Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, thought I had enough ammo for the firearms(except 12 ga, need more) and
then I go and trade the OSS45 for a PT840c.Love the gun, but wife is kinda sick of
me spending money daily. So I thought too myself" I'll start shooting the .177 cal pellet gun" just
to stay in practice and have some fun. Long story short, went outside today, about 58 degrees and
sunny, and set up a target in the back yard made out of plywood. Took awhile to get sighted in and
was starting to irritate me as I wasn't hitting center from about 15 or 20 feet. Stopped, took a long
breath, birds singing a happy tune in the background, and let it loose......
BAM, center shot, then the @#$%^& pellet came back and hit me right in the forehead, raising a nice
welt and drawing a little blood.......Then the laughing starts from the wife, not one of my better moments.:eek:

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I hate it when that happens!

I did get hit by a decent sized piece of my own 9mm round shooting a steel plate in match one day. No damage but I knew it hit me!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Well, thought I had enough ammo for the firearms(except 12 ga, need more) and
then I go and trade the OSS45 for a PT840c.Love the gun, but wife is kinda sick of
me spending money daily. So I thought too myself" I'll start shooting the .177 cal pellet gun" just
to stay in practice and have some fun. Long story short, went outside today, about 58 degrees and
sunny, and set up a target in the back yard made out of plywood. Took awhile to get sighted in and
was starting to irritate me as I wasn't hitting center from about 15 or 20 feet. Stopped, took a long
breath, birds singing a happy tune in the background, and let it loose......
BAM, center shot, then the @#$%^& pellet came back and hit me right in the forehead, raising a nice
welt and drawing a little blood.......Then the laughing starts from the wife, not one of my better moments.:eek:
FWIW - you paint a good picture! Very cinamatic.

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
When I shoot my air pistols in the backyard, I tip the top of the back-board (plywood) towards me. The pellets ricochet into the ground. I usually take two cement blocks and lay a board for a shelf and shoot at "objects of opportunity". A bag of army men from the Dollar Store makes for tough little targets.

·
Registered
14,168 Posts
Oh come on and man up, I used to have a cheap little .22lr pistol that drew blood from me with almost every pull of the trigger. Still have that little .22, haven't found anyone I dislike enough to give it too yet...notice I said yet.

Glad to hear your recovering from being shot in the head. Now be careful out there.

·
Super Moderator
37,972 Posts
It's nice to be able to get outside up here. I'll always make it a point to wear a cap with the bill pulled down pretty low to try and avoid shrapnel. We had a guy at out ISPC match get a piece of copper jacket stuck in his face off of a steel popper. :eek:

Reactions: darbo

·
Super Moderator
20,080 Posts
Careful kid, don't shoot yer eye out . . .

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Ouch I bet that hurt.. Chit happens.. Be carefull..

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Now you have got me thinking. Now I need opinions.

I have a section of cheap steel from the stand of a plasma tv. It's about 3/16ths thick. Otherwise it's 1x2 feet.
I have it leaned in the weedy bushes as a handgun target.
My 9mm 155gr fmj leaves nice dents at 21 feet. But no pass throughs.

Do you think I am at risk of chunky flybacks?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Now you have got me thinking. Now I need opinions.

I have a section of cheap steel from the stand of a plasma tv. It's about 3/16ths thick. Otherwise it's 1x2 feet.
I have it leaned in the weedy bushes as a handgun target.
My 9mm 155gr fmj leaves nice dents at 21 feet. But no pass throughs.

Do you think I am at risk of chunky flybacks?
If it has divots there is a chance of one coming back.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I've had the same happen with a .22 LR. Shooting birds sitting on rocks on the farm. You shoot the rock just under the bird and it kills them with shrapnel unless the rock is flat and facing you........drew blood on that. O.K. so I was a kid and didn't know better but learned quick.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hurt my pride more than anything, then I thought" the hell with pride"
in the hope it would make some of you laugh.
My stupidity = mission accomplished.:)

·
Registered
832 Posts
My dad tells a similar story from his childhood, for that reason he always had us cant the plywood just a little to deflect those deadly BBs

·
Registered
40 Posts
My grandfather has a fold over pellet rifle rated at 900 fps. We were shooting frozen corn cobs one day and one of the pellets came back and hit the wind Chime above our heads. Don't shoot frozen corn either

1 - 20 of 20 Posts