Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a poll on TFL under the "revolver" forum for the "best revolver maker" that is limited to Ruger, S$W, and Colt. The OP has their head in the sand, is living in the past, or is terribly niave! Someone please put up a link for us to all pay a visit and contribute appropriately.

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
Another case of bashing, I reckon. I must say, though, that I see Taurus as the "best for the money" and danged good at that! However, best overall? My opinions on this would depend on the category of revolver, too. I love single actions and the Blackhawk (Ruger) IMHO is hands down the best of the best of single actions (unless you consider Freedom Arms). But, Smith and Wesson has a huge variety of finely crafted firearms. Does Colt even MAKE revolvers anymore? I've never been a big fan of Colt, anyway, and rank Taurus higher regardless of price.

All the manufactures have strengths and weaknesses. Ruger's strength is they're built to last, strong to the max. They're accurate (all above choices including Taurus are accurate). Ruger does not, however, make a large selection of guns, nothing pocketable, only the SP101 (a rather excellent little gun in .357) for concealed carry. And, DA triggers on Rugers are usually pretty rough and stiff. The good side is they're easy to make a NICE trigger out of. All it takes is a Wolf spring and some honing or a little dry firing.

Some completely write off Smith and Wesson because of.....THE LOCK. I'm not sure how valid that is. If you don't wanna use the lock, just don't lock it. There are rumors running around of some of the .357 airlites having locked themselves on firing, but hey, every brand has its lemons. Might be some truth to it, though considering the lock is on the side of the gun and recoil force is in the same plane as the locking action of the lock. I still haven't made up my mind on it, but the only guns I've heard doing that are the .357 airlites and that's a gun I don't like firing, anyway, LOL.

JM 2 cents. I won't sit here and argue that Taurus is the best, but certainly they build very, very good guns and priced so I can afford them. I'm very impressed with the three I own now, specially the little M85UL and the 4" M66. These two are as good as anything I've ever owned from Smith and Wesson. The 3" M66 is an older gun with the older lock work and its trigger doesn't compare to a Smith. But, it's strong, accurate, and a good gun never-the-less.

If you're talking used guns from all eras, Smith and Wesson had its bad years and good years. I have never owned an old Colt, so I can't compare them. The Taurus just gets better with time, newer the better IMHO. Rugers, well, they're a constant. I've heard they're having some problems lately, but I don't know about that. The new one's I've seen don't seem any different from any of mine in quality.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I believe on that thread I voted for Ruger. I like Ruger equally as much as I do Taurus. However, I recall seeing another thread elsewhere and I can't recall at the moment if it was in the revolver or pistol section, but it had many makers represented but guess which two were absent from that list also? Yep, Taurus and Ruger, so I cast my vote for 'other'.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love my 605. Why would I pay $550 for a Smith 60 when I bought the 605 for $257 new in the box from Bud's? No way is the 60 worth double my 605.

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
Rebailey said:
I love my 605. Why would I pay $550 for a Smith 60 when I bought the 605 for $257 new in the box from Bud's? No way is the 60 worth double my 605.
Actually, in my experience, Smith J frame triggers of recent manufacture are pretty rough compared to Taurus. So, you could make a case that the Taurus is a better gun on that account. Considering the price difference, though, I really don't care if the Smith trigger is better, you can do some gunsmithing for 250 bucks difference. My little small frame M85 has an awesome DA trigger, though, one of its strong points.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts