Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Outdoor Channels "Wednesday Night at the Range" has been hyping the 6.5 cartridge lately. Last week it was the Grendel, the week before it was the Creedmoor.
Today while waiting to get a haircut I pick up a Sports Afield or Field and Stream or some such. An article on the Creedmoor said it is "the perfect bullet" (later referred to as cartridge).

It may be a dandy round but I have a theory. I think its salesmanship. Every large game hunter has a rifle, the market is saturated with centerfire cartridges. The powers that be are creating a need for the "perfect bullet". They're trying to convince me my 30-30 and .280 Rem are obsolete.

I'll wait to see if my stuff is really obsolete.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
The 6.5 Creedmore is an excellent long-range cartridge: a combination of superb ballistics and low recoil makes this an ideal choice for the sport. The 6.5 bullet is outstanding ballistically and very stable in flight. The 6mm - 7mm range of bullets seem to be a sweet spot ballistically at certain velocities. Many may argue otherwise but the Creedmore round sits in an enviable position of a "wildcat that caught on". It doesn't make your favorite cartridge obsolete; it's just the new kid on the block. If you are into the long-range shooting sport, this is the go-to cartridge. Someday, it fall out of favor, but right now, it is sitting mighty pretty! :D

·
Registered
15,232 Posts
With as many centerfire options that we have, people and companies are working to come up with intermediate and even larger cartridge calibers to compete with the demand for higher precision and higher power rounds. The biggest driving factor today is whether the rounds can be chambered in an AR-15 or an AR-10. The Grendel works "well" in the AR-15 platform and the 6.5 Creedmoor works "well" in the AR-10. This doesn't negate the venerable rounds like the 270 rem, the 30-30 or even the 30-06. The key at this point isn't about how effective a round is; it's whether you can wildcat a round, and SELL the idea to manufacturers of firearms and ammunitions and the general public. If you look at the 25-45 sharps, it was designed for the AR-15 platform, but if only Sharps is producing parts and ammo, it'll fade away in short order. That's why we see more companies producing grendel and creedmoor ammo. They've been sold that this is the next biggest thing, complete with all the sales pitches and talking points. Before those, we had the 300 AAC/Blackout/Whisper. The Odd man out in this one is the .223 Wylde. It was intermediate chambering for both the Rem 223 and the Nato 5.56. The actual round of .223 wylde however was never produced.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Well, one cannot deny the performance of 6.5mm and such bullets...they just have a great BC. I guess we all have our favorite calibers for whatever reasons, but even though "they" seem to give every new caliber, that shows promise, more credit than they probably should, you still cannot deny the fact that some of these new calibers perform.

·
23,078 Posts
I have a friend who has a pet Creedmore. Bolt action. The velocities he gets out of that thing with his handloads are just amazing. Doesn't even kick too much. I'm not saying any other specific calibers are obsolete, but I bet there are things he can do that not many other calibers can do.

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
118 Posts
My limits are 400 yards. I'm not good enough to fire at game beyond that. My 308 is good at that range. end of story.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I have a friend who has a pet Creedmore. Bolt action. The velocities he gets out of that thing with his handloads are just amazing. Doesn't even kick too much. I'm not saying any other specific calibers are obsolete, but I bet there are things he can do that not many other calibers can do.
Is it the 6.5mm or 6mm? Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
But, but, but, it's the latest and greatest and most up to datest and you just can't kill a deer with a .30-30 anymore. I mean, it ain't possible! :rolleyes:

If I have to shoot very far, and I've never shot a deer at more'n 400 yards even in the mountains, I'll just take my 7 mag. It used to work just fine. I can't imagine it's worse now just because the 6.5 Creedmore is the caliber du jour. And, if you wanted a 6.5 50 years ago, you coulda gotten one, the .264 Winchester Magnum.

Yeah, they're always re-inventing the wheel.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
Fifty years ago....don't forget the 6.5x55mm.

A pop gun compared to .264 win mag ballistics. It was okay for girly men, I guess, that couldn't handle the magnum. :eek: :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
BUMP!!!!! Trying to make it to page 2. BUMMMMMMMPPPPPPP!!! Page two, you there page 2? Where are you page 2, the world wants to know!

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
AH, HERE'S page 2!

·
Premium Member
13,457 Posts
And what can the 6.5 Creedmore do that the .260 Remington can't? Answer, sell more guns. 300 yards is my self imposed limit and the only thing I've ever shot past 200 yards are groundhogs. I've owned both and prefer the .260, but when it comes down to it I'd rather use my 7mm-08 or .270. For long distance varmint I have a .22-250 and a .25-06.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
And what can the 6.5 Creedmore do that the .260 Remington can't? Answer, sell more guns. 300 yards is my self imposed limit and the only thing I've ever shot past 200 yards are groundhogs. I've owned both and prefer the .260, but when it comes down to it I'd rather use my 7mm-08 or .270. For long distance varmint I have a .22-250 and a .25-06.
Well, I mean, what can a .260 do that my old .257 Roberts can't? :laugh: Of course, there's the .308, but I mean, the world's going metric it seems. But, if ya want, it can be a 7.62x51. :rofl:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have an AR 15 in 6.5 Grendel That is my favorite rifle. I have an AR 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. So I don't have to prove which one is the better of the two.. But I do like my Grendel a lot more. I am going to try to post pictures of then together. Let see if it works. GrendelCreedmoor 179.jpg Creedmoor on left Grendel on right.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,305 Posts
:mad: IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! :mad:

Ordered Sulzer 12" 6.5G complete upper

Guess what I'm getting for Christmas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts