Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
21,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
31 years old and I was put on blood pressure medicine on Monday.
The current reading (see title) is a hell of a lot better than the reading at the Dr which was 189 over something or another.
The hole reason I went to the Dr for this particular issue was that my Navy (RET) dentist yelled at me Full Metal Jacket style:
"Boy!!! Do you want to stroke out? Leave your wife behind? Are you just ignorant or stupid!!!"
Sir, No SIR! I replied.
I actually made my appointment with my GP while sitting in the Drill Instructor Dentist's chair waiting for my lip to go numb.
It's hereditary (I know what John's thinking) my father is 5 foot 10, 130 lbs and has high blood pressure.
I am no longer "immortal" :(

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Liking your post, Tex, not the circumstances.

I know, I'm 5'8"/160-ish, and when I hit about 40, my doc took my BP and it was pretty much what your dentist said. He said I was a cheeseburger away from a massive blowout on the way back to my car, and have been on the meds since.

The math is very simple - if one of your parents have high BP, you have a 50% chance of developing it. If both have it, it's a matter or when, not if.

And both of mine have it, so here we are.

·
Registered
21,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Liking your post, Tex, not the circumstances.

I know, I'm 5'8"/160-ish, and when I hit about 40, my doc took my BP and it was pretty much what your dentist said. He said I was a cheeseburger away from a massive blowout on the way back to my car, and have been on the meds since.

The math is very simple - if one of your parents have high BP, you have a 50% chance of developing it. If both have it, it's a matter or when, not if.

And both of mine have it, so here we are.
Do you check yours at home regularly?
If you do, what monitor do you use?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Good on you for taking care of it, sometimes there is no time to wait.

·
Registered
21,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just stay away from young women and having a good time in life. It works for me.
Thanks, I just may jump off that bridge jonjren was alluding too; my life is now ruined! ;)

·
Registered
24,496 Posts
Good on ya Texheim. just don't get upset now. Chill. Take it easy. Settle down. Easy boy. Nooo Problems eh.

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
Join the club. I started takings meds about a year ago. It's a combo of my heredity and lifestyle. Stroke scares the hell out of me, but apparently not enough to lose the 50 pounds that I should get rid of.

·
Registered
21,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Join the club. I started takings meds about a year ago. It's a combo of my heredity and lifestyle. Stroke scares the hell out of me, but apparently not enough to lose the 50 pounds that I should get rid of.
What are you talking about? Czech food is great for you! Not high in sodium or anything else that's bad for you.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I know how you feel..My dad and his 3 sisters all have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes... I'm already on cholesterol meds, and my blood pressure runs high, but not high enough that they've mentioned medication.. yet! So far my blood sugar is good, hoping it stays that way! Thanks Dad! Good for you on taking the necessary steps Texheim!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I have naturally low blood pressure. Been as low as 110/60.

Losing weight I went low-carb which dropped it even further. There
were a couple nights I got out of bed and passed out. Went to my GP
and she said " eat MORE salt". Idea was to retain more water to
keep my blood pressure up.

I can eat salt to incredible levels and not have an issue.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
21,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have naturally low blood pressure. Been as low as 110/60.

Losing weight I went low-carb which dropped it even further. There
were a couple nights I got out of bed and passed out. Went to my GP
and she said " eat MORE salt". Idea was to retain more water to
keep my blood pressure up.

I can eat salt to incredible levels and not have an issue.

All the Best,
D. White
That's the exact opposite of me. I'm what I call "salt sensitive" and avoid salt like the plague.

·
Administrator
35,110 Posts
That stuff is nothing to fool around with. It's not called the silent killer for nothing.

I first noticed that my heart was racing when I was 36 - that was 13 years ago. I've been on blood pressure meds ever since. This last year they changed one of the meds, and I had an interesting 5 or 6 days getting dialed in, but it was worth it, my blood pressure is under control and everything is good. :)

Reactions: Sekol and Wolf1477

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The dentist was right, even if he was a little tough on you. Hereditary or not, take care of yourself. Exercise a little more, eat a little less, and take your meds. The best gift you can give your family is 50 more years of your presence. God bless!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
My family doesn't have high pressure but we sure do have cholesterol thru the roof. And thanks Dad, for the taste for beer

Reactions: Texheim

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Do you check yours at home regularly?
If you do, what monitor do you use?
I do check my pressure regularly but I have low blood pressure. My normal is 95/57 but I also have PVC's and after a PVC the natural response it to slow the heart rate and I can pass out.

I use a Relion 6021rel from walmart that goes over the wrist, it is very easy to get on and easy to use.
The 6021rel that I have is no longer available this is the newer version
ReliOn Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor, Digital Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor, Wrist Blood Pressure Cuff, Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor

The Omron 7 has a lot more functions and the price seems to have come down to a very reasonable point.
Omron 7 Series Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor - Walmart.com

I would go with the Omron 7 if I had to get a new one.

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Registered
21,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do check my pressure regularly but I have low blood pressure. My normal is 95/57 but I also have PVC's and after a PVC the natural response it to slow the heart rate and I can pass out.

I use a Relion 6021rel from walmart that goes over the wrist, it is very easy to get on and easy to use.
The 6021rel that I have is no longer available this is the newer version
ReliOn Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor, Digital Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor, Wrist Blood Pressure Cuff, Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor

The Omron 7 has a lot more functions and the price seems to have come down to a very reasonable point.
Omron 7 Series Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor - Walmart.com

I would go with the Omron 7 if I had to get a new one.
I bought the Omron 7 today.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
16,838 Posts
Me?
I plan on living forever.
So far so good. ;)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts