Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely love the TH9, but something is worrying me; at seemingly random times (but frequently) the first round in the magazine is coming out and sitting loose in the firearm. I swapped to the second magazine the firearm came with, but it is still happening. I cannot find anything online for this (or for any firearm doing this). Does anyone have an idea what is causing this and how to fix it? Although I shoot very well with the TH9, this issue is causing me to rethink my trust in this firearm to protect myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When, in your motion to load the gun is this happening? Are you trying to put 18 rounds into a 17 round mag? (My 809 mags will take 18, the TH mags might, if I force it). Are you loading the mag with the slide open or closed? Can’t see how it would be possible for the mag to release 1st round with the slide closed. Slide open? Yes, I could see it if you were slamming the mag into position. I have owned the TH9 for less than 6 months and shot nearly, if not just over, 1000 rds thru it. Only issues I’ve had are operator error, not getting the mag locked into place and, failure to eject aluminum cased shells (some don’t have any issue with the latter).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When, in your motion to load the gun is this happening? Are you trying to put 18 rounds into a 17 round mag? (My 809 mags will take 18, the TH mags might, if I force it). Are you loading the mag with the slide open or closed? Can’t see how it would be possible for the mag to release 1st round with the slide closed. Slide open? Yes, I could see it if you were slamming the mag into position. I have owned the TH9 for less than 6 months and shot nearly, if not just over, 1000 rds thru it. Only issues I’ve had are operator error, not getting the mag locked into place and, failure to eject aluminum cased shells (some don’t have any issue with the latter).
The first round in the magazine is coming loose while the firearm is holstered iwb.

In regards to loading; with slide back I put a round in the chamber, close the slide, decock, then insert the magazine with 17rounds.

I've put about 600 rounds through it, so far no issues when using it as well. This is the only issue I've had with it and it's an odd one; I've never had a firearm nor heard of one doing this before.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
You should load the pistol from the mag, decock, then load mag again and reinsert. It is not recommended to load chamber by dropping in a round as it may damage ejector claw when returned to battery.

·
Registered
317 Posts
With a round chambered, slide closed, magazine correctly seated, I can’t envision where a cartridge would be found loose in the gun. How are you discovering the issue?

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
With a round chambered, slide closed, magazine correctly seated, I can’t envision where a cartridge would be found loose in the gun. How are you discovering the issue?
ahh yea strange to me as well!
so you have a loaded chamber and the slide is closed but the top round is coming loose??
I don't know where it would go to or how the magazine spring could over come the steel slide bottom??
if its (the top round) is popping up and out with the slide open then the mag lips are way out of adjustment I would say.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I wonder if the gun is being loaded from the mag with more than one round in it and that mag is being left in the gun. I had a pistol that kinda drug the next round in the mag forward when the top round was chambered. Then if you pulled the mag out with a round in the chamber the top round in the mag would catch and get stripped out of the mag and then fall out of the mag well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First noticed it when I went to clean the firearm of any denim lint. Took the mag out and the round came tumbling out, but the round in the chamber was still in its place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ahh yea strange to me as well!
so you have a loaded chamber and the slide is closed but the top round is coming loose??
I don't know where it would go to or how the magazine spring could over come the steel slide bottom??
if its (the top round) is popping up and out with the slide open then the mag lips are way out of adjustment I would say.
It's like it's getting pushed out, rather then popping through the lips.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It's like it's getting pushed out, rather then popping through the lips.
Rounds are supposed to be "pushed out" of the front edge of the magazine. They don't pop up vertically through the lips. My question is related to where you are finding a loose cartridge. There is no free space in the gun when the slide is forward and a magazine is fully inserted. Sometimes the top cartridge will ride forward a bit, and if a loose magazine is carried in your pocket a cartridge can fall out. Otherwise I can't figure out what you're seeing.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
First noticed it when I went to clean the firearm of any denim lint. Took the mag out and the round came tumbling out, but the round in the chamber was still in its place.
1. Did the mag drop free, or did it have to be pulled out? If it had to be pulled out, it's possible that chambering one round dragged the next round partially out of the mag, so that pulling the mag dragged the cartridge the rest of the way out.

2. I'm not an expert, but I'd strongly suggest that if the way you carry it results in your firearm picking up lint, you should find another way to carry it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Took the mag out and the round came tumbling out, but the round in the chamber was still in its place.
I overlooked this post when I answered previously. Others have much more expertise than I do in the detailed functioning, but I’m guessing the magazines might need a bit of adjusting. OTOH, if the gun is functioning properly otherwise, I’m not sure this is a problem. I’m interested in what others have to say.

·
Administrator
40,264 Posts
I had a pistol that kinda drug the next round in the mag forward when the top round was chambered. Then if you pulled the mag out with a round in the chamber the top round in the mag would catch and get stripped out of the mag and then fall out of the mag well.
Makes the most sense so far. If the pistol functions like it should, I see this as just an annoyance. Odd that it does this with both mags, but possible.

Reactions: 68Firebird
1 - 16 of 16 Posts