Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good looking handgun in my worthless opinion and nice price. Seem to be a good step for Taurus, no?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I like the grip better than the PT-809, but in essence it is a 809. I tried one at the range not too long ago. Accuracy was good, and recoil very controllable. If you already have an 809, keep it. It's not enough of a change unless you look for the sub compact version.

I you don't have an 809, it is a good choice. I personally went back to a hammer gun myself in the form of a CZ P07.

Maloy

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Like maloy said, good looking pistol, but basically just an 800 series gun without the warranty... I too flirted with striker pistols, and still carry a 740; but am back to considering only hammer-fired pistols.

I've always liked just about everything about the 800/TH pistol, and still carry a 845; although now 9mm appears to be the only available caliber.

·
Registered
994 Posts
If you want a full size, hammer fired Pistol, the the TH9 is a good choice and I'd recommend getting it.

I bought one, went through about 500 rounds, then sold it.

For me, it just didn't seem to fit my hand and style. I much prefer a compact, smaller Pistol.

Had I bought a TH9C, it might have been a better fit for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a TH9 just to see if it was going to be decent. So far it's not bad, and DA part of the trigger is gritty, but SA isn't bad, I've run about 700 rounds though it 400 since it was cleaned last, and I it shoots just fine, but if you limp wrist it it'll tend to double feed, and be a little finicky. I've shot several brands of from federal, honady, etc... I like the way grip fits, and so far going to run it as is.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I really like mine. The slide fitment is tight and smooth.....the trigger (and the super-tight mag release button) is (are) not bad at all once you wear it in a bit....

....I'd much prefer it in FDE, but the black ain't bad:

Attachments

Reactions: jwc007 and MoKen

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I like the looks of them but I haven't seen any around here yet I am glad to hear that the mags fit tight that's the one thing I don't like about my PT 840 even after replacing set spring and insert to hold and release the mag it is still loose but you can't pull the mag out before the mags were falling out. I also like the fact that they kept the hammer nothing against strikers but I just like the hammer guns

·
Registered
63 Posts
Recently got a TH9C. Have had some mis feeds, fewer after cleaning. Suggestions on the forum recomended polishing the feed ramp, there was a slight burr that polishing got rid of. After polishing I can manually cycle the slide with dummy rounds and no more issues, pretty sure the issue is resolved. Will know for sure when I get to the range. I am new to pistol shooting and don’t have experience with many other pistols. The fit and finish is pretty good and after spending a 1/2 hour with a dremel tool cotton buff wheel and fine polish compound the action seems very smooth. I have shot some glocks and S&W 9mm and my impession is that the TH9C provides very good value for under $300 all in. Now if I can only find a souce for additional magazines.

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
Recently got a TH9C. Now if I can only find a souce for additional magazines.
Not to sound obvious, but have you tried Taurus? If it is an 'in production' model, they surely have some magazines for sale. If they don't please post here, as that would be another big red flag for Taurus.

I've purchased all my Taurus magazines from Internet auction sites, but I've never noticed (but certainly never looked for) TH9C magazines.

Good luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not to sound obvious, but have you tried Taurus? If it is an 'in production' model, they surely have some magazines for sale. If they don't please post here, as that would be another big red flag for Taurus.

I've purchased all my Taurus magazines from Internet auction sites, but I've never noticed (but certainly never looked for) TH9C magazines.

Good luck.
Check out my post 809C Mags in the TH9C. I have checked with Tuarus they don't have them told me to check with Mec Gar who makes their Mags. Mec Gar told me they make them but can't sell them due to agreement with Taurus. Talk with Taurus again what about the 809C Mag in the TH9C answer it will not fit. Don't have any TH9 Mags available and don't know when they will, maybe next year. Then told to try aftermarket Mags in the meantime. I asked who makes aftermarket Mags for the TH9, answer we have no idea.

Conclusion if you buy a TH9 or 9C be prepared to work with the two mags that come with it. I would like to try an 809(C) Mag in the TH9 (C) as the guns appear almost the same but don't want to waste $30+ in case it does not fit.

I would be great if someone with an 809 mag could try it in the TH9 and let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally got mine! Shopped around a lot for an entry level piece to suit me, and being a lefty(that shoots with either hand) the TH rose to the top.
I had a super cheap 9 many years ago that had failures with each clip and having just emptied 2 clips flawlessly I have high hopes for this gun!
While I can't quite get the clip to fall with my thumb right handed it comes right out if use my trigger finger. I also found in have to use both slide release to facilitate removal. So far I really like the trigger. Am waiting for the ambi holster I ordered, should be here day after tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are heaps of the cheaper guns that the steel ammo has problems not just Taurus , buy real ammo , end of problem

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have bought a 809 13rd mag to try in my TH9C and it fits great and with appox 80rds through it today with no problems at all

Mag Warehouse $27 -- shipped from Taurus / Miami in a Taurus package

I just bought 2 more --- the 17rds are on back order of course

The 13rd has a pikie extention on it already

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had the same issue recently. Some folks say theirs will chew up anything. Then there’s some of us that have experienced this same thing. Only with steel or aluminum cased.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Brett
I have NO idea about the 17rd fitting the TH9c
I took the chance and ordered a 13rd mag for the 809c and it worked great , and I'm glad it worked out that way so I have 4 13's as carry and 1 17rd for range
GunMagWarehouse.com order for the Taurus 809c

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the reply....GMW has been out, but I found some 13rdrs at Cheaper Than Dirt and they have been working just fine. If I ever run across some 809/17rdrs, I'm going to take a chance and get a couple of them to try as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
JoH, you probably know this by now, but JIC.....I have personally confirmed that the PT809c 13rd mags (#510809c13) DO fit and function in the TH9c just fine. Now I'm working on finding some 809/17rd mags to test.....

·
Super Moderator
35,426 Posts
I'm going to stop by Academy in a couple of weeks when I have an oncology appointment in Victoria. I want to look at the little TX22 if they have one, but if they have a TH9C, I might just be too tempted to pick one up. :D I have a couple of 9s I like, one full size and one pocket sized. THAT keeps me from being too interested in another 9, but I love my hammer guns. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts