Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just picked up some of these lovely wad cutters in .314 dia that are right at 95 grains. I'm pretty sure they were originally intended for the 32 20. I was hoping to get something worked up for my 327. Has anyone ever messed with such a project? I have enough sense to NOT use them if it's thought to be a bad idea, but I just can't imagine it would be all that hard to figure something out. I also have h&r cases that are begging for a load, so that's an option too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The Federal magnum is pretty hot in factory loads, but I've shot just about all of the various 327 lengths in my Ruger. I'd say as long as you keep your speeds reasonable and watch for bore leading, you'll be fine. Post your results, this is an interesting project.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The full wadcutter that size has been a favorite in the 32 S & W long for target shooting as long as wadcutters have been around. Shot from 80 to 100 grain full wadcutters in 32 colt and S&W long, 32 H&R, 32/20 and 327. Powder coated they can be pushed to some healthy velocities. Good full wadcutter bullets are accurate, we have used them small game hunting with handguns for years in straight wall cases, not so much the 32/20.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Been there, done that. Ha.
I have shot many of these wadcutters through my 327. They are a lot of fun.
Fire away! :)

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Wadcutters are usually loaded as target rounds. Most use a very light roll or taper crimp. With the long bearing surface a good lube or powdercoating keeps leading down on the swagged pure lead or soft lead cast bullets. Several of us shoot full wadcutters in .32, .38, .41, .44 and .45's as both target and game bullets. The big bore full wadcutters with a healthy powder charge under them hit with authority.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What powders are you guys using? I assume something faster.

I found data for 90 grain hollow base using clays and bumped it down .2 grains. Not a lot of powder to be messing with so I dipped and trickled all 30 rounds.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Curious how this works, that's a lot of case for a tiny bit of powder.I load some lead in .32 S&W cases, but haven't tried it in .327 (I do fire them from a 327 though)

·
Super Moderator
35,085 Posts
Bullseye is traditional for .38 WCs and is never a poor choice. :D

Reactions: stupimlico

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I use several different powders for .32's and .38's, all are the fast burn rate. Because pressure is low most will burn dirty. You can use almost any fast burning powder, my favorite is titegroup because it is not direction sensitive, friend loves trail boss in larger cases because he likes volume. Most loads for the old 32 rounds are really weak to keep pressure down for the old revolvers. With powdercoated bullets in modern guns the max loads will still burn dirty because pressures are too low to give a clean burn. Will not give loads I shoot in modern guns but some well over max without any pressure signs to get hot enough for clean burn. As a side note Corbin that makes bullet making dies and presses mentioned shooting full wadcutter rifle bullets. Made and shot some in 22 and 17 calibers to out past 100 yards from varmint rifles. They drop more than varmint bullets of same weight with same load. The higher B C of the pointed varmint bullets gives better trajectory. The full wadcutter bullets still shot M O A groups at 100 plus yards. Wind does have more effect on the full wadcutter. The flat point causes the velocities to drop faster due to resistance. That said at 100 yards and less the full wadcutter can be a very efficient target round. 50 yards and less they are a favorite for many target shooters. The full diameter cookie cutter holes are easy to score. Forgive the rambling, enjoy them, have no clue how many thousands we have shot over the years.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I shoot 95CSW over 9.5/2400 and get very good accuracy from my 327's. You might try loading the WC in your 32 mag cases and shoot them that way. If you do try WW231 powder and you will probably get some good loads .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts