Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
35,288 Posts
I like that alot. What caliber is it?

I may have to invest in something like this someday soon. I think that as long as speed isn't required, it would be a great rifle to shoot and maybe hunt with.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I like that alot. What caliber is it?

I may have to invest in something like this someday soon. I think that as long as speed isn't required, it would be a great rifle to shoot and maybe hunt with.
It's a .36 caliber. It's a squirrel rifle. For big game, you want nothing smaller than a .45 or larger. I shoot a .53 cal plains rifle myself.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I have a SS T/C Greyhawk 50 caliber right handed rifle and a left handed Cabelas blued 54 caliber rifle. They are fun to shoot but slow to reload.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Because of the title, I was a little afraid to open this thread. Congratulations on your new smoke pole.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
She looks great!

Let us know how she shoots.

I'm honored to be an enabler! :D:D:D

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
Because of the title, I was a little afraid to open this thread. Congratulations on your new smoke pole.
:biggrin: I was thinkin' the same thing. Kinda' glad I took the chance...;)...niiiiice rifle!

·
Registered
24,605 Posts
Congrats on you new to you muzzle stuffer.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Congrats on a nice looking rifle. All this black powder talk may finally get me to pick up the Flintlock Pistol kit I have been wanting for a couple of years.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
It's a .36 caliber. It's a squirrel rifle.
Question: Has anybody here actually tried shooting a squirrel with one of these? Accurate enough? Meat damage?

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Question: Has anybody here actually tried shooting a squirrel with one of these? Accurate enough? Meat damage?
As long as you shoot it in the head you will be ok! It is like shooting a squirrel with any 30 cal bullet. You will have to work up a powder load for the weight of the bullet and the distance you plan on shooting to get accuracy down for shooting such a small target. I suggest you read as much as you can about loading muzzle loaders, before you start and I don't mean what you can read on a forum. ......The Hawken's style that is pictured is a good shooter, but I prefer the modern inline for many reasons, which you will discover from reading reports on them and doing some comparison. Good luck and have fun

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
Its been decades but yes. A direct hit will leave a decent sized hole but it's still edible. Just like in the war of northern aggression these are bone crushers, not like today's high velocity rounds.

The trick is to splinter the squirrel, aiming very close to him but not directly. Letting the tree splinter and take him out. At least that's how I learned it.

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
As long as you shoot it in the head you will be ok! It is like shooting a squirrel with any 30 cal bullet. You will have to work up a powder load for the weight of the bullet and the distance you plan on shooting to get accuracy down for shooting such a small target. I suggest you read as much as you can about loading muzzle loaders, before you start and I don't mean what you can read on a forum. ......The Hawken's style that is pictured is a good shooter, but I prefer the modern inline for many reasons, which you will discover from reading reports on them and doing some comparison. Good luck and have fun
Thanks, but I have zero interest in actually taking up blackpowder shooting. I was just curious because these are always called "squirrel rifles" and they seem to me to be a bit too much gun.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
Thanks, but I have zero interest in actually taking up blackpowder shooting. I was just curious because these are always called "squirrel rifles" and they seem to me to be a bit too much gun.
An old "Squirrel rifle" I love to shoot is an old .22 that was my great grandfathers. :D "Squirrel rifle" just means it's a smaller caliber, more suited for small game not specifically squirrels, than its larger caliber counter parts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts