole on the left side.
Cut down the height of the left side grip
Cut out the top rear of both grips to accommodate the safety/decocker
Test fit, file, repeat several times.
Here's pics of the grips from the Lok website (I didn't take pics of the grips before I hacked them up), and the Hogue and Lok Grips side by side for comparison

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This is the final result. The right side looks fine. I didn't need to do a whole lot to it. The left side, however, needed much work. And the end result is a butcher job. It's basically because I rushed instead of taking my time. And also, I didn't get the new screw hole drilled correctly. It was slightly off. So I had to elongate it. The work around the safety/decocker is pretty sloppy. I should have slowed down and test fit more often.
Overall, though, they're installed and they function 100%. There's a much better purchase on the pistol. And I'm much more comfortable holding on to it.
I will go back and clean up some of my work. That left top screw sticks out and that bothers me. It doesn't interfere with my grip, though. And that little "tail" on the top, rear of the left grip will probably come off. And I need to fill in the original screw hole with something.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Function tops appearance, every time.

Flash

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I assume you looked at aluminum grips? I mean I'm not even sure they have them for the 92 but I believe they do.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assume you looked at aluminum grips? I mean I'm not even sure they have them for the 92 but I believe they do.
I contacted several grip makers. A rep from Hogue emailed me and said their G10 and aluminum grips are thinner than stock. I bought their G10's. But they felt just as thick to me. If they're thinner, it can't be by much.
I bought and modified the Loks because I have them on my Beretta. I knew they were as thin as I wanted. And it's always fun to tinker with stuff.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
I have a few sets of Aluminum grips and they are for sure thinner than my Laminated, real wood, rubber or G-10 grips for the same weapon.
they also be expensive!!!!

Reactions: TonyC2639

·
Registered
150 Posts
I thinned a pair of stock Taurus wood grips. Instead of thinning the whole thing, I contoured all of it better but only significantly thinned the areas where my index finger and thumb wrap around. It worked really well, and cost $15.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts