Taurus Firearm Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Just took mine 126/82 not super bad, I went to a general practitioner this past December for bp meds after a dentist refused to work on Me because I was 185/124 it was a wake up call for sure.
I have a Friend who's older Brother suffered a couple of minor strokes and then the big one after not following Dr.'s instructions or taking His medication.
He is now living in a nursing home wearing a diaper and unable to walk, speak or feed Himself at 62, Guys take care of Yourselves.

·
Registered
21,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
You know I kept seeing this pop up and not paying attention to it. Just saw it's one of my threads from SEVEN years ago! Y'all are nuts. Blood pressure is perfect these days thanks to meds.

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
Just took mine 126/82 not super bad, I went to a general practitioner this past December for bp meds after a dentist refused to work on Me because I was 185/124 it was a wake up call for sure.
I have a Friend who's older Brother suffered a couple of minor strokes and then the big one after not following Dr.'s instructions or taking His medication.
He is now living in a nursing home wearing a diaper and unable to walk, speak or feed Himself at 62, Guys take care of Yourselves.
It's hard to "like" this post but thanks for illustrating the importance of watching and controlling BP.

Texheim...good for you for getting on the issue!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Thanks, I just may jump off that bridge jonjren was alluding too; my life is now ruined! ;)
Staying away from women in general has lowered my blood pressure and I can afford more ammo and guns.

3 years last Oct 2. I gave them up, my weight came down, blood pressure down, sleeping better, and more money in the wallet and bank.

Maloy

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It can be a blessing ..... 'IF' it inspires you to do what you need to do to get off the meds. But if you don't mind having to take meds, then carry on. ...... I would take it as a challenge, kind of like 'don't tell me I need meds, I'll show you'. ..... That is IF it is possible to do so, but even if not, it is still beneficial to try. ....... My personal philosophy is that the longer you can avoid meds, the BETTER off you are, and the longer you can be a burden to the Social Security system.

About 6 years ago I felt strange one day at home, couldn't figure why. Got my stethoscope and my heart sounded like an 8 year old kid with his first set of drums. Yes, we decided to take a trip to the emergency room (it was Saturday). They kept me all night, ran ALL the tests, and decided I had intermittent atrial fibrillation. It would come on for a while, then eventually go back to a normal beat.

Was referred to a respected cardiologist in the area and for the first time in my life I was on TWO long term meds. One was a combo to control blood pressure AND keep my heart from racing. (I quit that one after about 6 months) The other was Fleca ..... something, to help maintain a steady rhythm. (that one proved too strong and made it worse). ..... We cut it in half and I stuck with that one for a couple years, but started to get lax with it as by keeping a journal, I seemed to be having more occurrences now than I did prior meds. So I stopped that too.

About the same time, I started cardio workouts at the gym. I had joined it about two months prior as I had turned 65 and it was now FREE. (One of my favorite words). ..... Anyhoo, I have been doing regular hard cardio twice a week, and weight train 3 days ...... and have not taken any meds for over 3 years. ..... The A-fib still comes and goes, but the heart is strong enough to deal with it. It is now usually mild and short lived.

I very well may have to go on meds eventually, but as I said, the longer you can delay it, the better off you will be. And whether it has anything to do with it or not, I have not eaten ANY animal flesh in 8 years. (Wasn't easy, but is now) Just had annual physical in Feb.. BMI is 25, doctor happy. ........ Anyway, as I said it can be a challenge to you, a chance to show that YOU can have some, if not all, of the control, rather than your doctor.

Whew ....... shut me up.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
999 Posts
It can be a blessing ..... 'IF' it inspires you to do what you need to do to get off the meds. But if you don't mind having to take meds, then carry on. ...... I would take it as a challenge, kind of like 'don't tell me I need meds, I'll show you'. ..... That is IF it is possible to do so, but even if not, it is still beneficial to try. ....... My personal philosophy is that the longer you can avoid meds, the BETTER off you are, and the longer you can be a burden to the Social Security system.

About 6 years ago I felt strange one day at home, couldn't figure why. Got my stethoscope and my heart sounded like an 8 year old kid with his first set of drums. Yes, we decided to take a trip to the emergency room (it was Saturday). They kept me all night, ran ALL the tests, and decided I had intermittent atrial fibrillation. It would come on for a while, then eventually go back to a normal beat.

Was referred to a respected cardiologist in the area and for the first time in my life I was on TWO long term meds. One was a combo to control blood pressure AND keep my heart from racing. (I quit that one after about 6 months) The other was Fleca ..... something, to help maintain a steady rhythm. (that one proved too strong and made it worse). ..... We cut it in half and I stuck with that one for a couple years, but started to get lax with it as by keeping a journal, I seemed to be having more occurrences now than I did prior meds. So I stopped that too.

About the same time, I started cardio workouts at the gym. I had joined it about two months prior as I had turned 65 and it was now FREE. (One of my favorite words). ..... Anyhoo, I have been doing regular hard cardio twice a week, and weight train 3 days ...... and have not taken any meds for over 3 years. ..... The A-fib still comes and goes, but the heart is strong enough to deal with it. It is now usually mild and short lived.

I very well may have to go on meds eventually, but as I said, the longer you can delay it, the better off you will be. And whether it has anything to do with it or not, I have not eaten ANY animal flesh in 8 years. (Wasn't easy, but is now) Just had annual physical in Feb.. BMI is 25, doctor happy. ........ Anyway, as I said it can be a challenge to you, a chance to show that YOU can have some, if not all, of the control, rather than your doctor.

Whew ....... shut me up.
I’m more of a meat guy than flesh anyways..... tried quitting meat once. Didn’t work out so I bought a grill/smoker and embraced my weaknesses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
8,319 Posts
ARghhh! its tough to take when the "old man" diseases start cropping up. Hey at least you don;t have a prostate the size of Alaska blocking any flow. Once your doc finds the right combo of meds you will be fine. I have one of those CVS home blood pressure monitors, it works fine to do an occasional check. Also it may be wise to start eliminating the some of the things that cause the ole BP to be high. The list is long , but worth an effort. I am afraid alcohol consumption is right at the top.

·
Registered
27,087 Posts
Ha! Being at the dentist is good for an additional 20 points!
There are 4 basic pathways to high blood pressure: genetics, disease, stress, and diet.
  • Can't do anything about #1.
  • Try to get your doc to look at #2... he should be able to help there. Even a low grade infection (like gingevitis... why were you at the dentist?) can pump up your BP significantly.
  • Stress... quit watching the news, let Purple pay the bills, exercise. Endorphins reduce the stress response.
  • Diet... Weight and blood glucose are huge contributors to high BP.

·
17,565 Posts
O.K. the only thing funny there is the Dentist....."Drill" Instructor....Dentist....Drill....am I the only one that got that?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Happens but is correctable. Go with it and live longer for your family.
Been there and done that.

·
Super Moderator
13,761 Posts
O.K. the only thing funny there is the Dentist....."Drill" Instructor....Dentist....Drill....am I the only one that got that?
Unfortunately, no. You're not the only one who got that.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts