Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting to replace my nightstand gun (Ruger SR9E) with a Ruger SR40, or so I thought, until I spotted the Taurus TH40 on gun deals. Never paid much attention to them before and when I saw it was hammered fired and also DA/SA I became very interested. So comparing it to the SR40 at around the same price point, I find much more I like about the Taurus and definitely want to give one a chance rather than the Ruger.

TH40 comes with two 15 round mags where the SR40 only comes with one 15 round and one ten round mag. I like the inconspicuous loaded chamber indicator of the Taurus compared to the rather large flag sticking up on the Ruger. The Glock-ish field-strip and reassembly of the Taurus is a big plus compared to removing a TD pin. Not something I care to have on my carry guns, but the fully ambidextrous controls of the TH40 may actually be handy under certain circumstances during home defense so I really like that feature. And there's the nice plastic case and mag loader that comes with the Taurus.

The only negative things I've read about the TH series (9 or 40) is the gritty trigger reported by some, and one had a firing pin break after 1000 rounds, that's it!. That and the fact that if the gun has any issues that required a trip back to Taurus, it may take several months to get it back. Trigger is not a big deal as every gritty trigger I've experienced smoothed out nicely with use. As for firing pins breaking, I've read about more happening with Sig and S&W than any others so it's a non issue with a Taurus as far as I'm concerned. Now as I understand it, customer service from Taurus leaves a lot to be desired, but if (big if) by chance I ever need to send the gun in for repair, I've got several back-ups to use in its place until it returns.

Thoughts?

Administrator
You sold me! Comparing the difference in the two, I think you already know which one you want. I don't rely much on the opinions of others and buy what I want. If it doesn't work out, I can always go with option number two.

Premium Member
I'd go with the Taurus, but that's what I do. Looking at your location, I'm surprised you wouldn't just go over to Prescott and pick one up at the factory!

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I'd go with the Taurus, but that's what I do. Looking at your location, I'm surprised you wouldn't just go over to Prescott and pick one up at the factory!
I do drive past Ruger Road probably twice a week, lol.

I ended up ordering a TH40 online about ten minutes ago, after going to a few local stores first. Didn't take long to remember why I usually buy online. Looking forward to giving it a good workout when it gets here. Going to load up 3-400 rounds of ammo tomorrow in anticipation. Can't wait to give a full range report.

Premium Member
I do drive past Ruger Road probably twice a week, lol.

I ended up ordering a TH40 online about ten minutes ago, after going to a few local stores first. Didn't take long to remember why I usually buy online. Looking forward to giving it a good workout when it gets here. Going to load up 3-400 rounds of ammo tomorrow in anticipation. Can't wait to give a full range report.
I was in Sedona last week (ever eat at Elote?) and I told my wife that next time we're out there, I'm going to tour the Ruger factory (that is, if they give tours). Heck, when you tour a winery or a brewery, they give you samples. What do they give you when you visit a gun factory? Probably nothing but an "itch"!

Super Moderator
My TH9 has been superb. I got it when they first came out. I was wanting a hammer fired 9mm DA compact enough and light enough for Concealed Carry add I found it. :D I love the older Rugers, but they fell into the striker fad. I still have a Ruger .45, a KP90DC, great gun but a bit bulky for EDC.

I've yet to have any problem with the TH9c in 1500 rounds.

Supporting Moderator
Just make sure you inspect it before handing over any transfer fee money, and then tear it down and CLEAN it well before heading out too shoot it!
Also load up the mags and let them sit a day or 2...................:)

Reactions: jwc007 and funflyer

Supporting SuperModerator
I was in Sedona last week (ever eat at Elote?) and I told my wife that next time we're out there, I'm going to tour the Ruger factory (that is, if they give tours). Heck, when you tour a winery or a brewery, they give you samples. What do they give you when you visit a gun factory? Probably nothing but an "itch"!
You drove right by my place, and didn't even let me buy you coffee.

WELL!!!! *in that angry wife voice*

:D

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't tried Elote but have found several great places to eat. Red Rock Cafe in Oak Creek is one of our favorites. Sedona has become so touristy that we usually just drive through without stopping when we're on a day trip to Flag.

As for a Ruger tour, forget it, unless you know a big wig that works there. My uncle was a Metallurgist who worked for Winchester and once took my brothers and I for a tour of the plant in New Haven. Walked in like he owned the place so it was obviously not a super secure facility like the manufacturers are today. Too bad I wasn't old enough to appreciate what I was looking at back then, but somewhere I still have the rifle tie clip that they gave me that day. I believe that was in 1969.

Premium Member
You drove right by my place, and didn't even let me buy you coffee.

WELL!!!! *in that angry wife voice*

:D
You have a place near Sedona? Next time I'm out, I'll let you know. We keep pretty fluid in our plans, so things usually don't get firmed up until the last minute, but I'll give it a try!

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up the TH40 from my dealer today and am extremely impressed. For a full size 40 cal, it seems well balanced and I really like how the grip feels in my hand. Feels much better in fact than the Ruger SR's, and equally as good as any of my M&Ps or 1911s.

First thing I did when I got home was to field-strip it for a good clean and lube. The pistol was actually pretty clean to begin with but did have some powder residue in the barrel. However, it was as dry as a bone and I couldn't find even a hint of oil anywhere on it.

The trigger is surprisingly smooth in double action (10-1/4 pound pull), with the exception of a light click felt as the sear passes the hammer block or half cock notch. This must be what others felt as notchy but in no way is it considered gritty. Single action breaks at 5 pounds consistently, with just a hint of creep and is actually very nice. The reset is short (1/4") but does have a a slight click (false reset) before the actual reset. That click is ever so slight and I doubt anyone would notice it when at the range unless they were slow bullseye shooting.

As for the mags, loading wasn't bad at all. The last few rounds were definitely harder than the first but nothing to complain about.

The only issue, if you can even call it an issue, that I found with this pistol is that both sights were installed to the left. Nothing that won't be corrected before I take it to the range, which will be on Monday. Report to follow.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Hit the range this morning and fired 50 rounds of factory 180gn Federal along with 150 of my reloads. Reloads consisted of 165gn and 180gn Gold-dots, 155gn and 180gn XTPs, 165gn and 180gn coated flat point, 155gn Berry's plated round nose and my cast 175gn powder-coated flat points.

Reliability and Function
Happy to report that the TH40 fed, fired, and ejected all 200 rounds without issue. Rapid fire, slow fire, one handed or two, the TH40 was rock solid. Even purposely limp-wristing I couldn't get it to fail or jam. Ejection was consistent, spitting every piece of brass out about 8 yards to the 4:00 position.

Accuracy
Although some groups had a slightly low, high, or left POI, every bullet and load grouped surprisingly well. From a sandbag rest at ten yards, best groups were under 1" with most at, or under 1-1/2". Most accurate JHPs were the 165gn Speer Gold-Dots, which are what I plan on loading for home defense. 6.5 grains of CFE-Pistol, velocity averaged 1050fps, grouped at .950".

Recoil
For a .40 cal, the TH40's ability to handle recoil is quite good, excellent in fact. It handled recoil so well, follow-up shots were both quick and predictable which made double/triple taps effortless. I was even able to empty 15 rounds in under 10 seconds into a target at 8 yards and keep all 15 rounds within 4-3/4".

Conclusion
This Taurus far exceeded my expectations in every way, from fit in the hand, build quality, reliability to accuracy. Having owned and fired many thousands of rounds through full size pistols from 9mm, 45ACP, 38 Super to 10mm, I can honestly say the TH40 can hold its own with the best of them, and at a price point most others can't even come close to.

Attachments

Super Moderator
Thanks for a super comprehensive range report. :D

Reactions: funflyer

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Happy to report the TH40 is still batting a perfect thousand at 500 rounds fired.:clap: 17 different bullet/powder combinations (handloads) and almost all are accurate keepers. This is a record out of all my other pistols and calibers. Looking to get a TH40C now.

Registered
funflyer this is a great thread you started
I have a TH40C and love it , the grip is the same length as the G2 and overall length is appox 1/2" longer , makes it great for me CCW
I only shoot my own cast bullets and it really likes the RNFP , I had a problem with a TCSWC , the edge of the SWC would catch on the mouth opening at the top of the chamber , a little polishing with 1200 grit took care of that
I think the TH40C shoots great , my TH9C showed me the correct size of pistol for me to carry so I just had to have another .40
I also changed out the hammer spring to a Berreta 92 12lb cut to the same length as the TH40C and ole boy I got the trigger pull to be lighter than my SIG 2022 .40 and I also use Federal primers without a FTF and well over 1000rds
As you said " The TH40 can hold it's own with the best of them " I agree !00% as my 5 9mm pistols just don't get used much anymore.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
funflyer this is a great thread you started
I have a TH40C and love it , the grip is the same length as the G2 and overall length is appox 1/2" longer , makes it great for me CCW
I only shoot my own cast bullets and it really likes the RNFP , I had a problem with a TCSWC , the edge of the SWC would catch on the mouth opening at the top of the chamber , a little polishing with 1200 grit took care of that
I think the TH40C shoots great , my TH9C showed me the correct size of pistol for me to carry so I just had to have another .40
I also changed out the hammer spring to a Berreta 92 12lb cut to the same length as the TH40C and ole boy I got the trigger pull to be lighter than my SIG 2022 .40 and I also use Federal primers without a FTF and well over 1000rds
As you said " The TH40 can hold it's own with the best of them " I agree !00% as my 5 9mm pistols just don't get used much anymore.

I've had good luck with SNS 180FP, 165 RNFP, and cast Lee 175TC. Good to know about the SWC, I almost ordered the 145 Lee mold.
Is there a difference between the TH40 and TH40compact hammer spring? I'd give the 92 spring a try if it would work in the full-size Taurus. I've put lighter hammer springs in all my 1911s and have never had a problem igniting Winchester primers.

Registered
Hey funflyer
My Lee 175 mold drops at 184 and shoots great , working now to see how low I can go with Clays
162 LRNFP cast shoots great --- my favorite
157 TCSWC cast with a wide meplat that shoots great also , the other TCSWC I have has a narrow meplat that the TH40C and my Sig 2022 did not like , so that mold is in the back corner
The Berreta 92 hammer spring should work just fine ,it is appox 1/2 longer than the TH40C . You will see as soon as you pull out the hammer assy. on the TH40 , witch is real easy
Remove the slide , Hammer out one pin that holds the hammer assy. , drop the hammer , use your punch to pry the hammer up between the hammer and dove tail appox. 1/4
inch , while pulling the hammer assy up with you fingers pull trigger slowiy and watch where the trigger bar connector is in the hammer assy , the connector will remove itself as you pull up the hammer assy and pull trigger , to easy
With a pair of pliers Pull the hammer spring strut until the strut is out of the hammer , a real tight grip on pliers
I cut a couple of less coils off to be shorter than the TH40C spring to ease of installing the 92 spring , you will see
I started off with Winchester primers and got 1 out of 20 FTF so I just use Federal primers now along with other pistols and no problems

The TH series in .40 s&w is perfect for CCW

1 - 19 of 19 Posts