Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
32,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the February Gun World gun magazine is an article about a S&W 632 in .327 Federal magnum. Sounds like it is going to be a excellent gun. 2 1/8" barrel

So are the Tauri 327 and 731s.

What was just as interesting in the article were some statistics on ammo performance. That included .327 Federal mag ammo, some .32 H&R magnum ammo, and .32 S&W Long ammo. All of it is commercially made.

Muzzle velocities were at or in the ballpark of what the Tauri guns get.There was also penetration tests and bullet expansion. Ye old water jugs were used as is popular today.

Speer .327 Federal 100gr.Gold Dot: 1327fps;391ft/lbs;11 inches of penetration; .53 inch bullet expansion

Federal .327 Federal 85gr.Hydra-shok: 1223fps;282ft/lbs/12 inches of penetration; .53 inch bullet expansion

American .327 Federal 85gr.SP:1229fps;285ft/lbs; 18+inches penetration;.35 inch bullet expansion

Black Hills .32 H&R magnum 85gr XTP:842fps;134ft/lbs;18+inches of penetration; .312 inch bullet expansion

Federal .32 S&W Long 98gr. wadcutter: 698fps;106ft/lbs: 18inches of penetration;.35 inch bullet expansion

Fiocchi .32 S&W Long 100gr wadcutter:548fps; 65ft/lbs; 15 inches of penetration; .318 inch bullet expansion

Remington .32 S&W Long 98gr.RNL: 582fps ; 74ft/lbs ; 18+ inches of penetration;312 inch bullet expansion

Winchester .32 S&W Long 98gr.RNL;671 fps ; 98ft/lbs ; 18+ inches of penetration ; 312 inch bullet expansion

What was noticeable is that the bullets at sedate speeds penetrate quite well. So did some of the speedsters. More so than some might think.
Even by F.B.I. testing criterea that's quite a bit. Granted, no clothed figures or jugs were used.

You'd be surprised what can kill or cause grave harm and seem almost harmless ordinarily. Even at slow speeds the rounds go deep.

No, I would not count on the slowest rounds for defense, but if for some reason one has to be aware that these rounds can and do penetrate deeply.

There are those of you who get behind the deep penetration is THE only or most important bullet wounding factor. This includes the FMJ for defense crowd. I'm not calling anyone out, but just presenting the collected evidence.

This is just another " I would not to stand in the way of any gun caliber" kind of post. :)

The round nosed ammo causes ice pick width wounds in a body. That is true for high speed handgun rounds and sedate speed rounds.

Flesh is elastic and will snap back together. This is not to say that massive damage is never done by round nosed slugs.

I would just prefer a hollowpoint ,SWC, or wadcutter profile for a defense round. Yes, there are a lot of other factors that all go into this. I just wanted to present some info without going into all the other ones. That's all.

The test of the .32 caliber ammo out of 2 inch barrel is what caught my eye. Obviously longer barrels are going to change a few things and I am going to let thing lie there.

There might be something to as why our forefathers and foremothers (why not?) went with pocket revolvers with short barrels for so long. They knew some things we did not or might have.

The first rule is to have a gun. Any gun for a fight. No, these are not power houses, but they do give person a way to defend themselves other than a sharp stick or contact weapon of some kind.

·
32,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're most welcome.

There are great number of reasons to like the .32s. Just too many reasons to try and list. :)

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Good reading there, I appreciate your offering it up for us. What the heck, I even gave you a "Like" for doing so.

·
32,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good reading there, I appreciate your offering it up for us. What the heck, I even gave you a "Like" for doing so.
Thanks. There's a lot of good data out there. I'm just happy to pass it on.

Lurking in the cob webbed Archives is like that.:)

The .32s are just great.Even the NEF and H&R revolvers are fun to have and shoot from time to time.

·
Registered
810 Posts
"There might be something to as why our forefathers and foremothers (why not?) went with pocket revolvers with short barrels for so long."

IMHO, yes, the reason is that standard revolvers in 'powerful' calibers were big and clunky and would not fit in any of their pockets. lol

Proper 'attire' in areas that were becoming more 'civilized' did not include big 'ol holsters and gun belts. Technology did not develop smaller large caliber/powerful firearms until the 20th century.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have been enamoured of 32 caliber hand guns since 1956 when I inherited my grandfather's Colt Bisley 71/2" 32 W.C.F.. It was that gun and cartridge that got me started casting and hand loading, I was 11 years old, been at it ever since and still have that Bisley. I now have a total of 5 Colt revolvers chambered in 32-20 (32 W.C.F.) ranging in age from 1907 to 1925. I have 2 Colt DA's in 32 Colt, 4 Colt and 1 S&W in 32 Police (32 S&W Long), 1 Taurus in 32 H&R Magnum and 1 Taurus and 1 Charter Arms in 327 Federal Magnum and finally a Walther PP from the early 60's in 32 Auto. That totals 16 hand guns in various 32 Caliber cartridges; always on the lookout for more. I cast and hand load all of them.
Yeah I like 32's.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Good information, interesting read. I'm rather impressed at the performance of the .327 Federal Magnum every time I encounter articles discussing this caliber. I'm a .38/.357 guy, perhaps when the ammo becomes plentiful I'll consider a Taurus 327....

·
Registered
239 Posts
"perhaps when the ammo becomes plentiful I'll consider a Taurus 327..." Taurus discontinued it ,the prices right now are the best they will get,grab one while you can . ~~RR~~.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
My father handed me an Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless revolver about two years before he passed away. Found in the basement of the house he was living in, it had belonged to his second wife's late husband. All four of them had grown up within two blocks of each other. Her husband died on 1977, and my mom in 1979.

The gun is still in the original IJ box, with a green glass solvent jar, and nylon bore brush included. The gun is in nickel, and is in .32 S&W Long. Using Fiocchi ammunition, the little thing is quite accurate, and surprisingly strong in recoil. As it's an heirloom, it doesn't get shot much.

While ice-pick wounds can be moderately disabling, the real problem comes when they hit hollow organs like the kidneys, spleen, bladder, heart, and stomach. None of these organs, nor the liver, take kindly to punctures, and the resultant spilling of blood and fluids into the internal cavity. Some can be excruciatingly painful, as well.

Gun fights seem to be viewed as though they were outside of the lives of the participants. Emphasis is placed on "instant stops", and anything else is dismissed as worthless. That's not quite true in the real world. Much like a knife fight, the difference between "winner" and "loser" is often the amount of time that the wounds take to kill both. Getting shot by almost anything will, except in a few lucky cases, leave the victim with long term problems medically. In fact, the almost blase' attitude evidenced would certainly lead to ignoring some wounds, with attendant sepsis resulting.

There was a reason why our grand-parents, and great grand-parents trusted the "weak and feeble" calibers of their day. They worked. Most criminals left at the sight of a gun (sounds like today), and were seriously worried about injuries that would lead to police attention (again, sounds like today). Today, it seems that any round that doesn't drop an attacker on the spot is considered lethal to the shooter, as well. Yet, in the days of the .32 ACP, the .380 ACP, the .32 and .38 S&W, and the even older black powder rounds in .31 and .36 caliber, lawmen, bank guards, and citizens and criminals alike used them to great effect. I've never read of the wholesale slaughter of civilians defending themselves with these guns, at the hands of criminals. Have you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
QwiksDraw... Thanks for the post. I read the Gun World article with great interest during a recent shopping trip to Wally World. I am intrigued by the .32 calibers. I own a Ruger SP101 327magnum, and just recently purchased a Taurus 731 H&R magnum. Over time, I have slowly built-up a reserve of .32 S&W shorts, longs, H&R mags, and 327mags. Maybe its because the ammo is so difficult to obtain... trying to find the various .32 calibers just adds to the "thrill" of the chase. In any case, the H&R magnum and 327magnum are formidable rounds, roughly equivalent to the .38+P and 357 rounds. Certainly nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well, I was already leaning toward a Taurus M327, and after reading the previous posts, I went to Bud's and bought one for $238 shipped! Can't wait to get it and try it out.

I already own a model 65 snubby and recently bought my wife an ultralite 85. This .327 should make a nice carry piece.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks to our resident professor for an excellent article on the .32 caliber handgun.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Gotta remember that
had a "32 gun in his pocket for fun, and a razor in his shoe"
(Obviously way before modern orthotics)
:)

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I like the .32 caliber -- especially .32 H&R Magnum. It gives near .38 spl +p ballisitcs but has less recoil. In addition, it lets you carry an extra round as compared to a five-shot .38. A revolver chamered for .327 magnum would be even better. It would be an extremely versitile revolver to own.

·
32,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are also HKS speedloaders that work well with it and Tuff Products make the equivelant of speedstrips that can be used for carrying extra ammo.

Heck, the .32 H&R alone is very versatile.

Yep, that sixth shot in a small package is a bonus. :)

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
Thanks for the post. I've got a soft spot for .32's.. the first Semi Auto I ever fired was a colt (Browning) 1903.

·
32,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're all welcome.

I'm beginning to have a fondness for the .32 ACP as well as the other .32 calibers.

The Taurus PT132 Millennium Pro and the CZ83 offer a lot of ammo in a compact pistol package. Beretta,NAA,and Taurus make great mini pocket pistols as well.

Shoot round nosed ammo and have a ball. Ammo that is. Fun also included. :)

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Just got back in from shooting my cheap H&R Model 732 in 32 Long. I was using hand loads with my cast bullet, Lyman 313445 over 2.4 and 2.9 grains of Trail Boss in R-P cases with WSP primers. The heavier charge proved to be the more accurate in the cheap revolver. The accuracy over balances the lack of "stopping power" simply by putting the projectile where it needs to be. I an very fond of 32 caliber hand guns and have more of them than any other caliber.
GO 32's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts