Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a loooong time since I've been on a base, and that would only be U.S. Army, so am I missing something here?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51431690

Sure seems strange that this guy had easy access to arms and ammo on an 'in country peace time camp'. I would think the armory would be locked, guarded and require authorization to access. ...... Also appears that he was able to drive right off base in a military vehicle. ..... No guards at the gate ? ........ No gate? ........ No MPs questioning the removal of a military vehicle from the post?

If not, I bet the rules get changed there. Sounds waaaaay too lax to me.

·
Registered
18,486 Posts
I can't say about all of them but the Navy bases I was on, only checked vehicles entering and basically paid no attention to those leaving. The only place I was ever checked both ways, was at Dam Neck but that was because I was in the Seal Team 6 compound...:unsure:...guess they're a tad touchy about who goes in and out of places like that. The main gate only looked at me goin' in.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Without going back and re-reading, the shooter was an officer, and he worked in the ammunition center. I immagine humvees come and go fairly regularly at the gate. I can't remember what set him off.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without going back and re-reading, the shooter was an officer, and he worked in the ammunition center. I immagine humvees come and go fairly regularly at the gate. I can't remember what set him off.
AP says 'Sgt. Maj'. pretty young for a peace time Sgt Maj, but it's Thailand, who knows. Plus, there is no rank of Sgt maj in Thailand.

The 'Sun', UK says 'Sgt', so that makes more sense for his age, although access to the armory still makes no sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts