Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving my new TH9C. I was wondering if anyone knows what sights might be compatible? I would think the Novak dovetail would match a more popular gun that I can get sights for that would work, or an I way off base?

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
Is that how it is around here? Of course I googled first, how do you think I found this forum? Well if questions aren't welcome then what good is a forum?
ah can't answer for everybody but we members that live close to one another hang out and drink beer and eat pizza a lot!
as this is a new introduction from taurus , and as Taurus has a reputation for making one of a kind swap and fit parts and as most manufactures don't make after market parts for this reason you might be a bit premature in asking, perhaps you can find the answer and share it with the other beer --pizza---ahh --Forum members?
if one is creative and persistent enough one could research and see what the sight demensions are and heights, compare to other sights available and be willing to file, grind, or other wise alter an existing sight to fit the weapon?
or maybe try asking Alfonse (lake line) as he seems to be making a few taurus parts.
hope this answers some of the questions and welcome to the forum.

·
Vendor
867 Posts
The dovetail is a Taurus version of a Novak dovetail. It doesn't match other versions. I don't know what arrangement Taurus and Novak had on them. We do have some night sights and almost have some fiber optic sights. I was at the shop making them a week ago, and they are almost done. They were meant to be out months ago. The dovetails do have significant variation, and fitting can take some patience. Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dovetail is a Taurus version of a Novak dovetail. It doesn't match other versions. I don't know what arrangement Taurus and Novak had on them. We do have some night sights and almost have some fiber optic sights. I was at the shop making them a week ago, and they are almost done. They were meant to be out months ago. The dovetails do have significant variation, and fitting can take some patience. Thanks.
Thanks so much, that's exactly what I was looking for. Any chance you'll look at making some front dot over rear bar type sights in the future? I have come across your website and I love that SOMEBODY is making aftermarket stuff for Taurus' lol. May look into getting a steel guide rod for the TH9C if you come out with one for that model too. Thanks again!

·
Vendor
867 Posts
Thanks so much, that's exactly what I was looking for. Any chance you'll look at making some front dot over rear bar type sights in the future? I have come across your website and I love that SOMEBODY is making aftermarket stuff for Taurus' lol. May look into getting a steel guide rod for the TH9C if you come out with one for that model too. Thanks again!
I don't know. So far TH series stuff isn't moving very quickly. Sights are expensive to make. When they have to be made in small batches, they are even more expensive. With tritium night sights, we don't want our stock getting old, so we can't make them efficiently unless we can make a bunch of them. The night sights we have we actually had Novak do, and they are still very difficult to fit. And, they understand that dovetail really well since they came up with it. Taurus is known among the sight manufacturers as having quite a bit of variation in their fit. This is one of the challenges. With fiber optic sights, it isn't such a big deal since they don't really have a shelf life and are somewhat less expensive although small batches still are much more costly than if we can run (sell) more. So it seems more likely when we do more that they would be a blacked out rear (u-channel or otherwise) with some front options as they are more popular than the bar-dot type.

Thanks,
Al

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Meh, I'm pretty happy the way my TH9c came. But, if you get something that you consider an improvement (night sights are always an improvement) let us know. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I got an $8 florescent orange paint pen on Amazon and painted the front blade edge (leaving the white dot of course) and just that easy mod is a big improvement in picking up the front sight and not losing focus to the read sights etc.

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
So I got an $8 florescent orange paint pen on Amazon and painted the front blade edge (leaving the white dot of course) and just that easy mod is a big improvement in picking up the front sight and not losing focus to the read sights etc.

Ahh, Fingernail polish is cheaper!
just curious why you would leave the front white dot though?
personal like I guess but if the orange is easier to see and pick up why the white dot?
after all in a self defense scenario you just trying to find the front blade anyway.

Reactions: william

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hope LL is making the Fiber Optic fronts with a .180" height option. The stock .200" sight on the TH9 does not allow the sight path to ever cross with the bullet trajectory.

For what it's worth to anyone..., the dovetail cut on my TH9 is .305" wide at the bottom and is .063" depth. The sight post is .200" tall but because there is clearance between the bottom of the sight blade and the top of the slide the total sight height is .205".

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
I guess I got lucky. My TH9c is spot on with 115 grain bullets at +P velocities and shoots ball ammo well, also. If it shot low, I'd break out the file for the front site.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I guess I got lucky. My TH9c is spot on with 115 grain bullets at +P velocities and shoots ball ammo well, also. If it shot low, I'd break out the file for the front site.
I filed down the front site blade to a height of .180" on my TH9 (full size). This is how I learned what sight height was needed. Now the dots are lined-up when the tops of the sights are lined-up. With a 'center hold' the rounds fall right under the front dot.

I would like to install a red fiber optic which is why I hope LL will offer them in a height that is shorter than the stock height. If not, I'll just stick with my filed down stock sight.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahh, Fingernail polish is cheaper!
just curious why you would leave the front white dot though?
personal like I guess but if the orange is easier to see and pick up why the white dot?
after all in a self defense scenario you just trying to find the front blade anyway.

Well the dot is indented anyway so it wasn't difficult to leave the dot, and as you said in self defense you're just trying to pick up the blade, but I also want to line up the dots at the range. I was originally going to mask off the front blade and just do an orange circle around the front dot, kinda like some of the TruGlo sights etc. but just went with the whole front blade. I guess I got lucky too cause when I line up the dots the POI seems to be right on top of the blade. First time out to the range with this thing was the first time I'd shot in almost 20 years, put 200 rounds into a target at 10yrds and 90% of them went right through a 1inch whole in the middle ring so I can't argue with that, lol.

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
Well the dot is indented anyway so it wasn't difficult to leave the dot, and as you said in self defense you're just trying to pick up the blade, but I also want to line up the dots at the range. I was originally going to mask off the front blade and just do an orange circle around the front dot, kinda like some of the TruGlo sights etc. but just went with the whole front blade. I guess I got lucky too cause when I line up the dots the POI seems to be right on top of the blade. First time out to the range with this thing was the first time I'd shot in almost 20 years, put 200 rounds into a target at 10yrds and 90% of them went right through a 1inch whole in the middle ring so I can't argue with that, lol.
shoot I don't blame you for using that I mean 180 rounds at 10 yards through a 1 inch circle--color me impressed!
I can't do that with my Tanfoglio Elite Matches or my CZ Shadow -2.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,928 Posts

which works fine IF one is not fascinated with the white white dot!
course IF it shot low one could also maybe not use Plus p ammo as well and give that a try.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
shoot I don't blame you for using that I mean 180 rounds at 10 yards through a 1 inch circle--color me impressed!
I can't do that with my Tanfoglio Elite Matches or my CZ Shadow -2.
Yeah, I was pretty impressed myself, like I said, I hadn't shot in almost 20 years. I mean, I was taking my time, no fast shooting, but still pretty good. I don't know how much my archery experience transfers over or if it was just beginners luck or maybe I finally found something I'm talented at, lol, who knows. Believe me I'm not trying to brag or say I'm some hot shot, I was as surprised as anyone with that result, lol.

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
Yea, I shot a bit of competiton archery back in the day, had 3-4 Robin Hooded arrows.
never done that with a psitol that I can recall but i am thinking of maybe going with hollow based projectiles to see if i don't have better luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is disheartening, I REALLY like the DA/SA trigger on the Taurus.
but I can always just paint the sights.

lefty

1 - 20 of 30 Posts