Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOURCE: The Texas women who carry their guns EVERYWHERE | Daily Mail Online

(link above includes photos not shown on this page due to TA limits)

Dressed to kill: Texas women who take their guns EVERYWHERE - and they all insist they won't hesitate to open fire in self defense

• Women, all of whom are from Texas, were captured by photographer Shelly Calton, 55, for her series, Concealed
  • Most of them carry handguns, rifles and shotguns around with them for protection, while others collect firearms
  • Ms Calton, who was taught how to shoot by her father as child, said subjects come 'from diverse backgrounds'
  • Photos see women carry guns while embracing children, relaxing in homes, parking cars and going for walks
  • Texas law allows public display of long guns, like rifles and shotguns; does not permit 'open carry' of handguns

By Sophie Jane Evans For Dailymail.com

Published: 11:41 EST, 30 December 2014 | Updated: 14:43 EST, 30 December 2014

From embracing their children in the comfort of their homes to parking their cars in lots, these women are pictured going about their daily lives.

But these everyday scenes have one striking thing in common - the female subjects are all carrying guns. And they are all willing to pull the trigger.

Most of the women, all of whom are from Texas, carry lethal weapons - including handguns, rifles and shotguns - around with them for protection.

Others, meanwhile, collect firearms like they might Wedgwood china, a music icon's merchandise or designer shoes.

2454284F00000578-2891395-image-m-73_1419954259183.jpg
Armed and ready: This image, captured by photographer Shelly Calton, 55, shows a woman named Megan posing with a handgun in Texas

2454273200000578-2891395-image-m-76_1419954336923.jpg
Glamorous: Meanwhile, in this photo, a woman called Donna is pictured holding a firearm while standing beside her car in a parking lot

2454277200000578-2891395-image-m-117_1419955299198.jpg
Everyday scene with a deadly difference: Ms Calton, who was taught how to shoot as a child, said growing up in Houston was synonymous with an induction into the state's gun culture. Above, a woman named Amy relaxes with her dog on her bed, just inches away from a handgun

245427DB00000578-2891395-image-m-120_1419955322192.jpg
In her bedroom: Ms Calton, who met her subjects through a network of friends, said that while it is a known fact that women own guns, they often do not openly discuss it openly. She said that her own experience with guns made the women feel comfortable to discuss their guns

2454281E00000578-2891395-image-m-123_1419955347198.jpg
Photoshoot: 'Some receive guns passed on through their families. Others choose to own handguns due to their personal experiences, perhaps they have been threatened or attacked,' she said. 'A few of them because loved ones want them to be able to defend themselves if needed'

'Recently, the option of carrying a gun for protection began to present itself, showing up through the women I photographed for my book Hard Knocks, Tex Offender's Pistols and again in the body of work I called Nécessaire, Colt 44,' she said.

'A friend's startling experience in a hair salon of a woman's handgun accidentally going off and the bullet ricocheting around the salon was a catalyst for my renewed interest in firearms in today's culture and specifically in women who carry concealed handguns.'

MANY MORE PHOTOS IN THE ORIGINAL NEWS STORY: The Texas women who carry their guns EVERYWHERE | Daily Mail Online

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for sharing this refreshing and most interesting article. :thumb:

Reactions: ICUKev and mingaa

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Love those Texas Ladies! :)

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Great post!

Here is a photo of a friend with her Christmas gift, from her husband, I think. I don't like to identify people with their weapons so I have erased her eyes, nose and mouth.

Lady packing heat - anon.jpg

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Donna a bit too old (looking) for me, no offense meant.
Went to the Daily Mail link.
OK, a couple more I would pass on, again, no offense to the ladies, just not my type.
Why do we have to get all these stories and articles from the U.K.?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
image.jpg
No idea what state but I nicked this from the net!! ;)

Reactions: darbo and Sekol

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
^Now THAT is what I'm talkin' about!

(250 more to go!)

·
22,309 Posts
Why do we have to get all these stories and articles from the U.K.?
You see different things from the outside looking in. I once read a UK journalist who said something about (referring to Americans) people who will make friends in elevators. I thought "yeah, we do that. Hmm, guess we are pretty outgoing by comparison."

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've lived in Texas for 30-years. I've known lots of women who have owned and carried firearms. As one of them told me once, "At 120 lbs I can't hope to fight off a 200 lb male but at 120 lbs plus 125 gr I stand a chance". You can't argue with that!!!

PS She was brought up on a ranch in South Texas and shot 'way better than I did at the time.

PPS She was fun to be around.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Michigan girls pack also....

Michigan Tan Line.jpg

Except in the water....

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Gun culture across our country is so very different in different states! Gun ownership should be "normal" for everyone, not just for Texans or folks from the plains states, or for men!

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
I fully approve this thread..

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
My boss and her assistant manager both carried concealed handguns to work. They're who persuaded me that guns weren't all bad and that I should look into getting one. Being from MD, that was a hard concept (I moved out of MD 5 years ago). But hey, if the ladies could do it then so could I, and now I carry wherever legal. Gosh I love WV!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Thanks for posting, my message for the 3 women that had their fingers on the trigger of their guns is go signup for A Firearm Safety Class !

Reactions: atcroft and darbo

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
"Donna" needs to keep her finger off the trigger, as does Mrs. Calton. Just sayin'. If you don't know and heed the safety rules, you shouldn't carry.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yep - Ms. Calton too! That took a 'zoom' on the iPhone!! ;)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Thanks for posting, my message for the 3 women that had their fingers on the trigger of their guns is go signup for A Firearm Safety Class !
Who is #3!?

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I thought I should repost this picture in this thread as it seems fitting....

Sensibly-Dressed Wal-Mart Shopper.jpg

Reactions: jwc007
1 - 20 of 37 Posts