Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's complete lower with the enhanced trigger has arrived from PSA. I ordered it in FDE as I didn't have any other than those in basic black. Not sure if I'll keep it this way or not. I have a black grip to swap out and may get an SBM4 to mount in place of the Shockwave. The issue I see is that the trigger guard is in FDE also. Hadn't thought of that. The advantage of keeping it in FDE is that it is easily differentiated from the 300 BLK pistol.

556 Pistol.jpg

556 pistol 1.jpg

·
8,321 Posts
Maybe see if you can find FDE magazines, that may balance the colors a bit. Other than the color issue, that thing looks amazing.

·
Super Moderator
13,761 Posts
^^^ What he said. ^^^ FDE magazines would be a good way to help avoid mixup on your rounds. And - yeah, it'd look good, too.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I like it! Agree, a few FDE mags might just be the ticket.

I have zero experience with an AR pistol but I think the blade style brace would be my first choice. I think the fancy ones just have too much junk going on.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Maybe I'm a little dense but wouldn't the arrangement of the bullets in the magazine differentiate? When visual clues are available, of course.

·
Super Moderator
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice. I.like.it. I want one in .5.56. I just dont want to build one for some reason...
The one shown is an upper from Combat Armory that came as a kit which I assembled and put the reflex sight on it. It took about 45 minutes tops. Really simple. The lower is a completely assembled unit from PSA. Clip the two together, slap in a magazine and you're ready to go. My other MSR's, except my first one in 5.56 which was purchased complete were finished uppers and lowers which I just pinned together. There are so many videos that it's not difficult or time consuming to assemble one from scratch.

Reactions: olfarhors and darbo

·
Registered
794 Posts
I built my current AR. Lately, I'm into instant gratification just walking out of the store, finished product in hand.
Lazy...maybe.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Yes, if you look closely you can tell the difference between loaded rounds. If it's dark, you were awakened by broken glass, or you are receiving incoming, it's awfully nice to have your mags clearly marked.

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
Yes, if you look closely you can tell the difference between loaded rounds. If it's dark, you were awakened by broken glass, or you are receiving incoming, it's awfully nice to have your mags clearly marked.
yea, I keep my 300 Blackout mags separate and with the weapon form the 223/556 guns and mags.
course if not in to big of a hurry 30 rounds of loaded cases using 220 grain projectiles weighs just a tad more than 30 rounds of loaded cases using 55-60 grain projectiles as well.
and not getting into SIZE MATTERS but ain't know way I am going to grab a 556 pistol if I got a 300 Blackout pistol for home defense.

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
The one shown is an upper from Combat Armory that came as a kit which I assembled and put the reflex sight on it. It took about 45 minutes tops. Really simple. The lower is a completely assembled unit from PSA. Clip the two together, slap in a magazine and you're ready to go. My other MSR's, except my first one in 5.56 which was purchased complete were finished uppers and lowers which I just pinned together. There are so many videos that it's not difficult or time consuming to assemble one from scratch.

DAMN $(*[email protected]*%# bunch of Savages sitting at home building all these killer Black assault rifles!!!

Attachments

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Nice, congrats.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Maybe I'm a little dense but wouldn't the arrangement of the bullets in the magazine differentiate? When visual clues are available, of course.
I've seen a half dozen 300 BO bullets stuck half way down .223 barrels, kinda blows things apart. It's more common than one would think. The 300 uses the same mags as normal 223/556. Same double stack arrangement.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
It's complete lower with the enhanced trigger has arrived from PSA. I ordered it in FDE as I didn't have any other than those in basic black. Not sure if I'll keep it this way or not. I have a black grip to swap out and may get an SBM4 to mount in place of the Shockwave. The issue I see is that the trigger guard is in FDE also. Hadn't thought of that. The advantage of keeping it in FDE is that it is easily differentiated from the 300 BLK pistol.

View attachment 460539

View attachment 460541
Wait a minute you. You telling us you built an AR from pieces, but you can't change the trigger guard? ;)

Honestly, I would keep it FDE and Cericoat or rattle can the handguard to match. Nice looking gun friend.

·
Super Moderator
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait a minute you. You telling us you built an AR from pieces, but you can't change the trigger guard? ;)

Honestly, I would keep it FDE and Cericoat or rattle can the handguard to match. Nice looking gun friend.
Thanks! The thought of coating the handguard also came to mind, but then an SB brace is desired also. I am wavering between getting one in black, using the black handgrip that I have in stock and selling off the FDE components.

I guess I really need to get it to the range and let it talk to me. :cool:

Reactions: Bellows1

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
I've seen a half dozen 300 BO bullets stuck half way down .223 barrels, kinda blows things apart. It's more common than one would think. The 300 uses the same mags as normal 223/556. Same double stack arrangement.
TRUE!
BUT! I think one would really have to have their head up their --ahh someplace that they could not see from to load a mag full of 300 BO into a 556 and not notice it?
Now MAYBE in the heat of battle but other than that that's just not being at all responsible, knowledgeable and careless.
Hell the difference in weight alone should shout something to you unless you are suing a 5-10 round mag.
all my AR mags that have 300 BO loaded in them are marked on the outside 300 Black out nice and big.
hell I even look at pistol ammo when loading magazines and each mag is marked with the caliber.
but hey, what can we say --people are still shooting themselves in the leg/ foot!

·
Super Moderator
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Being on the frugal side, how well does a spray paint hold up in this application? How about removal if I decide later to change it? Does the black anodizing stay put or do I need to re-coat it again with black?

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Being on the frugal side, how well does a spray paint hold up in this application? How about removal if I decide later to change it? Does the black anodizing stay put or do I need to re-coat it again with black?
I'd say it holds up as well as anything spray painted. I've done a couple of rifles, they are holding up ok. They are not flawless, but the better you do to prepare the surface, the better it lasts.

Youtube has a bunch of videos on prep and finish coats... of course I didn't think to look for those, until after I painted mine.

I don't know about removing the paint if it goes get scratched, but I know I have left-over paint. :D

The paint and removal should not hurt the anodized finish.

savage223.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The surface of the hand guard is typical and offers a rather rough finish so any coating should adhere pretty well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts